Home Networking Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Networking Problems

dave5339
11-08-2004, 20:35
Hi all!

You guys have managed to fix all my other problems so I figure I'll give you a shot at my latest issue.

I've got a laptop and desktop set up on a wireless network. They share the cable modem just fine. I've managed to surf GT from about everyroom in the house that I've tried, (including the "reading room" but that's an Ox & Alex forum post...)

The problem that I am running into is that I can't share files or the printer across the wireless network. I've went into both computers and right clicked on the items and enabled sharing. I get the little hand symbol underneath the item but when I go to look for that item in my laptop under, My network places/entire network/microsoft Windows/mshome there is nothing there.

What am I doing wrong that I can't swap files across the network and share the printer?

Help!

Thanks in advance and Semper Fi

greenlead
11-08-2004, 21:45
Go to control panel>network settings and enable file sharing?

dave5339
11-08-2004, 21:48
Network connections or network settings? There doesn't seem to be a network settings control panel.

Semper Fi
Dave

lomfs24
11-08-2004, 21:58
What operating system are you using? WinXP I presume. If you have installed service pack II you may have to check your firewall to make sure it is letting file and print sharing though.

You can also run the network wizard in XP and it will, at the end, create a disk for you to use in all your other computers to make sure your network settings are all correct.

My first thought is that you don't have the Network Name the same in all the computers.

To check this go Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name (tab). This will tell you the name of your computer as well as the name of the Network it thinks it's on. One may be MSHOME, one may be Windows, one maybe WORKGROUP. Once those are all the same you shouldn't have a problem.

I should have asked this first. Can you ping all the computers on the network?

fastvfr
11-08-2004, 23:16
You must also set the printer as Shared in the options of the printer itself, located o/c in the Printers & Faxes folder (in the CP) of the printer PC.

dave5339
11-09-2004, 04:32
Hi all,

The printer is set to shared on the desktop, (laptop can't see the printer).

I am running Windows XP home edition on my laptop, it is a new laptop, I'm not sure if it is running SP II or not. The desktop is running an old, cracked version of XP that is several years old. It has not been updated and is not running SP II.

Both computers have the same network name, mshome. The desktop has folders that have been added to teh mshome directory for the purpose of sharing.

Have not tried to ping the desktop from the laptop or vice versa...

Thanks,
Dave

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 09:25
If you can ping IP addresses then it is a Windows settings problem. If you can't ping IP addresses it is a networking problem.

Clyde
11-09-2004, 11:09
Desktop
Start | Run |CMD |Enter
Black box comes up type ipconfig then Enter
You should see an IP address (Guessing 192.168.X.X)
(If you have multple IP addies - you do Not want the one starting with 169.x.x.x)
Write IP Address down
Then Type EXIT to close Black Window

From Laptop
Start | Run type \\IP Address
example is \\192.168.1.100
then enter

you should now see the shared printer - Right click and select Connect.

If know Joy let us know.
What are you using for AP?

Vic303
11-09-2004, 12:23
Thanks for the tips folks, Dave will check it all out this evening when he gets home to the laptop.
--Vicky
(Dave's other half)

dave5339
11-09-2004, 17:50
Ok all,

I can't ping the desktop IP from the laptop... Looks like a networking issue.

A question, I see different Windows IP Configuration Host Names on the laptop and the desktop, do they have to be the same for the machines to network?

Thanks,
Dave

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 18:00
I don't believe they do have to be the same host name.

Networking 101 (The Readers Digest version)
You have to have all computers in the network on the same subnet.
IP address tells your computer where it is on the network.
192.168.1.2 is Comp 1.
192.168.1.3 is comp 2.
192.168.1.1 is a router (optional)
If your subnet is 255.255.255.0 then all computers with the subnet of 192.168.1.X can talk to each other.

If you don't have a router that hands out IP addresses to all computers on the network via DHCP then you will have to do one of two things. Hardset all your IP's or you will have to make one computer on the network a DHCP server. Preferably a computer that is on all the time.

I just looked back through the thread as saw that you are sharing a cable connection. Is your router handing out IP addresses? If you hardset your IP's then you will have to make sure your gateway is set to what ever IP address your router has. That is the gateway, where you can "get out" to the internet.

DNS should probably be set to your router or a DNS IP address that you are familiar with.

dave5339
11-09-2004, 18:06
Ok, another stupid question.

I just tried to run the network setup wizard on the desktop. For the connection method I selected "this computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer". My desktop is hard wired to my wireless router that is hard wired to my cable modem so this should be the right choice correct?

When I click next I get the message that "Cannot complete the network setup wizard. Other computers cannot connect to the internet thorugh this computer. In addition to it's internet connection. this computer must have a connection to your network".

Ok, what in the heck am I doing wrong? The desktop is connected to the wireless router via the cat 5 cable. Do I need a wireless card for my desktop too?

Semper Fi

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 18:10
First of all, no you don't need a wireless card for your desktop.

Second, your computer is not directly connected to the internet. It is connected through a residential gateway (your router). You need to click the second option not the first. You would click the first option if your computer had two network cards.

dave5339
11-09-2004, 18:15
Originally posted by lomfs24
I don't believe they do have to be the same host name.

Networking 101 (The Readers Digest version)
You have to have all computers in the network on the same subnet.
IP address tells your computer where it is on the network.
192.168.1.2 is Comp 1.
192.168.1.3 is comp 2.
192.168.1.1 is a router (optional)
If your subnet is 255.255.255.0 then all computers with the subnet of 192.168.1.X can talk to each other.

The Subnets are the same, 255.255.255.0 The Ip's are like you say, 192.168.X.XX0 and 192.168.x.xx1 Dhcp is enabled. Dynamic IP is enabled on both machines as my IP is not fixed. Default Gateway, DHCP server, and DNS servers all match each other. Really the only Ethernet thing that does not match is the physical address...???

Thanks and Semper Fi

grantglock
11-09-2004, 18:15
Originally posted by dave5339
Ok all,

I can't ping the desktop IP from the laptop... Looks like a networking issue.

A question, I see different Windows IP Configuration Host Names on the laptop and the desktop, do they have to be the same for the machines to network?

Thanks,
Dave

they should not have the same hostname

grantglock
11-09-2004, 18:17
do you have any firewall software on the computers like zonealarm, mcafee security suite or something like that?

dave5339
11-09-2004, 18:24
I am running Zonealarm. When I run the network setup wizard on the desktop Zonealarm sees the new network and I ok it...

Semper Fi

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 18:31
You said earlier that you could not ping one computer from the other. Can you ping the gateway IP address? If you can't there may be something in ZoneAlarm that isn't set right. If you can't ping the gateway IP then kill ZoneAlarm in all the computers and runs each of the ping tests again.

I have never been a fan of ZoneAlarm but I guess it works for some.

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 18:32
Also see if you can see your network normally with ZoneAlarm off. If you can but you can't with ZoneAlarm on then there is your problem. If not, we will keep digging.

dave5339
11-09-2004, 19:30
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Hat's off to Grantglock and lomfs24 ;c ;c ;c

It was a Zone Alarm issue. Once I dropped the firewall, there everything was, printer, shared files, everything!

Now I just need to get Zone Alarm to behave and things will be right where they need to be.

Thanks all for the help, this ones for you! ;c

Semper Fi

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 19:53
I am glad you got it working. As far as ZoneAlarm goes. Well, I already said what I thought about ZoneAlarm, but if you decide to keep it you are on your own configuring it. I have not worked enough with it to be of much help.