What kind of mem do I need? PC133 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mem do I need? PC133

G21
11-12-2004, 12:55
Hope someone can help me. A few years ago I bought a "no-name" computer from a local builder. I want to add some memory to it, but after looking, I don't know if I need high-density or low density memory.

It has a 1.1Ghz AMD Duron processor,and currently has only 128Mb of memory. There is a sticker on the memory itself that says only "PC133128MB".

I found out it is a VIA motherboard, but I don't know model number right now. I can post it later after I get home.

TIA,
Dale

klmmicro
11-12-2004, 13:23
Yes, PC133 is the type of memory you have now so you will need to buy the same to augment what you have.

G21
11-12-2004, 13:34
Thanks, but now I need to know if I have high or low density memory.

I was searching pricewatch.com and high density is cheaper than low density. Why, I don't know. But the low density is supposed to be compatible with 99% of motherboards.

klmmicro
11-12-2004, 13:38
Originally posted by G21
Thanks, but now I need to know if I have high or low density memory.

I was searching pricewatch.com and high density is cheaper than low density. Why, I don't know. But the low density is supposed to be compatible with 99% of motherboards.

I have never run into anything other than the plain old PC133 stuff. I would stick with the low density stuff as it is almost a sure thing to work.

The bus speed is goign to be the same regardless of density.

chevrofreak
11-12-2004, 16:28
PC133 SDRAM

IndyGunFreak
11-12-2004, 20:50
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_memory.asp

Might help you in your search, has numerous kinds of RAM, etc.. on that page.

PC133 is pretty old stuff on a 1.1ghz processor. Have you considered a motherboard upgrade so you can use a faster RAM, like PC2100, 2700, etc..

Best wishes
IGF

fastvfr
11-13-2004, 13:50
If you use something like PNY's PC133, it is high-density and doesn't work on the majority of Intel chipsetted MOBOs I have worked with. SiS or VIA may be different, but my old Athlon setup, with a Chaintec VIA mobo, wouldn't use it either.

The PC100 works just fine in most boards, and you only incur a 3% or so slowdown according to AIDA32's R/W benches.

I have no idea why this memory costs more and doesn't work as well...I guess that's their idea of progress.

BTW, the high-density appelation refers to the fact that the modules use smaller RAM chips, and so only occupy one side of the stick. For some reason this messes with a lot of older machines.

paulgla
11-13-2004, 20:02
You need to look at the motherboard and get the make and model. you need to see how much memory the board can handle before you start installing memory.