Pains while running [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pains while running

cellison1460
11-10-2004, 09:21
Here lately when I run I have been getting bad cramps in my calves and hamstrings. I can only run a little over a mile because of this. It seems to be somewhat of a new problem, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
C.L. Ellison

DonGlock26
11-10-2004, 09:41
Originally posted by cellison1460
Here lately when I run I have been getting bad cramps in my calves and hamstrings. I can only run a little over a mile because of this. It seems to be somewhat of a new problem, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
C.L. Ellison

I would suggest 10 minutes of walking and stretching the calves before running. You may have low potassium. Try eating more bananas.

Good Luck,

Don

bluemeanie
11-10-2004, 11:42
I am experiencing the same thing, after a six-week layoff. I'd suggest stretching more, too. Stretching throughout the day will help.

It seems to me that I've sort of lost my "gait" during my lazy spell, too, and that concentrating on being relaxed and loose while I run helps some. It also keeps me from pounding my knees as much.

akbound
11-11-2004, 09:47
Originally posted by cellison1460

Thanks,
C.L. Ellison
Hi C.L.,

With cramping in both of these muscles groups (calves and hamstrings) my first guess would be an electrolyte shortage and dehydration. Insure you are drinking plenty of water to insure proper hydration. Many Americans are in a constant state of dehydration and suffer from symptoms that they all too frequently fail to recognize for what it is.

Someone already mentioned a potassium shortage, but also insure in addition to having enough potassium that you have enough magnesium and calcium. Frequently these are minerals that may be depleted in addition to potassium.

One other thing that may help is when you are stretching insure you include plenty of slow, full range of motion, passive, stretches. Particularly for the calves you want to , plantar flex and dorsiflex (toes up and toes down)! This can not only help to stretch the calf muscles but can be instrumental in the prevention of shin splints and plantar fascitis.

Also by stretching the hamstrings you very well may help to prevent later problems with the lower back. So insure you include stretches for the hamstrings.

If you continue to have problems you may want to consult a doctor that specializes in sports medicine. Hope this helps!

Dave

BikerGoddess
11-11-2004, 10:01
Change anything just before the problem started? Shoes? Running surface?

Laura

cellison1460
11-11-2004, 12:44
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
Change anything just before the problem started? Shoes? Running surface?

Laura

I didn't really change anything, I quit. I was having problems with my bench press so I of courseconcentrated on it more than running and where I slacked off on running Iam paying for it now.

BikerGoddess
11-11-2004, 15:13
Concrete is really bad to run on and your shoes are very important. So are stretching, hydration, and mineral supplementation.

I'd think one of those things should solve your problem.

Laura

gunguru1
11-13-2004, 19:44
cellison1460,

I would try running slow and easy for a while and see if that helps.

Regards,

gunguru1

runnergirl
12-05-2004, 23:54
if you're over 40, and it continues, see a doctor. there's a teensy tiny chance it could be a clot.

Andrew Tacquard
12-09-2004, 16:17
If your starting back again try walk run cycle for a few weeks to build your legs back up. Also, your calfs might be shin splints. Becareful they suck. Motrin and ice helps me with shin splints.

modgun
12-09-2004, 16:34
Longer stretching and more walking.
After not running for a while you my even need a week or two of 80-90% walking with only a tiny bit of running.
You got to ease back into it. Especially if you are a bigger guy.
I am 5'10" and 190# and I run/walk 4-8 miles, 6 days a week. I stretch for about 30 minutes before and 20 after.
2 or 4 bananas a week is good too just in case.

MeanMike
12-09-2004, 18:06
also realize running shoes wear out just like anything else.... ill notice bad knee pains when my shoes are worn... usually about 100 hrs time of running on hard surface.