2 meter dipole help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2 meter dipole help

Glock's Rule
11-11-2004, 21:47
I want to try to build myself a dipole for 2 meter. I will only be monitoring on it, i've tried searching, but i couldn't really come up with anything. Any of you guys have some ideas for me. i'll try more than one, i mostly just like getting into these kinda projects to see if i can make one work. I could probably make one out of coax. How long would the wire have to be for the 144-148 range?

RandySmith
11-11-2004, 22:05
Make each leg 19-1/4".

Randy

Glock's Rule
11-11-2004, 22:35
the length of my cable coming into the radio won't matter will it?

uhlawpup
11-12-2004, 11:05
Nope. Aside from some loss if you use too much of the wrong type of coaxial cable, it shouldn't matter at all.

In fact, when I used to travel to the UK a lot, this is what I would do for 2 meters:

I take a set of those old, collapsing "rabbit ear" type TV antennas with me, folded up in my luggage. I had them marked for 19 inches, and I replaced the 300 ohm twin lead with some low-loss RG 8x or RG 58 coax with a BNC connector on the end. When I got there, I'd just hang them from a door with a bit of string, stretch them out to the pre-made marks, attach the BNC to my talkie, and I was on the air as G0JCZ.

Glock's Rule
11-12-2004, 21:33
Hey. thanks for that idea. I have a set of those around here somewhere. time to find em' and take em' apart.;f I think i even have some rg 58 also. This one should be fun. Thanks again for that.