apple I book vs IBM thinkpad R40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : apple I book vs IBM thinkpad R40

wired
11-10-2004, 06:24
which is the best for digital home photography and surfing the web.
Cant decide between the two. Any help or experiences appreciated

Fast Shadow
11-10-2004, 06:34
Well.. one of them runs nearly every application there is.. and the other runs a few ultra expensive ones that nobody supports. But you'll be "different"! ;z ;z ;z ;z

jbutenhoff
11-10-2004, 07:26
Go with the IBM for home use and surfing by far. The Apples are ok for certain applications, but for the other 99.9% the IBM will rule the roose ;)

Jamie

vote Republican
11-10-2004, 07:31
iPhoto rules. I haven't used Macs much recently, but OS X is a serious operating system with the strength of Unix and the ease of use of a Mac. Far fewer viruses on the Mac, and it's not tied to IE and all of its security flaws like Windows is.

FLIPPER 348
11-10-2004, 08:06
the IBM is cheaper

the iBook is better

For what you want to do the iBook will work flawlessly. You can add Word for Mac for a bit of extra $$$.................it will work better that is does on a PC. I have never had the need forany virus protection on any of my macs, nor have they ever upset me with performance issues. (ever)

saluki9
11-10-2004, 08:48
nd the other runs a few ultra expensive ones that nobody supports. But you'll be "different"!

Oh, you mean those free applications that are better than anything available for Windows that come with the computer and are perfectly integrated with the hardware? That must be what you're talking about. I smell a troll

I would get the iBook. If websurfing and photo management is what you need it for. I personally own a Thinkpad T40 and for a Windows machine I think Thinkpads are second to none. If I didn't neet it for work I would have bought the Apple without a doubt.

vote Republican
11-10-2004, 08:50
Fast Shadow, I think you just got called a troll!!

;z

sgtlmj
11-10-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Fast Shadow
Well.. one of them runs nearly every application there is.. and the other runs a few ultra expensive ones that nobody supports. But you'll be "different"

If you buy an expensive app, you can bet that it has a lot of support behind it. My Mac networks flawlessly with my PC, and I move files back and forth all the time with no compatibility issues. I do PowerPoint on my Mac, as well as Apple Keynote. MS Word, Excel, Access.... All of these work on my Mac just fine. If I find an app that doesn't work on my Mac, I'll just start up VirtualPC and run it that way. It's like running stuff on a Pent. II, but it works just fine.

For digital photography, you'll want a Mac. Photoshop for the Mac costs the same as it does for the PC. If you aren't interested in intense layer manipulation, you can always go open source. www.gimp.org is a good program that works on the PC as well as OSX.

I have been in the PC world, building, fixing, using them since the days of the 8088 processors, and just recently bought a PowerBook. Wow! What a difference in computing! The thing just doesn't crash, I don't have to scrub it for spyware all the time, it's fast and pretty. It just works, and the OS is a long ways ahead of XP. Soon to get another huge jump with OS X 10.4.

I have never had to find a driver for anything that I plugged into my Mac. I stick a camera on it and it recognizes it and starts pulling the photos off. It even displays a little picture of what my camera looks like. Cell phone, USB storage, etc. Just a smooth process all around. There are apps for the PC that help you organize your photos, but Mac has this same thing built into its iPhoto for a long time.

Prices are comparable if not better than similarly equipped PC notebooks with the iBook starting out at $999. If you are, or know someone in school, you can get the edu store discount, bringing the starting price down to $799.

Do some checking. Mac has the apps for it you need, and with the exception of the high end video stuff, they all have roughly the same price as the PC versions. Open source is an option, with office suites, photo and video apps being offered there. Even Bill Gates says that MS Office runs better on a Mac.

I'll always keep a PC around for hardcore gaming and other trivial stuff, but I'm on my Mac 95% of the time now.

Good luck!

proguncali
11-10-2004, 09:01
quite the question....

While I thank Bill Gates for being the bane of my existance, and supplying me with plenty of IT work, the IBM will be a better utilitarian computer for you. Granted, you need to stay up on your anti-virus, and patches...but, a few preventative measures will go a long way....

Don't use IE! Use Firefox, it's free, blocks pop-ups and spyware. Use a spyware app or two, I do. Try spywareblaster and spybot S&D.

The computer is cheaper, and so are all of the apps.

Or you could get the IBM and load Linux on it...

In the end, they are all fine... It's just a matter of what you want to get out of it, and what you want to pay....

Have fun...

