Who Has the Best Deal on BASIC Desktop PC's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who Has the Best Deal on BASIC Desktop PC's?

Nalapombu
11-09-2004, 18:03
Hey,

We are thinking of getting my mother a new PC in the next few weeks. I have been looking in the weekend papers for deals and almost all of them are the "rebate" deals, which I don't like. All I am looking for is a BASIC PC that has a monitor, speakers and the usual stuff. Nothing fancy here. My mother wouldn't know the difference between a Hard Drive and a floppy drive. She just needs to be able to connect via cable modem, send and receive email with and without pics and listen to some music while on the net. Aside from some occasional typing, that's about it.
I checked Dell and Gateway and right now Gateway has the better package deal. They have one system that goes for $349 or so and it looks like what she would need. Are there any other places I should take a look at before we order?
Thanks for the info.

Nala

Washington,D.C.
11-09-2004, 19:01
A friend recently got the cheapest desktop deal at Dell.It's a 2400 system.It works great.If you look under small business instead of home and home office you will find chesper deals.Some don't include the monitor in the base price.Business base support is only 90 days.You might want the one year with the home systems though.I think they have a choice of $50 rebate or free extra memory or a free CD writer.

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 19:06
Stay away from Best Buy. I am currently "fighting" with them. I took a laptop in for repair July 17th. Mine is still not back. They did however hand me a laptop that has my serial number sticker on it (it has been peeled off) but the model number is not even the same model number that was sent in.

They played switch-a-roo on me and then are claiming that it has "liquid damage" and they will not repair it.

The lawyers are involved now and a fraud case is pending.
(More to follow when the details are sorted out. I will post a thread here for all to see when it is complete.)

fastvfr
11-12-2004, 03:00
Just remember that those "Bargain" PC's must be made of the lowest-quality parts available for the OEM to clear a profit.

Which leads to replaced CD-RW's and HDD's, along with MOBO's, floppies and PSU's.

You can build a far, far better PC than anything an OEM sells for $400 or so, w/o monitor.

But there's a 3-year warranty on the CPU, and some other parts have lifetime warranties.

And by FAR the best aspect of avoiding OEM PC's: you get a real OS, not their 'Value Added' BS version!!

Let's see Gateway top that!

Hailstorm
11-12-2004, 06:18
Web TV?

11-12-2004, 07:25
Go with an inexpensive Dell (they are not low quality) with only the hardware you need, and keep the extra software to a minimum. Then format/reinstall the OS before you do anything else. Dell is one of the few OEMs that ships an OS CD with the PC so you can do this easily.

proguncali
11-12-2004, 10:03
GO DELL.

You get the 3 year on site service, and now they will even come to your house and set it up for you.

Sounds like a perfect combo for your mother.

You can get an extra little discount by going through my site.
http://www.isworks.com/affiliate.htm

Check it out

unixglocker
11-15-2004, 00:53
Walmart.com w/o the windows tax.

Packin' Heat
11-15-2004, 22:25
HA! Perfect thread. I was just about to post a similar question. I need a basic PC for my parents too.

what about something like eMachines as seen HERE (http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T2862)?

If I were to build one (which I can), what components would you recommend? Actaully what I need the most help with is picking the motherboard, chip and video card. The other stuff like CDRW, case, HDD are easy.

proguncali
11-16-2004, 01:04
Seriously...

For a BASIC machine...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V588&l=en&oc=D30SO&s=dhs