Dynamic DNS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic DNS

Stephen
11-12-2004, 21:49
Hi all,

Anyone here using Dynamic DNS? What are the pros and cons of this? Is it easy to set-up? Does it work well?

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

I was thinking about something like this so I can get into my home machine remotely.

TIA--

bambihunter
11-13-2004, 05:14
I use that service even though I actually have a static IP address. It is a lot easier to tell someone an easy-to-remember word phrase than remembering an IP address.

If your internet connection is broadband (cable or dsl usually) then they do normally change IP addresses every so often. It won't hurt to use a DNS service.
I will tell you that while theoretically it would work for dial-up modems, for all intents and purposes it is nearly totally useless for remote access. So, if that is your intention and you are on that kind of connection then I wouldn't bother... If you ever do a trace while using the DNS service it will just add another step but it just jumps through there to find your IP then it drops off (I think). I used to have my own business and I would install it on small businesses that wanted me to have remote access priveledges.

If you have any more questions let me know. I can even send you my DNS name and IP. I do use that same company that you bookmarked. I just use the free one and it has worked great.

paulgla
11-13-2004, 20:06
I have been using no-ip.com for the past three years. these services work greak. you will only be able to access one of your pc's from outside the home/office but using pcanywhere or remote desktop you could access the others.

if you need help let me know.....Paul

MikeG22
11-13-2004, 21:25
I use dyndns, have for a few years. It takes like 3 minutes to setup and I never have to worry about what my hope IP address is for remote desktop. I love it. A lot of home type routers can contact dyndns to and update it if your IP changes too which can be handy if you have a supported device.

paulgla
11-13-2004, 21:30
no-ip.com uses a dymanic updater. Just a small piece of software you install on your machine which periodically talks to no-ip.com. Interstingly, Comcast issued me an IP last year and I hard coded as static into my server and it has not changed since which is pretty cool. It is not supposed to work that way. I guess the day I stop using a dymanic DNS service Comcast will change the IP...go figure

bambihunter
11-13-2004, 22:45
paulgla, if you are using a hardware router on your network you can use it to direct your incoming request to the proper computer. All you have to do is allow remote administration (and set a good password) then set it up for the machine you most often need. Then, if you ever need to change which machine you need to access, just change the port forwarding to a different IP within the network. BTW, this works much better if all of your computers within your network (behind the router/firewall) are set with a static IP address.

Stephen
11-14-2004, 20:29
Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate it very much.

I may PM a few of you for more information.