my 11 year old son when shooting for the first time today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my 11 year old son when shooting for the first time today

Jaegergirl
11-07-2004, 20:03
i'm such a proud mom....

we purchased a used ruger 22 several months ago because we thought it would be fun/cheap to shoot and it was a pretty good deal. our son has been wanted to shoot it for months but we haven't been able to take him to the range. we were at my grandmother's today and let him shoot it for the first time (she has 90+ acres of farmland so we set up a makeshift "range" outside).

it was so neat to see my husband (a former marine and my son's stepfather...his birth father and i divorced when my son was 3), teach him the proper shooting techniques and such. my son was a little nervous at first but got the hang of it pretty quick. wouldn't you know, that little bugger is a pretty darn good shot. he was totally thrilled by the experience!!!! the 3 of us spend an hour or so shooting and it was really cool.

i just wanted to share with people who would appreciate it. :)

ColoradoPacker
11-07-2004, 20:54
Coolio!

We couldn't wait as long as you, and my Son started shooting his .22 earlier this year after he turned six. I always say, "if they're old enough for school..."

http://www.subaruplanet.com/images/benshoot1.jpg

http://www.subaruplanet.com/images/benshoot2.jpg

My 9 and 11yr old daughters can out shoot him of course - they've had more practice :cool:

Jaegergirl
11-08-2004, 05:53
well, i'm sure when my 3 year old is old enough (6 or so), he'll be shooting too. :) i think it's good to teach them when they are young. he really enjoyed it.

great pictures, btw. i'm so bummed i didn't take my camera. if the weather is nice on turkeyday, we'll be taking the guns out to gma's house again so i'll get some them.

c-mama
11-08-2004, 07:26
Way to go, Jaegergirl! You are right to be a proud momma!

ColoradoPacker
11-08-2004, 23:51
Originally posted by Jaegergirl
well, i'm sure when my 3 year old is old enough (6 or so), he'll be shooting too. :) i think it's good to teach them when they are young. he really enjoyed it.

great pictures, btw. i'm so bummed i didn't take my camera. if the weather is nice on turkeyday, we'll be taking the guns out to gma's house again so i'll get some them.

I didn't remember the camera either - that was my Nokia cell phone camera! ;z

forthehalibut
11-11-2004, 21:52
Congratulations! It is good to see kids learning the proper use/respect of firearms. When/if we have kids, I will be sure to get them out shooting by age 4.

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 22:16
I wish I had learned to shoot when I was six...look at all those years I missed :(

I am glad the little ones enjoyed it! It is never to soon to learn how to defend oneself when the need arises.

ColoradoPacker
11-11-2004, 22:53
Originally posted by misskitty5077
I wish I had learned to shoot when I was six...look at all those years I missed :(

I am glad the little ones enjoyed it! It is never to soon to learn how to defend oneself when the need arises.

Actually, my primary goal was not self defense.

1) wanted them to learn gun safety and respect the power they hold, to make them safer should they be around guns at a friends house or at our own house

2) Wanted to take away their curiosity that would make them search the house and take locked cabinet doors off the hinges just to get to the guns to hold them, like I did when I was a kid.

3) I wanted to teach them self control, to be able to breath steady and hold a steady shot, and develeop some muscle memory that would last through adulthood to be a fine shooter

4) I wanted the kids to be able to compete against each other with something other than the X-box on the boob tube, and they love to compare group sizes and point out their siblings "flyer"

5) I wanted to de-brainwash the lies that are put into their heads that guns are bad, or gun owners are fanatics.

bachchoy
11-11-2004, 23:06
^c

MrsKitty
11-12-2004, 08:13
Originally posted by ColoradoPacker
Actually, my primary goal was not self defense.

1) wanted them to learn gun safety and respect the power they hold, to make them safer should they be around guns at a friends house or at our own house

2) Wanted to take away their curiosity that would make them search the house and take locked cabinet doors off the hinges just to get to the guns to hold them, like I did when I was a kid.

3) I wanted to teach them self control, to be able to breath steady and hold a steady shot, and develeop some muscle memory that would last through adulthood to be a fine shooter

4) I wanted the kids to be able to compete against each other with something other than the X-box on the boob tube, and they love to compare group sizes and point out their siblings "flyer"

5) I wanted to de-brainwash the lies that are put into their heads that guns are bad, or gun owners are fanatics.

I understand this, but if push came to shove, they could defend themselves too is what I meant.

Kids need to get out from in front of the XBOX and TV more. Sunlight is something very few kids get enough of today :(

ColoradoPacker
11-12-2004, 16:07
I did let my 11yr old shoot my PM( and it whacked her on the forhead - the .22LR is in a locked box in the trunk of the car, so if push came to shove, she'd have to shoot the PM9 if I was down and out of the battle.

forthehalibut
11-13-2004, 20:11
Originally posted by misskitty5077
I understand this, but if push came to shove, they could defend themselves too is what I meant.

Kids need to get out from in front of the XBOX and TV more. Sunlight is something very few kids get enough of today :(

No kidding! It's amazing there isn't a mass outbreak of rickets!:soap:

pete1953
11-14-2004, 22:58
I started both my daughters shooting when they turned 8 years old. It was like a right of passage for them. They each have their own rifles and shoot in my club's Junior Rifle program. My wife Lynn shoots also and both of us have our CCW. We both have taken classes with some combat preparation training from a wonderful woman instructor. We've since taken family and friends shooting at my club(mostly women/girls). Yes, I know I owe some information on my club. Some to follow, but not tonight. It's fun family time and we learn/reinforce skills that may save our lives. They still prefer chocolate and shopping! I bring chocolate to the range for them.