LCD or CRT....What's Your Choice for Monitor? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LCD or CRT....What's Your Choice for Monitor?

Nalapombu
11-15-2004, 22:26
Hey all,

I have never had a LCD screen except on a notebook about 4 years ago so I am not THAT experienced with them. I have seen them at stores and such and they look really good. Most of the time when they are set up next to a regular monitor the LCD will have a much better image in the screen than the CDT will.
I am getting ready to either build a new system or buy one. I have always had monitors and I am thinking of going with the LCD this time. At least I have to check them out in comparison. I also like BIG monitors, the one I have now is 21" and I can't see myself going below 19" and preferably staying at 21". I know that kicks the cost WAY up if I go with LCD.
The bottom line is if the extra money spent on the LCD is worth it? It looks as if the LCD is about 2x the price of a CRT when talking about the bigger sizes. Is the money better saved on getting a really nice CRT monitor instead of the LCD?
What are the pros and cons of the LCD monitor? I am not worried about the extra energy savings or the weight.
What's the skinny on the LCD's?
Thanks

Nala

Halo
11-15-2004, 23:22
LCDs have better geometry and a smaller footprint. CRTs still have better color reproduction and response time, though LCDs are gaining in those areas.

If you plan to use an LCD for a lot of gaming and video playback, make sure you find one with a low pixel response time. Some manufacturers now offer models with a response time of 12ms or less, which makes them much better for gaming than the more typical LCD which is somewhere around 25-30ms.

FYI - pixel response time refers to the amount of time needed to change the color of a pixel. If the pixel can't change color quick enough you will get a ghosting effect. This is most noticeable in action games and video.

fastvfr
11-16-2004, 11:20
CRT all the way for me!

I do a lot of gaming, and the LCD's that would work for me (and be of acceptable size) are still as pricey as a new system would be!!;g

If you have deep pockets, then get one of the high-end LCD's just for the kewlness factor.

I know one guy who moved his PC into the family room and got a HDTV...his NVIDIA card supports dual monitors, so he uses his old CRT for some stuff but games on his 44" TV! Looks pretty darn good, too.

For now, though, and especially if you are on a budget, go CRT. As LCD monitors grow in popularity and their prices drop a bit, the cost of a great CRT is dropping like a rock!

Best regards,

FastVFR

Packin' Heat
11-16-2004, 13:45
I was going to get an LCD last xmas but all the response times were like 25-30 seconds for the large monitors (19" and up). If it dosent have a 12ms response or better I dont it. I am glad I waited because now I can get a 19" monitor with a 12ms response time. Because they didnt have the LCD I wanted I got an awsome CRT. This xmas I might go for the LCD.

Cinic
11-16-2004, 21:47
The published response rates are not a final word on LCD performance. You really should check one out in person or find trusted reviews on the display you're going to buy before springing for it.

unixglocker
11-16-2004, 22:20
If your flat broke CRT. If you have at least some money LCD.
Get the biggest best LCD you can afford. That's about all there is to that.

Halo
11-16-2004, 23:10
It's also worth noting that the viewable area of a LCD screen is larger than that of a CRT of the "same" size, in most cases anyway. A lot of the tube on a CRT is covered by the plastic cabinet, yet many manufacturers include that in measuring the screen. Another advantage of LCD is that glare isn't nearly the problem it can be with a CRT. I find them more pleasant with regard to eye strain too, and as a programmer I spend an awful lot of time staring at text on a screen.

If you are an absolute purist about image quality, color balance, contrast, and so on, your best bet remains a high end CRT. I'm willing to sacrifice that for all the other benefits of a LCD, though.

WolfmanGK
11-16-2004, 23:46
Originally posted by Packin' Heat
the response times were like 25-30 seconds for the large monitors (19" and up).

;P

25-30 seconds, wow! You could make a ghost horror movie from the screen shots alone!

SamBuca
11-17-2004, 00:02
I have the 17" Dell LCD. I'd never use CRT again.

CRT = heat, space, electricity, noise (I can hear the high pitched squeal), warm up time

LCD = cool, skinny, very little electricity, no noise, and instant on.

Packin' Heat
11-17-2004, 08:03
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
;P

25-30 seconds, wow! You could make a ghost horror movie from the screen shots alone!

I admit, that was kinda funny. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;n

jasonvp
11-17-2004, 08:30
I'm stuck on CRTs for a couple of reasons:

1. I do some photo work as a just-for-fun hobby. CRTs still have better color reproduction and management than LCDs do.

2. Gaming.

3. Resolution, size, and price. I'm looking at a 22" CRT right now running at 2048x1536 resolution. Most of the like-sized LCDs I've seen can't approach that resolution. LCDs that can would cost several thousands of dollars last I checked.

jas

unixglocker
11-17-2004, 08:42
Me to. I can't even have a TV anymore because the wailing
noise they make! Some people can hear it, some can't, unsure
why. In a lot of PC's I can hear the sound made by distinct
components, CPU, video, etc. Have you ever noticed anything similar between people who can hear it?

Originally posted by SamBuca

CRT = heat, space, electricity, noise (I can hear the high pitched squeal), warm up time

troyboy30
11-17-2004, 11:16
I do a ton of gaming and my 20 inch dell 2001fp is amazing.

HerrGlock
11-17-2004, 11:25
Originally posted by unixglocker
Me to. I can't even have a TV anymore because the wailing
noise they make! Some people can hear it, some can't, unsure
why.

I cannot have a TV anywhere near my bedroom because of that. Earplugs don't touch it and when you turn the TV off it's still there for a while.

At home, I use a laptop with an LCD (of course) and I think my personal computer will be a laptop from now on. Desktop replacement horsepower but a laptop none-the-less.

At work, I use a 21" monitor and it's noisy enough that I cannot hear the screen scream.

Add 2" for viewable size from CRT to LCD. 19" LCD == 21" CRT, etc.

DanH

potatoho
11-17-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by SamBuca

The LCD doesn't attract much dust either. With CRT you have all that static, and need to dust it every day.

I've had an LCD for about 4 years, so mine's not super-good, but I'm amazed when I go to my friend's work and they have top of the line CRTs. CRTs are still junk! How can anyone work on those things?

CRT corners are all blurry and the edges crooked and stuff. Glare, heat, noise. Bleah! Plus the picture quality depreciates faster than my car.

I will say that my ViewSonic LCD is so old that it only has the analog interface. Don't use that. Get a digital interface for sure! Otherwise the LCD will be even more temperamental than configuring a CRT; focus etc.