Long Way Round - world trip on motorcycle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long Way Round - world trip on motorcycle

Texas T
11-07-2004, 13:54
Anyone watching this on the Bravo channel? It is on Thursday nights but I caught a re-run this morning. http://www.longwayround.com/lwr.htm

They were in the Ukraine and were taken in by a local. All the houses were pretty run down but this guy practically had a mansion. The homeowner called a bunch a friends over for a party, and when the homeowner came down the stairs to play a song for everyone he had his guitar in one hand and an AK-47 in the other!

There were AK's all over the house. Supposedly the guy ran the local electronics store, but I kinda think he had his paws into a lot more profitable businesses. :)

I'd love to take a trip like this, but only if I was rich enough to afford the support team that travels with them.

norton
11-07-2004, 15:44
Originally posted by Texas T
Anyone watching this on the Bravo channel? It is on Thursday nights but I caught a re-run this morning. http://www.longwayround.com/lwr.htm

They were in the Ukraine and were taken in by a local. All the houses were pretty run down but this guy practically had a mansion. The homeowner called a bunch a friends over for a party, and when the homeowner came down the stairs to play a song for everyone he had his guitar in one hand and an AK-47 in the other!

There were AK's all over the house. Supposedly the guy ran the local electronics store, but I kinda think he had his paws into a lot more profitable businesses. :)

I'd love to take a trip like this, but only if I was rich enough to afford the support team that travels with them.

Haven't seen the show, don't get the Bravo channel. I have read several articles about people riding M/c around the world. One that stands out in my mine was a young couple who were riding a bike with sidecar around the globe.
I always wanted to ride the Iron Butt, the ride around the U.S. One of my favorite stories about the I/B involved two guys who rode Triumph's (not the new version, the original old British version) and finished!
And I thought when i rode my 78 Bonneville from my home in north eastern Indiana to the Mid Ohio Sports car track and back that I was on an adventure.

Texas T
11-07-2004, 17:57
Originally posted by norton
I always wanted to ride the Iron Butt, the ride around the U.S. There are various rides you can do to qualify for Iron Butt membership; they start at the 1000 mile level and go up. The 11,000+ miles in 11 days hitting all four corners of the lower 48 is the biggie. ;P

I am amazed at the mileage some of these guys rack up. There are members that do over 100,000 miles a YEAR.

For anyone who is interested...
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

We host several rides, the most notable being the 11-day, 11,000+ mile Iron Butt Rally[tm]. Additionally, the Iron Butt Association hosts the Saddle Sore 1000[tm] (a 24 hour 1,000 mile ride), the Bun Burner 1500[tm] (1,500 miles in 36 hours), the Bun Burner Gold[tm] (1,500 miles in 24 hours), the 50cc Quest[tm] (Cross Country in 50 hours or Less), the National Parks Tour Master Traveler Award[tm] (visit 50 parks in at least 25 states), the coveted 10/10ths Challenge[tm] (10 consecutive 1,000 mile days) and the almost-impossible to get into 100K Club[tm] (100,000 miles or more in one year).

norton
11-09-2004, 05:49
I met a couple of I/B competitors who are BMW riders. These guys were serious high mileage riders.
The most mileage I have done in one day was about 650. I rode from Eau Claire Wis back to my home on a 1981 Yamaha 750 Seca. It had a little bikini fairing on it.
I was trashed after that ride.
I also did the home to Atlanta Ga. ride on a Kawasaki Concours in one day, about a 600 mile ride. It was a little easier, with the full fairing.