.....by the way, I can't stand Macs...

aircarver
11-10-2004, 09:04
Ibooks have a lot of problems. Failure of the logic board is almost a given (In Apple's defense I'll say that Apple turned around the warranty repair on this very quickly.) The Ibook also runs screen wires and Airport antenna wires through the hinges and when they break from flexing, it's on YOUR nickle. Very poor design. I won't be buying another. :(

unixglocker
11-10-2004, 09:27
Yeah me to, mine failed three times, but apple did fix it quickly everytime, but I couldn't trust it so I dumped it.
I think they have corrected these problems in new models
though.

Bottom line on this though is that notebooks ALL SUCK if compared to a desktop and you don't totally need the portability. Price, performance, reliability, blows compared
to a good desktop, and if space is a problem you can even go SFF desktop which are very compact machines.

Originally posted by aircarver
Ibooks have a lot of problems. Failure of the logic board is almost a given (In Apple's defense I'll say that Apple turned around the warranty repair on this very quickly.) The Ibook also runs screen wires and Airport antenna wires through the hinges and when they break from flexing, it's on YOUR nickle. Very poor design. I won't be buying another. :(

Deanster
11-10-2004, 09:27
OS X is a really great operating system - I run a 15-user Windows network at my business, and as the owner of the business (and the tech guy for the moment), it's a nightmare - we update virus software daily, scrub the machines for spyware weekly, and still we get stuff on the machines - someone got an e-mail virus last week that brought down our network until we could clean it off and restart the router. Only about 15 minutes, but no fun.

On the other hand, I run Macs at home, and don't even bother running antivirus or anti-spyware software - it's just not a problem. My browser is never hijacked, and the machines run flawlessly.

We use Windows at the travel agency I own because we have to - the specialized software from the global travel systems run only on windows, and even worse, only on Internet Explorer. As someone who uses both systems every day, and uses them for photos, web surfing, e-mail and graphics production, I'd buy a Mac in a heartbeat.

I'm also amused by the folks suggesting the IBM is cheaper than the Ibook - you might get a lower price on a Dell, but certainly not on IBM. A quick look at CDW says R40's start at $1650, and run up to $2200. Ibooks on CDW start at $944, and run up to $1490. The most expensive Ibook is $160 cheaper than the cheapest R40.

My only beef with Apple is that they don't do a great job supporting hardware flaws that crop up over time - although my experience is similar with all other manufacturers as well - just try sending a Toshiba or IBM back after 18 months. It's totally worthwhile to buy the three-year applecare package for a couple hundred extra.

In short, I buy Windows machines when I have to, and Macs when I can. Between home and my two offices, I administer 14 Win Xp machines, and five Macs - the Macs take about 1% of my administration time - about 1/10 of what the Windows XP machines require.

wired
11-10-2004, 12:26
Wow, clearly some very educated opinions here. Thank you all for chiming in.
Still unsure, but leaning toward a MAC.
My wife has an I bool 14" screen 1 month old and it is acting funny, vertical lines on the screensaver and a small horizontal box on the cursor. I am concerned about the spyware and virus issue, even though I am using a Dell desktop right now and scrub it weekly, I am not confident the antivirus gets everything.
Again, thank for the replies.

Rob26
11-10-2004, 19:26
Well I'd like to offer a bit of perspective here. If you're just going to use it for surfing the web from home and playing with pictures, buy a bottom of the line Dell desktop PC for $500. It will do everything that you need done.

That said, after 20 years of windows based machines I recently purchased an ibook. The new ibooks are $999 or $899 with the education discount. They are much faster than comparable windows machines (I know, I bought one 9 months ago) and the batteries last longer than a half hour (5 hours). And they have airport express already installed so that you can use wireless networks. Trust me, you'll need this capability now or in the very near future.

To get a windows laptop comparable to a $999 ibook you'll have to spend twice as much money.

That said, if you have to plug into any windows networks think seriously about buying a windows machine. Coordinating an apple with a windows network is supposed to be straightforward but it's proving to be a bit of a pain. I'm finding very hard to get used to a new operating and programs systems. That said, the iLife suite of free applications is simply awesome in comparison to any of the crap you get on a windows machines.

But don't get me wrong. I like the Apple iBook very much. The other nice thing about an Apple is that if something goes wrong you take it to an Apple store and they say, you're right, looks busted, and give you a new one. Try that with Comp USA! Also there is plenty of phone support and techs in the apple stores to help with any problems that crop up.

Just my opinion.

Rob26

morpheusfx
11-11-2004, 14:57
skip the ibook. Get a used Powerbook G4. They're faster(even older ones), more upgradable and have a bigger screen. If you get into photoshop, the 12 inch screen will drive you nuts with all yout palate windows. But whatever you get applewise, if you buy new, Buy the extended warranty. It's totally worth it. Even if you get a used powerbook, you can still find them with applecare. You might not need it but you'll be sorry if you need it and don't have it. Apple parts ain't cheap.