slide early opening [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : slide early opening

paltic
11-12-2004, 23:40
may isa pang bala ang magazine ng p14 ng friend ko pero nag-oopen-slide na agad...;g ano kaya ang magandang gawin dito? tnx

vega
11-13-2004, 11:28
Check if the follower is pushing the slide stop. One of my mags did that. I grinded off a little plastic. If you have a caliper, check the lips too. It could be a little wider compared to the other one. Or the weak thumb could be pushing the slide stop in place.

vega

horge
11-14-2004, 03:56
I have no experience with the firearm, but basing it on my general understanding of autoloader mechanics...

If it's opening early, it might not BE the follower, yes?
If it's the early, early rounds locking up the slide, for instance, then the follower isn't anywhere near the slidestop lug. Maybe the mags are built differently than I'm imagining, but

I'm thinking the likely cause of the problem could be:

a) the slidestop lug is off spec, poking further into the magwell than it ought to, so that if a cartridge coming up the mag isn't TOTALLY backed up to the rear, its nose taps the lug up and locks the slide. Check by field stripping the slide off, then returning the slidestop to the frame. Insert a mag chock-full of live rounds, and then look at the clearance between slide stop lug and the topmost bullet. Take mag out, reassemble pistol, insert mag, chamber a round, rack it out. Take out the mag gently with as little disturbance as possible, and field strip the pistol again. Repeat preceding steps, checking for near contact between slide stop lug and cartridge nose (bullet).

b) bad magazine causes the follower to rise unevenly, tipping the cartridges forward as they rise, the topmost shifting forward and pushing up the slidestop lug just before the breech kicks its puwet into chamber. Heck, if the feed lips and top 1/8 of the mag tube are deformed, tapering upwards juuuuust so at the rear more than the front, the mag could be 'squeezing' evry rising cartridge forward, occasionally bad enough to knock the slide stop lug up and into lock.

Follow the same repetitive strip and check as outlined prior, but this time examining the position of the topmost cartridge in the mag (is it fully rearward in the mag, or shifted forward. Siempre, hehe, you check both a) and b) in one go, di-nescribe ko lang ng hiwalay, hehe.

Bad slide stop lug? Kikil or palitan, I guess --no idea how part replacement costs are for a P14. If it's a bad mag nga, ewan na lang ---tough to try to fix a bad mag tube: parang no-win situation regarding deformations, e.

If the topmost cartridge is indeed shifted forward, there are still other possible reasons, like cartridge drag between rough casings (especially the rims), to slide timing (mild case rim rideover by the breech, dragging the cartridge but not so bad as to obtain a tip-up FTF: kapag tipped up ng kaunti, usli ng pababa yung case rim nung topmost cartridge, digging into the next cartridge below pulling it along... pag-angat niya, abante na ng kaunti tuloy yung nguso ng bala papuntang slide stop lug.

Sorry, pero ang dami pang posibilidades, each finding its roots in more than one possible deficiency. Again, in theory ito for Browning locking breech, simple blowback and most magazine-fed handguns.

Just my theoretical 2 pesos
;P

batangueno
11-14-2004, 23:06
If it's happening to one particular magazine, change the mag spring first. Kung meron pa rin kikil mo yung follower or get an aftermarket one like arredondo or grams. Last kung ganun pa rin pa-tune mo na lang yung buong magazine sa gunsmith.

atmarcella
11-16-2004, 04:25
paltic,

sir nangyayari din yan sa isang member namin pangngalan nya si hubert flores, he is a very active shooter sa modified division sya, ang ginawa nila kinikil nila yung upper part ng slide stop so in other words ginawa nila non-functional ang slidestop, hope this helps:)