M1 carbine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine

antediluvianist
11-14-2004, 00:58
Saw the passage below in the "CaliberCorner" forum. Hmm..M1 carbine - preferably pistolized - for house defense.Hmmm...

You guys who own M1 carbines, pistolized or not - what does one in good condition cost locally ( I presume there are no "brand new" ones)? How much is the .30 M1 carbine ammo ( any JHP available?)? Have heard of mag. feed or other reliability problems - is true? Thanks.

- written by ColoradoGlocker :
"G21 - 4.5" barrel
Speer Gold Dots HPs, 230 grn., 889 fps, 404 ft lbs muzzle energy average of 7 rounds

G22 - 4.5" barrel
Speer Gold Dot HPs, 180 grn., 1020 fps, 416 ft lbs muzzle energy average of 7 rounds

M1 Carbine - 18" barrel
Military FMJs, 110 grn., 1,999 fps, 976 ft lbs muzzle energy average of 7 rounds

The .30 Carbine is considered a marginal combat weapon at ranges over 200 yds. 10 ft from the muzzle it has double the velocity and muzzle energy of my Speer Gold Dots. Looks like my carbine with a 30 rd mag is a great candidate for a home defense weapon (with either my G21 or G22 as a backup)."

doctabako
11-14-2004, 02:46
The price ranges from 12-30K depending on the condition. The M2 variant which is select fire costs more. You can also get the M1 with the select fire conversion which costs nearly as much.
The carbine is a sweet shooter, very accurate(up to 100 meters in my experience) and with little recoil and muzzle blast. Its just a pity that my brother got to my late father's piece first.

With regard to mag feed problems, its usually due to weak springs(you know, old as it is). Clip merchandising sells springs and mags for it. Armscor sells .30 Carbine ammo, not sure about the price, can't be much more than .357 ammo.

Alexii
11-14-2004, 05:25
I was lucky enough to inherit from my Dad an M2 Carbine he bought back in the 70s. It's the full-auto select version with a bayonet lug and olive drab shoulder strap. He told me this was what Rick Jason carried in the 1970s series "Combat".

I haven't shot it yet but inspecting the unit reveals an extremely sturdy rifle. The wooden stock has been pristinely preserved so did the metal parts.

Good news for me that Armscor sells ammo for it. I thought I'd just treat it as an heirloom when I first thought that ammo would be a problem. Now I'm eager to use it.

dinggaling
11-14-2004, 16:37
i have an m1 w/ original "paratrooper" folding stock w/ flash hider in preserved condition. shoots very good too!

tough luck not to carry a GLOCK!

dbp
11-14-2004, 18:27
Hi Ante,
I am an owner of a licensed M2 Carbine in good condition.
Basically as Doctabako stated an M1/M2 Carbine costs around Php 15 thou to 35 thou depending on the conditon.
Magazines for the carbine used to be sold at reasonable prices by Mang Bert of Clip Merchandizing however when I checked during the recent gun show he nearly doubled the price:(
Anyway most of the problems of the carbine revolve around its extractor or bolt. This is the first part to give in especially with the flat M1 bolt that is why the M2 Carbine version came with a round/beefed up bolt.
Replacement springs for the M1/M2 Carbine are available at Twin Pines.
As for the ammo, only Armscor manufactures M1 Carbine ammo for around Php 18 per round or Php 900 per box. Previously JSP rounds were available at the same price however as of late only FMJ rounds are available.
Should you wish to purchase or have any other questions regarding an M1/M2 Carbine I would be more than willing to help you.;f
Hope you could make it to the BOGs anniv. tonight.
Hope to see you there;f

kerwin
11-14-2004, 20:11
Hi Ante,

M1's used to sell for 6k in Cagayan de Oro 10 years ago, however, when ammo for this carbine became available, the price for a used m1 carbine more than doubled. Recently, a friend sold his m1 for 15k.

It would make and ideal ranch gun or for the Poultry farm for use against ferral cats and stray dogs, but to use it as a house gun, i think we will have a problem with the over penetration issue.

I want one though, para maging partner sa 1911 ko.:cool:

antediluvianist
11-15-2004, 06:10
Yes, overpenetration in a house might be a problem given the short-range power of this round and the fact that apparently the only kind of .30 carbine ammo made by Armscor is FMJ.

Couldn't make the dinner tonight. Hope you guys post some pics.

krinkov
11-16-2004, 04:55
to me, the M1 carbine is the ultimate "musthave"! i read in a gun review that the .30 round closely resembles the ballistic performance of a .357 magnum fired from a handgun! that's pretty good performance for a "ranch rifle". effectivity at a hundred yards isn't so much of an issue to me since i wouldn't be able to hit anything beyond 50m anyway using iron sights.

now that's a job for the M14! ;N