New Wireless Router--slow connection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Wireless Router--slow connection

MrsKitty
11-10-2004, 10:43
My old wireless router crapped out Monday so I had to get another. The new one is a Netgear MR814v2.

The desktop connected to the router is connecting to the Internet fast, over 2MB. My wireless laptop is connecting at 54K max!! :(

I do not have file sharing enabled. I have tried both secured and unsecured connections without any difference. The router is not picking up anything else.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A45-S150 with integrated wireless. Running Windows XP Pro. The Windows firewall is disabled and I am running Norton.

Why is the laptop so slow? It does this regardless of location--anywhere from two foot away to in another room. I have went through everything on Netgear's website and tried reconfiguring but nothing helps.

I am just before trying a different router ;U

Thanks for any help :)

grantglock
11-10-2004, 12:08
do you have to register the MAC address at the ISP?

when a customer buys a new router on my DSL network they need to call me with the MAC address before they can get any speed out of it.

308endurdebate
11-10-2004, 13:49
Originally posted by misskitty5077
My old wireless router crapped out Monday so I had to get another. The new one is a Netgear MR814v2.

The desktop connected to the router is connecting to the Internet fast, over 2MB. My wireless laptop is connecting at 54K max!! :(

[stuff deleted]

Why is the laptop so slow? It does this regardless of location--anywhere from two foot away to in another room. I have went through everything on Netgear's website and tried reconfiguring but nothing helps.

I am just before trying a different router ;U

Thanks for any help :)

miss kitty -

if you directly connect the laptop to the router via wire, is it slow still? can you connect from the lpatop to the desktop and copy files? is that fast?

-k

Ljunatic
11-10-2004, 19:45
I am using the same router and averaging just under 1mb @ about 35 feet from the router through two walls.
I am using 128 bit encryption and mac addresses on channel 11. SSID broadcast is off.
Firmware revision is 5.01 .
Browser is Mozilla 0.9.3
ZoneAlarm free personal firewall version 5.5.062.000
AVG virus protection.
I also have the SPI active

Don't know if this helps or not :)

Halo
11-10-2004, 20:05
Try changing the wireless channel. In my experience, channels 6 and 11 give optimum results.

You might also want to check on any firmware upgrades. I have the same router, and had to upgrade the firmware to get a Centrino laptop to work with it properly. A lot of laptops use power saving methods that periodically "poll" the access point (rather than continuous communication). Is your laptop maintaining the connection ok?

Stephen
11-11-2004, 07:44
IIRC channel 6 is the 108Mps channel for Netgear.

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 13:07
Originally posted by grantglock
do you have to register the MAC address at the ISP?

No

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 13:09
I can't figure out how to change the channel ^2

Wired is fast--no problems with anything there.

I haven't had a chance to share files yet--somebody is always on the other computer ;)

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 13:10
Originally posted by Halo
Try changing the wireless channel. In my experience, channels 6 and 11 give optimum results.

You might also want to check on any firmware upgrades. I have the same router, and had to upgrade the firmware to get a Centrino laptop to work with it properly. A lot of laptops use power saving methods that periodically "poll" the access point (rather than continuous communication). Is your laptop maintaining the connection ok?

Yep, it is always an excellent connection.

I read thru the firmware upgrades and they don't appear to apply to me as I have a P4.

Stephen
11-11-2004, 17:09
I can't figure out how to change the channel ^2

Wired is fast--no problems with anything there.

I haven't had a chance to share files yet--somebody is always on the other computer ;)

Try entering in this URL from your directly connected computer:

http://192.168.0.1/

There should be a configuration screen there and you can select channels (as well as other settings) there.

The login for Netgear is:

Username: admin
password: password

Original, huh?

CHANGE THESE VALUES!!!!!

Good luck.

Stephen
11-11-2004, 17:11
I read thru the firmware upgrades and they don't appear to apply to me as I have a P4.

I am assuming that the firmware referred to is for the router and not your machine(s).

Edited to add: Here's the product support page: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/MR814v2.asp

Lots to look at there.

lomfs24
11-11-2004, 18:12
Sounds like a channel problem. Do you have a 2.4Ghz phone in the house? While I don't have problems with my phones I have heard some people do.

FWIW, 802.11b is 11Mbps 802.11g is 54 Mbps and the Super G is simply two G channels bound together to get 108 Mbps.

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 23:29
Originally posted by lomfs24
Sounds like a channel problem. Do you have a 2.4Ghz phone in the house? While I don't have problems with my phones I have heard some people do.

FWIW, 802.11b is 11Mbps 802.11g is 54 Mbps and the Super G is simply two G channels bound together to get 108 Mbps.

Not a phone, but another item with the same frequency. I had forgotten it but was thinking about it when I got the router. Funny how the other one I used to have worked and this one won't on the same frequency! That is it...guess I will try another one.

Are all wireless routers 2.4Ghz?

lomfs24
11-11-2004, 23:32
Before you try another router simply change the channel.

802.11 b and g routers all use the 2.4 Ghz freq. 802.11a uses another frequency but the equipment is not something you will pick up at your local Best Buy or Staples.

Stephen
11-12-2004, 07:27
Originally posted by lomfs24
Before you try another router simply change the channel.

802.11 b and g routers all use the 2.4 Ghz freq. 802.11a uses another frequency but the equipment is not something you will pick up at your local Best Buy or Staples.

Exacto!

We have 3-2.4Ghz phones, 1-900Mhz phone and 1-2.4Ghz baby monitor (video/audio) in our house and my wireless is typically a 94%+ anywhere in the house.

Please see my above posting for changing the channel... you will save yourself a lot of grief.

11-12-2004, 07:30
Are all wireless routers 2.4Ghz?

Mostly. 802.11B, 802.11G and 802.11N are all 2.4Ghz. 802.11A runs at 5Ghz, but "A" hardware is more expensive / not common.

Most cordless phones also run at 2.4Ghz, microwaves operate at 2.4Ghz but their EM energy is usually very well contained inside the unit. But if you say it doesn't matter where in the house the laptop is I wouldn't think its a hardware or RF issue.

Is the laptop thats having this issue XP SP2? Maybe this will help : http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

MrsKitty
11-12-2004, 10:43
Yippee!!

Channel 6 is a lot faster!!!

Will another channel get me faster than 816 Kbps wireless? Any suggestions as to which to try? ;f

lomfs24
11-12-2004, 12:02
Try them all, then pick the fastest one. It all veries on the specific RF in your house and area. There is not pat answer on that one.

MrsKitty
11-12-2004, 22:15
Ok. Will do ;)