What Makes for a Great Wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Makes for a Great Wife

forthehalibut
11-11-2004, 21:57
This is what makes my wife the best [and any lady with these qualities are in HIGH demand]:

1) She loves shooting

2) She loves fishing

3) She loves cooking/baking--even from scratch

and, to complete the home-run I hit with this one:

4) She HATES shopping!!;+ ^5

MrsKitty
11-11-2004, 22:13
Gee, does two out of three count?

I have never been fishing but I think I would love it--just being in nature.

I only like shopping somedays, other days I can't stand it but never hate it.

I love shooting and cooking/some baking.

Melissa Ann
11-12-2004, 08:31
Guess I'll make a good wife some day.

My boyfriend isn't into fishing a lot, so we're ok there - I don't mind it (we go once a year or so with his dad down the shore) but I don't crave fishing. lol.

I thoroughly enjoy shooting.

We reload together too - he casts the bullets, I sort them, we size and lube them, he does the actual reloading, I wipe the extra lube off, then we put them in the boxes.

I love cooking and baking. So does he.

I hate shopping. When I have to go, I go with a list and it's in and out.

c6601a
11-13-2004, 03:45
Originally posted by misskitty5077

I love shooting and cooking/some baking. I add it up as three out of four, but good math skills were not on the list. Your response implies that you are open to the idea of making a good wife. What makes a good husband according to you?

forthehalibut
11-13-2004, 20:43

I love shooting and cooking/some baking.

Despite the math skills;) three out of four isn't bad--especially since you are willing to try--and probably love--fishing.~2

You can be my other wife, once we get settled in and move--just think of it two wives--sharing the workload--it'll be fun--you do like Alaska, don't you [we can branch from the Utah sect]?:drool: :ladiesmn:

kwikrnu
11-13-2004, 20:50
I think being a good wife includes:

cooking well
cleaning house
performing other wifely duties
agreeing with her husband

all w/o complaining.

:soap:

MrsKitty
11-13-2004, 22:34
Originally posted by forthehalibut
Despite the math skills;) three out of four isn't bad--especially since you are willing to try--and probably love--fishing.~2

You can be my other wife, once we get settled in and move--just think of it two wives--sharing the workload--it'll be fun--you do like Alaska, don't you [we can branch from the Utah sect]?:drool: :ladiesmn:

Geez, I can't count ;g Can you balance the checkbook? ;e

Never been to Alaska but I LOVE snow :cool:

MrsKitty
11-13-2004, 22:43
Originally posted by c6601a
I add it up as three out of four, but good math skills were not on the list. Your response implies that you are open to the idea of making a good wife. What makes a good husband according to you?

Let's see... a good husband:

Will let me buy myself toys ;f
Will pick up after himself at least part of the time
Will enjoy shooting or at least not cringe when I go
Will respect me for being ME
Will stimulate me during conversation rather than bore me
Will let me have my cats :)
Will be a steady provider
Will be a caring person willing to help others
Will balance the checkbook since I can't count...
Won't insist on having a dog in the house--I am allergic ;1
Won't mind me hogging the covers
Won't have a mother-in-law I can't stand

And of course, I resever the right to change my mind on these requirements at any given time ;)

c6601a
11-14-2004, 03:47
Let's see... a good husband:
Thanks for sharing the list. Lets go through it item by item:

Will let me buy myself toys
No problem. You will have to work hard to bust the budget.

I will have to work on this one. If you promise to pick up after me, I can go from picking up after myself ALL the time to doing it only part of the time.

No problem, we can shoot together.

If you are respectworthy then yes. If you are not, then we will not be together anyway.

That is a no-brainer. The question is, can you stimulate me intellectually?

Will let me have my cats
That one is a maybe, as I am allergic to many cats.

So far I have an excellent track record, but past performance is not guarantee of future performance.

Will the list of organizations I volunteer for help?

Have not bothered to balance the checkbook since 1992. I let Quicken do it. Does that count?

Won't insist on having a dog in the house--I am allergic
No problem. I am allergic to most dogs as well.

As long as you donít mind my snuggling up to you when you steal my covers.

That one you will have to figure out on your own.

When shall we plan the first date? What type of an engagement ring do you like? What are your measurements? (Of the ring finger) And most importantly, you are between the ages of 25 and 40?

