mmmmm......Solaris, it's what's for dinner.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mmmmm......Solaris, it's what's for dinner....

proguncali
11-12-2004, 01:00
WEEEEEEllll....

Being a relative n00b in the Unix arena, I decided to crank up one of my Sun servers. 4X400Mhz sparc with 2Gigs of ram....I have 3 of em...

I've got to say, I've never learned SOOO much, so quickly...;g ;g ;g

It's been a total blast! ...now if my cat will just leave me alone.;g

;f ;f ;f

SamBuca
11-12-2004, 22:41
I have a good home for those if you don't want them #wav

geminicricket
11-12-2004, 22:52
Solaris? That's the system I use at work. Nice stuff, but it's not the future.

AggieMM
11-13-2004, 08:28
Last year, I converted my Ultra 10 from Solaris to Debian Linux. I've never been more happy. :) :) :)

Not only is everything "free", but the performance of the Sun box has improved.

Ryan

proguncali
11-13-2004, 16:29
Sam,

Nice try...I'll be putting them to work.;)

geminicricket,

Not the future, but it's free for me and it works. I don't need "the future" just servin up web pages and web apps...

AggieMM,

Solaris is already compliled for my 4 proc boxes, and being that I am a slef proclaimed n00b...less hassle...more working machines...

I may set one aside and put debian on it.;)

This has been fun and agravating....;g ;g ;g ;g

;f ;f ;f

AggieMM
11-14-2004, 09:33
Originally posted by proguncali
I may set one aside and put debian on it.;)

Once you go Linux, you'll never go back to Solaris....... :)

Ryan

ThreadKiller
11-14-2004, 09:39
Ditto! Solaris may have a certain "cool" factor but it ain't as friendly as Linux. And with Linux, if you can write code, you can make it do what you want.

Linux made me the Unix expert I am today. (ahem) :) Actually, Linux has had a huge impact on my UNIX abilities but I obviously use the term "expert" very, very loosely.

Tim

irobinson
11-14-2004, 21:13
Originally posted by AggieMM
Last year, I converted my Ultra 10 from Solaris to Debian Linux. I've never been more happy. :) :) :)

Not only is everything "free", but the performance of the Sun box has improved.

Ryan

They call it slowlaris for a reason....

proguncali
11-14-2004, 23:06
Originally posted by AggieMM
Once you go Linux, you'll never go back to Solaris....... :)

Ryan

I've got a Suse box, but they have pissed me off and I will NEVER use thier product again, not recommend them ever to any of my clients!

There is definitly a different learning curve here.

But it's cool. It's just one more thing to learn.

..and the fact of the matter is, I'm one of those "jack of all trades" kind of admins.... I learn just enough to say I know it and not make it go BOOM, and then I move on.

I don't need to be an expert...I hire experts.:cool:

chrismartin
11-14-2004, 23:29
I'm a big fan of my Solaris machines. I currently have around 40 of them in production from single processor webhosts/app servers on up to 8 processor (upgradable to 12 proc's) Oracle DB servers. I really dig the hardware itself, and Sun support has been top notch Sun servers current outnumber all the other type servers I have put together. Though my Linux servers have been 100% as well, I just feel more comfortable for my apps running on Solaris, atleast right now. I'd like to see Linux "professionalize" a bit. Currently it's hard to match up driver requirements and software requirements to Kernel versions. i.e. FC SAN card driver requires kernel 2.2.x, ethernet card requires 2.2.y and Oracle 10g DB requires 2.2.z and the like (plus throw in GCC version requirements, recompiles, etc) Not really a huge deal, but it's something I really don't have to deal with Solaris (Or any of the vendor supplied hardware/UNIX systems like IBM/AIX, Apple/MacOSX, HP/HPUX, etc.)

unixglocker
11-15-2004, 00:50
Solaris 10 is promising.

FreeBSD is excellent.