Recommend a good radio [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good radio

emt1581
11-15-2004, 22:45
Hey all, first time poster, long time user. ;)

I'm looking at getting something that is portable, can scan a few miles, can transmit, and can hear (but obviously not looking to transmit on) police channels.

Not looking for top of the line, just something that serves it's purpose. On the ambulance we use Motorola handhelds but their programmed by the county so I doubt I could buy something that would transmit on the same frequency.

This is mainly for use when driving to avoid traps, hear what's going on, and being able to contact people around me (emergency) in case my cell hits a black hole even though that rarely happens.

My dad has some sort of "marine radio" not US Marines, but rather something he bought for my grandfather to use while out at sea, but I'm not sure that would be what I want. Anyways, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

beachside39
11-16-2004, 13:32
I assume that you don't have a ham license yet. If you want to do that, you'll have a wide selection of hand-held, mobile and fixed station transceivers to choose from.

Go to www.qrz.com and www.arrl.org to read about the requirements. If you take the practice tests for the Technician class on www.qrz.com for 30 days, you will very likely pass the written multiple-choice test.

Your license will open a whole new world for you. It's not that difficult and once you have it, it's yours for life with free renewals.

greenlead
11-17-2004, 21:22
I also recommend QRZ.com. Even though I was already very familiar with the material, the practice tests helped adress holes in my knowledge, and helped me to feel confident when I went to take (and pass) my Technician-level test.

Caretaker
11-27-2004, 21:40
Originally posted by beachside39
I assume that you don't have a ham license yet. If you want to do that, you'll have a wide selection of hand-held, mobile and fixed station transceivers to choose from.

Go to www.qrz.com and www.arrl.org to read about the requirements. If you take the practice tests for the Technician class on www.qrz.com for 30 days, you will very likely pass the written multiple-choice test.

Your license will open a whole new world for you. It's not that difficult and once you have it, it's yours for life with free renewals.

good advice and good post...kevin N1KGM

jmspears
12-01-2004, 09:48
I have a good radio for sale that I posted.

Thanks

buckhunter3987
12-15-2004, 21:30
dont know about your area but most police radios are on the trunk system in my area. But if you are lookin to get into HAm a good all around radio is the YAESU VX-5

Caretaker
12-15-2004, 22:51
Originally posted by buckhunter3987
dont know about your area but most police radios are on the trunk system in my area. But if you are lookin to get into HAm a good all around radio is the YAESU VX-5 i agree a very good choice in radio is the Yaesu VX-5R which does 50MHz/144MHz/440MHz ...also are the Yaesu VX-7R which does 50MHz/144MHz/222MHz/440MHz and also has dual band simultaneous recieve....or the Kenwood TH-F6A which does 144MHz/220MHz/440MHz....all three radios have wide-band recieve capabilities from 50MHz to 900MHz bands about and can be modified to work the Marine Frequencies/Police,Fire,Ambulance&Business Frequencies if that is what you are also doing and working for. For I have friends who do Emergency Service Work or work for the town in some capacity or for a company that uses radio Communications and use these rigs for their Amateur ?Radio operation as well as their Work. ....BUT YOU MUST BE LICENSED BY THE FCC WITH A AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE TO OPERATE SUCH A RIG AND HAVE THE RIGHTS AND LICENSES TO OPERATE ANY OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE BANDS MENTIONED FOR ANY OOPERATION ON ANY OF THE BANDS ABND FEREQUENCIES MENTIONED AND NOT LICENSED TO OPERAGTE SUCH A RADIO OR SAID FREQUENCIES IS AGAINST THE LAW AND ANYONE FOUND OPERATING ILLEGALLY CAN BE FINED AND IMPRISONED FOR SUCH AN ACTION....any of these radios are great if you have a license to operate them and looking to multitask using it for ham radio and work is a plus as well....good luck and hope this info helps you out. kevin N1KGMwww.441700.com (http://www.441700.com)

uhlawpup
12-16-2004, 15:05
Caretaker, if these radios are not certified by the FCC (it used to be called type acceptance) for use on the public service bands, then it doesn't matter if you are licensed or not to operate there. The radios cannot be used in those public service bands, and doing so can cause you to lose your amateur license as well as incur foreiture and heavy fines.