And of course, I resever the right to change my mind on these requirements at any given time ;) Your prowess in certain areas will determine what other requirements you can get away with adding on :)

Skyhook
11-14-2004, 04:23
This thread has me thinking just how incredibly fortunate I am.
My wife: Hunts with me; likes shooting her handguns and rifles; says nothing when I purchase a new firearm, truck, tractor, motorcycle, airplane; works alongside me clearing our fields of wind-wrecked trees; is a warm, loving person who glories in her home, children, grandchildren. She's an above avg cook who likes raising her own vegetables in her gardens.
She has spent her time off from work the last three weeks helping me build my daughter's new home. And she is reluctant to spend a lot of funds on jewelry/clothing/etc.( All but a few of her jewelry items were gifts from me).
All the above, and more, is absolute truth-- wow!
This day I am saying a couple more prayers of thanks and I'll start by thanking the author of this thread!

forthehalibut
11-14-2004, 22:01
Skyhook--you're welcome! Glad to hear this is a good thread.:)

Misskitty5077--good thing you like snow. I can easily balance a checkbook--I keep mine updated continuously. I pay all the bills--no need in having my wife worry about that crap!;g

I am curious--you are allergic to dogs, but you have cats [and no allergies to them]? I love doggies myself--I have no known allergies [not even to poison ivy]. I do like cats, too--they make great moving targets!!;f ;f

BTW---what does the "5007" stand for?

c6601a
11-15-2004, 02:51
BTW---what does the "5007" stand for? Aaaaah. Another numerically challenged among us. I guess I will not be asking you to balance my checkbook in case you write down 5007 instead of 5077.

I sure hope you are not humor challenged :)

Bogey
11-15-2004, 07:30
I make a good husband to my wife because I.....

put the toilet seat down.

Bogey
11-15-2004, 07:39
Now...on the other hand....my wife is a great wife, not because of what she does or doesn't do, but for what she is.

She's a woman that loves God, loves her family, and doesn't particularly seek any approval from anyone or anything. She knows who she is, and what she wants....and God put her right in my path at the precise moment we needed each other. After almost 20 years, we still think alike, still haven't had any kind of big argument, and still love to spend time together regardless of what we're doing. (ok, caught me in that one..I hate chick flicks)

Still trying to get her to the range....but that will come, with time.

forthehalibut
11-15-2004, 21:51
Aaaaah. Another numerically challenged among us. I guess I will not be asking you to balance my checkbook in case you write down 5007 instead of 5077.

I sure hope you are not humor challenged :)

I AM NOT numerically challeneged! I am typing challenged! As long as I don't have to balance a checkbook with a typewriter, I'll be all right.;C

Besides, she may have changed her name--the numerical part--just to throw me off.;)

Now, the 5077 makes more sense--her birthdate is my guess.;x

bachchoy
11-15-2004, 21:54
Someone with the patience to put up with us(men).

:)

c6601a
11-15-2004, 23:25
I AM NOT numerically challeneged! ...From your reply it does appear that you are humorically challenged :)

forthehalibut
11-16-2004, 18:14
From your reply it does appear that you are humorically challenged :)

I AM NOT humorically challenged!! I have a great sense of humor, and will kick anyone's *** who says otherwise!!:soap: ;a

pete1953
11-17-2004, 22:38
I consider myself the most blessed man on earth. I have a wonderful wife, Lynn, who is caring, compassionate, a loving nurturing side for our children, and loves me unconditionally. We love, honor and respect each other, share in each others joys, triumphs, as well as provide inspiration and support in the tough times. We started dating in 1974, engaged in 1975 and married in 1977. I never fully realized the depth of love we would share in our lives together. She is my inspiration, a wonderful friend, partner, mother to our children, and of course a Hot lover. I am so happy and blessed to have her in my life. We are opposite in so many ways, but share common values and keep sight of what is most important in our lives and communicate this to each other.

