Help! My computer crashed and I can't access Hotmail since reboot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help! My computer crashed and I can't access Hotmail since reboot

Trebor
11-10-2004, 02:43
My computer crashed and rebuilt to an earlier registry. I had just updated to IE 6.0 service pack before the crash. I can't tell for sure whether it reverted back to IE 5.0 or not. I tried downloading the update again,but it won't work now.

Now I can't sign into any of my Hotmail accounts. I'm getting the
"Page not found or DNS error" message.

I've tried the troubleshooting listed on that page. I did notice this:

"Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed."

When I click on "About IE" it reads: "Cipher Stength 0 bit" Is this the problem? How do I change to 128 bit connection security?

This is driving me crazy. Any help is appreciated.

R_Ladies_Man
11-10-2004, 03:50
yes 0 is a bad sign and version 5 was capable of 128bit and higher with a security update directly from microsoft for secure servers over a network.

do you happen to have any cds that have a newer version of interent explorer on them? if you ask microsoft to send you the xp sp1 or sp2 update on a cdrom it will include IE 6 for you on it.

jbutenhoff
11-10-2004, 08:29
Also download and run Spyboy S&D, Ad Aware SE, CW Shredder, and Kazaabegone. I have seen systems where spyware was present then an application was either updated or installed with bad results. Last week I fixed a system with a similiar problem. Also get rid of any Peer to Peer applications as well.

Jamie

Soujurn
11-10-2004, 08:37
Download and install Mozilla Firefox 1.0 browser. Use that instead of IE.

http://www.mozilla.org

Malkuth
11-10-2004, 08:42
Or you can just download the whole version of IE6. And install it that way.

kahrguy
11-10-2004, 08:48
Try FireFox Browser.IE no good