Caretaker
12-16-2004, 21:58
Originally posted by uhlawpup
Caretaker, if these radios are not certified by the FCC (it used to be called type acceptance) for use on the public service bands, then it doesn't matter if you are licensed or not to operate there. The radios cannot be used in those public service bands, and doing so can cause you to lose your amateur license as well as incur foreiture and heavy fines. well i dont know what the laws and regulations in your area are or whats going on in your world but i know and eal with alot of emergency service personnel and persons who are amateur radio licensed operators and also have the ok to operate on other public service, and emergency service and marine and business frequencies and do so wuith their radios. they do cause they are licvensed to and can...it is not looked upon as being illegal for persons who work for fire, ambulance, red cross etc and are amateur licensed all do it. so as to what you are trying to say does not seem to be in the area where i live and all the personnel i deal with and come into contact with and even many of the communications and businesses who sell and operate communications systems for emergency and business set amateur radios up for such persons who are capable and licensed to operate legally with radios that do both amateur radio frequencies and the other bands trhey may be dealing with...so i can say i agree with what you are saying but i uphold your right to say what you want.

uhlawpup
12-17-2004, 06:35
Originally posted by Caretaker
well i dont know what the laws and regulations in your area are or whats going on in your world but i know and eal with alot of emergency service personnel and persons who are amateur radio licensed operators and also have the ok to operate on other public service, and emergency service and marine and business frequencies and do so wuith their radios. they do cause they are licvensed to and can...it is not looked upon as being illegal for persons who work for fire, ambulance, red cross etc and are amateur licensed all do it. so as to what you are trying to say does not seem to be in the area where i live and all the personnel i deal with and come into contact with and even many of the communications and businesses who sell and operate communications systems for emergency and business set amateur radios up for such persons who are capable and licensed to operate legally with radios that do both amateur radio frequencies and the other bands trhey may be dealing with...so i can say i agree with what you are saying but i uphold your right to say what you want.

Me? I live in the United States of America. The radios in use and what band they are operated on are determined by a governmental entity called the Federal Communications Commission, which has its headquarters on M Street in Washington D.C.

Just because a lot of folks choose to ignore the law doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply.

If you want to know what the law says, check out Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations. It covers telecommunications law for the country I live in.

The choice is yours. These folks who give the "okay" to use these radios in violation of the law...will they defend you in an FCC hearing or a federal court?

You decide.

Caretaker
12-17-2004, 07:25
Originally posted by uhlawpup
Me? I live in the United States of America. The radios in use and what band they are operated on are determined by a governmental entity called the Federal Communications Commission, which has its headquarters on M Street in Washington D.C.

Just because a lot of folks choose to ignore the law doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply.

If you want to know what the law says, check out Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations. It covers telecommunications law for the country I live in.

The choice is yours. These folks who give the "okay" to use these radios in violation of the law...will they defend you in an FCC hearing or a federal court?

You decide. well i think your over dramatizing just a smidge...im talking about lawfully using the radios for frequencies one is capable and licensed and allowed to use. not talking about someone just going out there and doign this on bands and feequencies they are not licensed nor legally capabkle of using. i think your excessive dramatic attitude is wonderful, but a bit much, the locations doing this work and persons who are using the radios for multiple purposes for WHICH THEY ARE LICENSED TO USE THEM FOR... are doing this and all are licensed by the FCC and are with Governmental, statewide and local services and businesses doing this and dont think everyone is out breaking the law for if it was unlawful to do so dont thinjk it could be done by such professionals so widely. i am not talking about a few or handful here...byut you can live in the drama and soup opera world your wanting to delve into. so im not going to debate thisin here any further just passing along info but if you want to believe this is not widely done and taking place and that persons doing this are not only law abiding but also in very professional and emergency services in some case and doing this then you think waht you want...but i wont continue this any fuirther here with yu for i see your very close minded.. i qmrefering to LAWFUL PERSONS USING THE RADIOS IN LAWFUL ABIDING WAYS....have a nice day

uhlawpup
12-17-2004, 08:26
Think what you will. The regulations are specific about the use of non-approved (and that means FCC approved) radios on the public safety bands.

Radio regulations are pretty clear. You can't just choose the ones you want to obey and ignore the ones you don't want to obey.

Why not call your local FCC field office and ask them? They are quite helpful, and may even have a brochure regarding the use of non-approved radios for you to look at.

Meanwhile, again, check the regulations. It's all there...

Good luck.

beachside39
12-17-2004, 08:42
Originally posted by buckhunter3987
dont know about your area but most police radios are on the trunk system in my area. But if you are lookin to get into HAm a good all around radio is the YAESU VX-5

I, too, have a 5-watt Yaesu VX-5 handheld. I paid $300 for mine several years ago but you can buy them now for around $250. The VX-7 is is the newest but the primary difference I see is that it has low-power on the 220MHz band. My VX-5 is extremely cabable and has served me well. For awhile it was all I had for mobile operations. Now it's used for portable operations since I'm using a Kenwood TS-2000 with up to 100 watts on HF/VHF/UHF. There are a lot of good transceivers out there so it's not easy to say one is "best".

Get your Technician license and buy an inexpensive new or used FM transceiver and see where it leads you. It's a fantastic hobby that provides a lot of avenues to whatever your interests may be.