MrsKitty
11-18-2004, 21:35
Skyhook--you're welcome! Glad to hear this is a good thread.:)

Misskitty5077--good thing you like snow. I can easily balance a checkbook--I keep mine updated continuously. I pay all the bills--no need in having my wife worry about that crap!;g

I am curious--you are allergic to dogs, but you have cats [and no allergies to them]? I love doggies myself--I have no known allergies [not even to poison ivy]. I do like cats, too--they make great moving targets!!;f ;f

BTW---what does the "5007" stand for?

The 5077 came from an old college password I had for email or something... not sure what now it has been so long ago. The first time I tried to register somewhere as Miss Kitty it had been taken so I became MissKitty5077 ;)

I am allergic to dogs but not cats. Odd as most people are allergic to cats instead of dogs, or to both. My allergist wants me to get rid of my cats but that ain't happening unless I develop an allergy to them :(

The list of things I am not allergic to is shorter than the list of things I am allergic to ;g

geminicricket
11-18-2004, 21:43
This is what makes my wife the best [and any lady with these qualities are in HIGH demand]:

1) She loves shooting

2) She loves fishing

3) She loves cooking/baking--even from scratch

and, to complete the home-run I hit with this one:

4) She HATES shopping!!;+ ^5

My wife hates guns. Hates fishing. Hates cooking, and Loves shopping.

MrsKitty
11-18-2004, 21:47
Let's see if I can answer this without making a mess...

Thanks for sharing the list. Lets go through it item by item:

Will let me buy myself toys
No problem. You will have to work hard to bust the budget.
I could have all the toys I want!!! :)

I will have to work on this one. If you promise to pick up after me, I can go from picking up after myself ALL the time to doing it only part of the time.
If I can have all the toys I want, I can do some picking up ;)

No problem, we can shoot together.
Yippee!

If you are respectworthy then yes. If you are not, then we will not be together anyway.
Yes, I am respectworthy.

That is a no-brainer. The question is, can you stimulate me intellectually?
When I can't, I can always amuse you instead. Life with me is never boring.

Will let me have my cats
That one is a maybe, as I am allergic to many cats.
Well....OK. I understand even if I don't like it

So far I have an excellent track record, but past performance is not guarantee of future performance.
Nope, but it is a good start.

Will the list of organizations I volunteer for help?
Yep.

Have not bothered to balance the checkbook since 1992. I let Quicken do it. Does that count?
Good enough for me.

Won't insist on having a dog in the house--I am allergic
No problem. I am allergic to most dogs as well.
That one was easy.

As long as you don?t mind my snuggling up to you when you steal my covers.
That is fine by me.

That one you will have to figure out on your own.
Well, that is too much to ask for, I guess...

When shall we plan the first date?
Gee, I am free tomorrow night

What type of an engagement ring do you like?
Something that doesn't have prongs or a raised profile. Doesn't have to be a diamond as blue topaz is my favorite stone. Two-tone metal is best for me.

What are your measurements? (Of the ring finger)
All my rings are too big right now, so I will have to get back to you on that...

And most importantly, you are between the ages of 25 and 40?
Yes.

And of course, I resever the right to change my mind on these requirements at any given time ;)
Your prowess in certain areas will determine what other requirements you can get away with adding on :)
;P ;P ;P

njrich
11-18-2004, 22:59
i knew i shouldn't have read this thread but i opened it anyway and now that i did and i sit here with tears running down my face i'm going to give you guys out there some advice.
"no matter how much you know you love her. tell her everyday look into her eyes and tell her you love her.when she talks listen even if the game is on or your reloading or whatever.kiss her hold her every chance you get.surprize her now and then.you don't like chick flicks(so what?)take her to one its only 2 hours of your time.sunday football and matches are all day.cherish what you have you never know when it will be taken away from you.

GOD CHOSE TO TAKE MY LOVING WIFE HOME.
december 11th will be 2 years.

pete1953
11-18-2004, 23:34
My wife, Lynn, is my love, my life, my everything. My heart sails high in the breeze and sings a song of joy. I tell her and show her every way I can every day. I feel for you! I can't imagine my life without her. she is my strength, my comfort, my oasis in life, my touch of heaven on earth! I shared a copy of what I printed here last night for the purpose of reinforcing my expression of love for her. You are so right, we need to express our love, spend time and share our thoughts and feelings daily.

c6601a
11-19-2004, 06:56
When shall we plan the first date?
Gee, I am free tomorrow nightIf we are local, we may have shared our last first date. My guess is that it would be too much of a coincidence that we are local.

