why does my computer shut off? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : why does my computer shut off?

matt3310
11-13-2004, 17:13
my computer shuts off when ever it wants to then restarts. for no reason!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

paulgla
11-13-2004, 19:59
More info? Did it just start happening, have you installed anything recently that caused it, how old is the computer, what is the operating system, etc, etc.

chevrofreak
11-13-2004, 20:53
If you're running Windows 2K/XP look in the Event Viewer, located in the Administrative Tools.

fastvfr
11-14-2004, 02:13
If this is XP, right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties> Advanced tab> Startup & Recovery and UNCHECK the tick box for Auto Restart On System Failure. This may let you see an error code that wasn't visible since the rig was being told to restart.

If you aren't protecting your PC by running an uninterruptible power supply between it and the wall outlet to filter the current, power line noise and fluctuations can cause this.

If you have a fairly powerful PC, heat buildup or a cheap/failing/stressed power supply inside the case can cause this. Leaving the case open for a few days before moving on to the other steps is a very wise plan of action, since this can help you eliminate thermal issues from consideration.

Download MBM5 (Motherboard Monitor v5) and install it to see if the voltage from the various PSU rails is at or above specs.

If it is truly sporadic, and it does not increase in frequency during a typical session, then the problem may be a loose, dusty/corroded or damaged cable/connector/module/card.

Try removing the video card, memory modules and any PCI cards and reinstalling them. Just lift them out of their slot/socket and then push them firmly back into place. Ground yourself first and often during this by making contact with the case's PSU.

Unplug the IDE/floppy/power cables and reinstall each plug firmly but carefully.

If all this doesn't help, remove all but one RAM module and run MemtestX86 from a floppy to see if that RAM stick is failing. If there are no problems with it, and you have multiple sticks, shut down and replace that module with another and retest with Memtest.

As with any sort of machine, troubleshooting PC's involves following a logical set of steps to eliminate the most likely, most common problem before moving to the next likely cause, then negating that possibility. When you find the problem, you'll know it.

Good luck,

FastVFR

matt3310
11-14-2004, 02:57
Thanks for the responses, this computer is new. And Im running xp on it. it will shut off about 5 min after it is started the after the restart it will stay on for as long as I want it to.
Thanks
Matt