Color printer recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Color printer recommendations

cgwahl
11-16-2004, 00:34
I recently picked up a color inkjet at Walmart for $28. The HP Deskjet 3520. Haven't opened it yet since I wanted to read the reviews on it and apparantly its a good printer for the price, but it is supposedly an ink hog. And one person said its print quality is not that great (which I am not totally shocked about)

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this printer to let me know if this would be a good printer for someone that will occasionally want to print color documents and photos.

I already have a laser printer for the black stuff so I will not be using the inkjet for that.

Would also like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a different printer (or better or less ink hoggish) as well. Am willing to go as high as ~$100. Possibly $150. Not sure if this is a good range, but I really do not want to be paying a lot (like say $500) for something I am only going to use maybe a few times a month. Or those few times I want to print a bunch of photos from something or other.

Thanks to all whom offer reviews and/or recommendations.

proguncali
11-16-2004, 00:55
what is the function you are looking for...

Photo's or stuff to pretty up a presontation?

get2now
11-16-2004, 02:02
I thought I got a good deal once by getting a Lexmark color printer for $25.00 NIB. It was okay until I had to buy an ink cartridge for it. That cost $35.00..... You may want to check out how much it's going to cost to maintain it such as with new cartridges. Also as proguncali suggests, documents and photos are different so you may want to forget about the photos with that $28. printer. I have an HP 812C and it works fine for color presentations but not for pictures. Then I have an Epson Photo 925 for pictures and it works very well but it's too expensive to be using for spreadsheets and the like. Just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

cgwahl
11-16-2004, 02:11
Originally posted by get2now
I thought I got a good deal once by getting a Lexmark color printer for $25.00 NIB. It was okay until I had to buy an ink cartridge for it. That cost $35.00..... You may want to check out how much it's going to cost to maintain it such as with new cartridges. Also as proguncali suggests, documents and photos are different so you may want to forget about the photos with that $28. printer. I have an HP 812C and it works fine for color presentations but not for pictures. Then I have an Epson Photo 925 for pictures and it works very well but it's too expensive to be using for spreadsheets and the like. Just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

Honestly I want to try to get the best of both worlds, if at all possible. I forsee me printing more photos than color documents though if that helps.

And yeah, thats one of the reasons why I am glad my Lexmark (came free with computer, knew it was crap but did the job) broke some months back forcing me to get an HP laser printer. The ink cost a lot.

NetNinja
11-16-2004, 09:01
The money in printers is not selling the printer but getting you to pay $35.00 for a new ink cartridge.

fastvfr
11-16-2004, 11:49
Well, HP is a decent midrange inkjet...and don't worry about the ink consumption; at least not with these (http://www.lasermonks.com/) guys making it cheaper and easier for us heathen-types to print stuff!

Just be glad you didn't get a stinkin' LexMark!!! (http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20041111_if_you_have_a_lexmark_printer_you_may_also_have_lexmark_spyware.phtml)

Best regards,

FastVFR

CMA G21
11-16-2004, 12:10
I don't know if this is still valid, but a few years ago I did some research on inkjets. The consensus of the experts was that HP was the best for text, Epson the best for graphics, and Canon second best in both text and graphics.

podwich
11-16-2004, 12:24
I'd spend more on a printer to save ink cost, especially if I was planning to print a lot. For instance, the printer I own is a Canon S330. It cost about $100 or so when I bought it a couple years ago. It takes ink tanks instead of ink cartridges. The difference here is that the print head isn't a consumable and the tanks are way cheaper than a cartridge- black is $7 and color is like $16 (both at Walmart) and cheaper online. It's even cheaper than that if you get generic.

I used to own a Lexmark but never will again. The printer may be cheap but the ink cost is astronomical.

nickg
11-16-2004, 15:37
Originally posted by cgwahl
I recently picked up a color inkjet at Walmart for $28. The HP Deskjet 3520. Haven't opened it yet since I wanted to read the reviews on it and apparantly its a good printer for the price, but it is supposedly an ink hog. And one person said its print quality is not that great (which I am not totally shocked about)

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this printer to let me know if this would be a good printer for someone that will occasionally want to print color documents and photos.

i bought this same printer the other day. i got tired of spending MORE money for more expensive printers only to have them cack out after a period of time.

the one catch is they don't give you a black cartridge. but the good thing is you can get them for about $17 at staples. cheaper than a lot of other cartridges.

i haven't done anything really with it yet, but i don't do fancy photo printing or any type of important desktop crap. i just need it for text printing. that's good enough for me, especially at $28.

Specks
11-16-2004, 16:22
It may be more cost effective to just buy a new printer than to get the ink refills. I've heard of people actually doing this. The age of the disposable printer.

r me, it's not quite to that point. My printer cost a little more than $100. I just replaced the ink and it cost close to $50 for the brand name ink cartridges. I didn't want to save a few bucks for a lower quality ink..

grenadier
11-16-2004, 16:36
If you're going to be doing any significant volumes, you may want to simply bite the bullet, and get a color laser printer.

With the prices of color laser printers starting at the mid 300's, you may want to check out the following:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=28-112-028&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=28-104-306&depa=1

Yes, the initial cost is much higher, but the cost of consumables will be negligent, compared to having to replace ink cartridges that often times, cost more than the initial printer price!

podwich
11-16-2004, 16:38
Color lasers for $350? Well, I don't think I'm buying another inkjet.

cgwahl
11-22-2004, 00:26
I believe I have decided upon either the Canon PIXMA iP3000 or iP4000.

Was going to get the Epson Stylus Photo R200, but have read about a few problems Epson has been having with their print head and frankly do not want to deal with that. Plus, reviews apparantly show that the two Canon's I decided upon are better in the photo department. But then again, for all I know they were getting a kickback from Canon, hehe.

Now just to find a deal on either one. Out of curiousity, though, anyone have any experiences with the above printers? Any idea of one would be better than the other? Only big different I have found (other than expense) is that the 4000 uses 6 inks as opposed to 5. Or 5 instead of 4, can't recall offhand right now.