What about meeting some place fun for a date? Vegas? Orlando? Other suggestions?

What type of an engagement ring do you like?
Something that doesn't have prongs or a raised profile. Doesn't have to be a diamond as blue topaz is my favorite stone. Two-tone metal is best for me.A female friend reffers to her engagement ring as a "sold" sign. Fortunately for women, men have evolved beyond their primal days and use rings to mark their territory rather than following a dog's example :)

The size of the ring has to be commensurate with the woman's beauty and desireability. I too like two tone metal -- a Gold/Platinum combination. I am partial to diamonds though, but not the marque cut. A ring with a marque cut diamond looks more like a Klingon weapon than a ring.

MrMurphy
11-19-2004, 07:56
My ex was very very beautiful (to me, and to everyone else too), but she had something of an inferiority complex (She knew she was beautiful, but she needed reminding).

It doesn't matter how good looking she is...... remind her. Some women need that.

And in her case, when we were talking about rings, she was not the possessive kind... she didn't care if it was a $30 ring or a $3,000 ring, as long as it came from me. Since she makes jewelry for a living, I guess the price thing didn't exactly matter to her. What mattered was the thought. :)

Unfortunately... it didn't get beyond that stage.:(

Skyhook
11-19-2004, 08:01
Originally posted by njrich
i knew i shouldn't have read this thread but i opened it anyway and now that i did and i sit here with tears running down my face i'm going to give you guys out there some advice.
"no matter how much you know you love her. tell her everyday look into her eyes and tell her you love her.when she talks listen even if the game is on or your reloading or whatever.kiss her hold her every chance you get.surprize her now and then.you don't like chick flicks(so what?)take her to one its only 2 hours of your time.sunday football and matches are all day.cherish what you have you never know when it will be taken away from you.

njrich, please accept my sincerest condolences. It is good to be reminded of the temporal situation so characteristic of our earthly lives.
God bless.

MrsKitty
11-19-2004, 08:06
Originally posted by njrich

It is really sad how we don't tend to cherish what we have until it is gone. Then it is too late... ;1

I am sorry you lost your wife so soon ;w

MrsKitty
11-19-2004, 08:11
If we are local, we may have shared our last first date. My guess is that it would be too much of a coincidence that we are local.

What about meeting some place fun for a date? Vegas? Orlando? Other suggestions?

I can't make it to Vegas or Orlando today :(

We are local if you are in Mayberry, RFD :)

A female friend reffers to her engagement ring as a "sold" sign. Fortunately for women, men have evolved beyond their primal days and use rings to mark their territory rather than following a dog's example :)

The size of the ring has to be commensurate with the woman's beauty and desireability. I too like two tone metal -- a Gold/Platinum combination. I am partial to diamonds though, but not the marque cut. A ring with a marque cut diamond looks more like a Klingon weapon than a ring.

I have a huge chunk of oval green glass (not even sure what kind of stone it is "supposed" to resemble but I like it) that a male gasped "that is a deadly weapon, not a ring!!" when he spotted it ;e

A sold sign--that is a good one :cool:

Mr Jody Hudson
11-19-2004, 08:46
I'm just posting here to keep an eye on this excellent thread - in case you need a minister...

And,

I like the reminder books that Dr. Laura puts out. They are reminder books because every man and woman already knows that all the things in there are correct and true but currently unfashionalble, in some cases, at least for those who can NOT get, have or keep a good relationship and marriage together.

For me a great wife would be a woman who reads the Dr. Laura books and says "Dr. Laura is right, she agrees with me!" And then, would help me train my kissing muscles! ;f They are a little attrophied currently and in great need of exercise!

Otherwise, the rest of the conversation here is RIGHT ON!!! ;z ;z

Wulfenite
11-19-2004, 08:49
Originally posted by MrMurphy

And in her case, when we were talking about rings, she was not the possessive kind... she didn't care if it was a $30 ring or a $3,000 ring, as long as it came from me.

You didnt actually believe that did you?

Funny story:

The diamond I got for my wife when we got enguaged was of Extremely high quality, perfect cut, near perfect color quality by a legendary diamond cutter. Not a big stone but extremely high quality and visually stunning when viewed next to inferior stones.

