Best free Anit-Virus?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best free Anit-Virus??

Luke77
11-15-2004, 12:53
I'm looking for other options besides Norton for my anit-virus. Do any of you use a free antivirus that works well? If so, can you tell me where to find it and what it's called?

nickg
11-15-2004, 13:39
AVG -- get it at www.grisoft.com

works great.

Ljunatic
11-15-2004, 19:33
Best? I use AVG also. Never needed to try anything else.

biblefreak
11-15-2004, 19:38
I like AVG. I really like the new version. Hit the link mantioned above and see for yourself. It takes up precious little resources as compared to its bloated counterparts too.

fastvfr
11-15-2004, 20:17
You know, AVG is still very useful, but in upgrading to the 7.0 version, I have seen a few PC's take upwards of 8 MIUNUTES to load XP after the 'upgrade'.

Dozens have had no problems at all.

AVAST! gets installed on the balky PC's that don't get along with AVG.

Both have 100% effectiveness awards credited to them, so take your pick.

AVG is easier to set up and maintain, while I have seen AVAST! pull virii that AVG couldn't delete.

Just grab one; they are both on the "A" list!!

Good luck,

FastVFR

tpiini
11-15-2004, 20:20
Another vote for Avast here.

Glocker74
11-15-2004, 20:28
I run AVG, but my Zone Alarm firewall tells me there is no anti virus protection on my computer.???

Jeff82
11-15-2004, 20:35
I've been using AVG and it's been great. I use the free version, "6". Isn't "7" the commercial pay-for version? Just now hearing of Avast.

Washington,D.C.
11-16-2004, 03:22
AVG Free Edition 6 has been discontinued for AVG Free Edition 7.It seems Avast is updated more often than AVG.

Moprine
11-16-2004, 11:08
AVG and AntiVir XP have both worked well for me. I run AVG daily and AntiVir 2 a month as a "secondary."

fastvfr
11-16-2004, 11:39
Originally posted by Glocker74
I run AVG, but my Zone Alarm firewall tells me there is no anti virus protection on my computer.???

Erm....Zone Alarm has....how shall I say...ISSUES.

I prefer Kaspersky Anti-Hacker or Sygate myself.

I use a Linux solution (Smooth Wall) and a NAT hardware FW in the router now, though...so I have no need of a software FW.

Black Ice is pretty good, too.

Glocker74, maybe if you DL the installer for AVG 7.0Free, rip your old AV install and set the new version up it'll see it?

Good luck,

FastVFR

paulgla
11-16-2004, 11:50
Why do you not want to use Norton? I have found this to be the best product on the market. I have worked in IT consulting for a number of years and recommend it to everyone.

It is worth the cost when you get attacked by a virus that one of these freebees can't block!

nickg
11-16-2004, 14:43
Originally posted by fastvfr
Erm....Zone Alarm has....how shall I say...ISSUES.

i haven't had any problems with zone alarm. between using that, plus AVG, plus Ad Aware for spyware, i've been in pretty good shape with my PC as of late. a lot more than i have in the past, that's for sure.

tpiini
11-17-2004, 07:12
Originally posted by paulgla
Why do you not want to use Norton? I have found this to be the best product on the market. I have worked in IT consulting for a number of years and recommend it to everyone.

It is worth the cost when you get attacked by a virus that one of these freebees can't block!

I was a die-hard Norton-everything user for many years. I started having problems with their firewall last year and found that no matter how many configuration hoops I jumped through, I couldn't use hyperlinks on another car forum I visit regularly. I dumped all of the Norton programs out of my system and tried a few free firewall & antivirus programs. I was amazed at how much my computer sped up without the Norton products running on it.

I'll not go back.

Tom