web accelerator for dial up! Astounding speed increse! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : web accelerator for dial up! Astounding speed increse!

R_Ladies_Man
11-10-2004, 03:26
I just switched ISPs and this new ISP has a program called web accelerator that compresses pictures and java and some other things. i can choose the settings of how much compression I want, it makes pictures look worse but if i want to see one i can choose to have it shown in all it's quality.

I am very happy and excited about this. I can only get a 26.4 dialup connection so this is an awesome increase in speed! it is much faster then 2x my old speed

R_Ladies_Man
11-10-2004, 03:45
OMG guys my interent is so fast this is like having broadband!

I LOVE THIS! I used to click on pages like microsoft.com and leave the room and come back almost 30 or 45 seconds later and the page wasn't loaded. would not be fully loaded for about a minute. now it is only a matter of seconds!

Bullwinkle J Moose
11-10-2004, 05:58
Haven't noticed the degraded picture quality yet, eh?

podwich
11-10-2004, 06:05
That's cool. Although I do like my 3 Mbps download speed. :)

Norman
11-10-2004, 08:48
You're still on dial-up??

;P

Can you still access BBS's with that thing?? Or 1989?

Willard
11-10-2004, 09:28
Yeah, that sounds like what I use at home, with Bellsouth.net. It works really well.

BTW, affordable highspeed internet isn't available everywhere yet. Some folks still have to deal with dial-up.

Cali-Glock
11-10-2004, 09:33
Originally posted by Willard
Yeah, that sounds like what I use at home, with Bellsouth.net. It works really well.

BTW, affordable highspeed internet isn't available everywhere yet. Some folks still have to deal with dial-up.

Even unafordable highspeed internet is not available everywhere. The only option I might have is satelite, and from what I have read it is pretty flaky and thus in my eyes is not worth the investment. ($600-1000 up front and $80 a month) I am not sure it will work where my home is located anyway. We are lucky to get 14.4 dial up! ;P It sucks big time.

BillyBoy
11-10-2004, 09:53
You can get internet through DirecTV. Usually its free equipment, or like 50 bucks. I don't know where you're getting 600 bucks from.

Ian_Cognito
11-10-2004, 10:14
Last time I checked, DirecWay satellite was like $500 upfront (or spread out over a year) and $60 per month. If it's free, or low-cost equipment now, SIGN ME UP!
I am also stuck with dialup @ about 24k.

Glocker74
11-10-2004, 10:22
I had dial up for a year, and consistently ran at 50-52 megs. $23 bucks a month, MSN.

I switched to Charter broad band, 3 meg, supposedly. But I have to pay $43 a month for the privelege. I have heard someone else here pays only $30 for the same service.

I wish it were cheaper...:)

Jlarue
11-10-2004, 10:29
I myself could not live without my DSL after so long with it dial up just killd me. I can however understand the problem when dial up is all you have then you make the best with thay. I am Just spoiled with my 6Mbs DL and my 768K upload speed. There is of course the fact that it does cost quite a bit, but oh well it's worth it too mr.

R_Ladies_Man
11-10-2004, 12:14
satilite has a very long ping time which makes it slow to sites you have not been to before. for you other guys on dialup though I say give this technology a try and you will not be disaponited.

paynter2
11-10-2004, 16:03
I was on dial-up until two days ago - no choice (besides satellite). I was running at 17.2KPS - lord it was slow...

I'm over 10 miles from my phone company hub - but the guy said he installed a repeater every .8 mile and it works great!

Get on your phone company to bring DSL to you. It doesnt' cost much more - at least in my case - $12/month (more than I was paying for phone and dial-up). Plus, my land line is not available for in/out calls.