When I gave it to her I got the standard "its beautyful, I love it cause its from you stuff."

A dozen years later she accidentaly damaged the setting and spent a day looking for the stone. Found it, but after that decided she wanted to get her ring redone w/ a more secure setting.

She took the stone to a custom jeweler. When the jeweler saw the stone he fliped out over how nice it was. He had all the associates in the store come and spend some time on the scope so he could explain to them what made the stone so exceptional.

When she got home she had an entirely new appreciation for her "little" diamond.

GirlWithGlock
11-19-2004, 09:29

My thoughts and prayers are with you. May your wonderful memories of her make you smile every day. *hugs*

MrMurphy
11-19-2004, 13:48
In her case, she did mean that. She had several rings worth collectively about $3,000 and she didn't particularly care.

SouthernGal
11-19-2004, 14:42
Originally posted by MrMurphy
My ex was very very beautiful (to me, and to everyone else too), but she had something of an inferiority complex (She knew she was beautiful, but she needed reminding).

It doesn't matter how good looking she is...... remind her. Some women need that.

And in her case, when we were talking about rings, she was not the possessive kind... she didn't care if it was a $30 ring or a $3,000 ring, as long as it came from me. Since she makes jewelry for a living, I guess the price thing didn't exactly matter to her. What mattered was the thought. :)

Unfortunately... it didn't get beyond that stage.:(

I must admit my love of diamonds in general.

But, to quote from Destiny's Child:
"I bought these diamonds, I bought these rings...
This rock I'm a rockin, it belongs to me"

My Christmas present to myself to replace my engagement ring (which I now sport on my RIGHT hand) is a "Right Hand Ring". I'm having my divorce date 03-05-03, engraved in it.

Here it is.

MrsKitty
11-19-2004, 22:12
That is very pretty Southern Gal :)

c6601a
11-20-2004, 01:53
We are local if you are in Mayberry, RFD :)I see that you are in north central NC. That is the other part of the country. Bummer. One of us will have to travel to make this work. But hey, you do what you have got to do for a great spouse.
A sold sign--that is a good one :cool: It is a way to indicate to others that the woman is taken. Most other cultures have something similar. In India, a dot worn on the forehead is used for the same reason. Many African cultures have similar things. Here in the west, we use rings where the size/value of the ring is dictated by the financial prowess of the male who the woman is paired with. For many men, the size/value of the ring is a financial statement.

MrsKitty
11-20-2004, 14:35
I didn't know that is what the dot represents in India. I always wondered about it but never got around to reading up on it.

Several friends have engagement rigns they don't like. Gifts from spouses who bought what they wanted the woman to have instead of what she wanted. One friend even threatened to sell hers to pay off her car!

Yep, I am in NC...far, far away from you :(

stiletto raggio
11-20-2004, 20:51
The dot is called a "bindi."

Anyhow, trying to get back on topic:

A great wife:

Nevermind. I can't even put this down. I guess I'm just waiting for a feeling.

MrMurphy
11-24-2004, 20:39
Nice ring SouthernGal, but where's the rest of you?

SouthernGal
12-01-2004, 07:40
I always thought that dot (which happens to be RED) was kinda funny since red usually means "stop". :) Never noticed anyone with a green dot.

Kitty, I chose a contemporary design completely unlike the ring my ex gave me as an engagement ring. I wanted something to remind me that he was history and I'd moved on and that losing your name and who you are is quite possibly the worst thing that can ever happen to you.

Sorry Murph, I've been out of town. I PM'd you with the gory details.

MrsKitty
12-02-2004, 00:45
Originally posted by SouthernGal
I always thought that dot (which happens to be RED) was kinda funny since red usually means "stop". :) Never noticed anyone with a green dot.

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

melissamius
12-02-2004, 15:23
I read this great book awhile back called Wild at Heart by John Eldredge and it talked about how the removal of boyhood dreams leads to the death of a man's soul. He writes "We've taken away the dreams of a man's heart and told him to play the man." To me that makes alot of sense. He used the analogy of a lion whose been in a cage for a long time and how after so long the lion had forgotten to be a lion. A great wife would let her husband remember how to be a lion.