How to recover DVD information? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to recover DVD information?

dave5339
11-15-2004, 11:36
Hi all,

My wife and I have a Hitachi camcorder that records directly to mini DVDs.

We are currently having a problem with it though. We've filled up a disk, (minus the last three minutes) and are attempting to "finalize" it to make it playable in all DVD players. However when we attempt to access the disk to finalize it, the camera errors out and gives us a disk error message that it can not access the disk.

Does anyone know of a way that I can "finalize" the two disks that this has happened to and recover the video footage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Semper Fi

fastvfr
11-16-2004, 11:34
Do you have a DVD drive on your PC?

Try accessing it from there. It almost sounds like there is something wrong with the camera, either in the firmware or the hardware.

Did you check with Hitachi to see if this is a common problem?

At least your situation isn't as dire as one of my client's was recently....

My customer's daughter got married and went on a Mexican honeymoon with her DVD-RW camera, and all the pictures they took were on the disk in the camera. The girl called her mom all frantic while I was troubleshooting, saying her camera couldn't see any pics on the disk, and the mom asked if I would look at the disk for her. I said sure.

Well, for some reason this stupid woman did not lock the camera's disk write function before letting the kids (3yrs & 5yrs) look at the pictures. Long story short, little finger hits Format button and all of the data was lost.

The little darlings succeeded in performing a total format, and of course Cabo was gone-o. Tears, gnashing of teeth and much wailing ensued.

Ugh...I love being the bearer of bad news. NOT. ;P

I didn't even get PAID for that part!! Well, at least she got a tan and a meal-ticket out of the deal...;g

Anyhow, see if you can get access to the data, then you can either make a VCD if you don't have a DVD-RW, or possibly use Nero to finalize the disks after the clips have been backed up to the desktop.

Good luck,

FastVFR

dave5339
11-16-2004, 15:01
I've tried looking for the information on my DVD drive on my desktop and my laptop. Neither drive can see the disk at all, (it's like there is nothing there).

Hitachi says it is a media problem, (we were using generic mini DVD -r's), Hitachi says to use Maxell only to solve the issue.

The problem seems to be somewhat intermittent. The first disk we shot with it died, the next 6 were fine, and then the last one glitched out also.

I'd like to find a way to recover the footage, (daughter's 2nd birthday and other stuff). The camera is probably going to be Ebay'd and replaced with something with better stability and a MiniDV format.

Semper Fi