What happened to dungarees? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What happened to dungarees?

Sixgun_Symphony
11-16-2004, 13:49
It looks like the USN is going to a camoflauge BDU work uniform. WTF?

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=15565

I liked wearing the dungarees. Very comfortable! Great work clothing. I don't see why the navy brass had to change the work uniform.

jawjaboy
11-16-2004, 16:33
WTF? NEVER in my Navy. Hoowwwever......being in the brown water Navy(amphibs), I did wear a lot of OD green in '69-70, across the pond.

Sixgun_Symphony
11-16-2004, 21:21
I remember the sea-bees wearing OD green back in the 80's. It makes sense because they mostly work on land.

But dungarees are best for the blue water navy.

I also liked the working whites. I was a corpsman and the working white uniform was best on the hospital wards.

skyboss_4evr
11-16-2004, 22:02
Ok, you real old salts probably won't like this... but I'd strongly welcome the BDU style uniform. I love all my Navy uniforms with the exception of the dungarees. Yes, I kept mine pressed, creased and super-sqaured away, but I always thought the dungs just didn't look very professional. Besides all that, what I read in that article is true. A grease spot or coffee stain or whatever won't stand out like a sore thumb on cammies like they did on dungarees. I say it's about time the Navy went to a BDU utility uniform.

Oh, and by the way... dungarees were phased out in '00. The current working uniform is basically the same color as dungarees, but consists of straight-leg pants with NORMAL style pockets and is made of a polyester/cotton blend which is far easier to keep pressed and neat in appearance.

GO NAVY!!

Nathan2003
11-16-2004, 22:15
I would almost join back up to get the BDU style uniform. I was lucky enough to experience the old bell bottoms for a number of years before we switched to the Docker Style pants and shirt. The 00 uniform was about 1000 times more comfortable then the older style but didnt holdup as well. They were also much more pratical. When I was on cruise we all wore cammy pants and our green jerseys anyway. I would have loved to be in a BDU style uniform instead of those other style uniforms.

Not to mention then sorta keep it the Navy way and make them Marine colors.

Dont forget that we were also the only branch to segregate the different ranks. Now they will all look the same when working just like every other branch.

I say, good call Navy, its about time.

skyboss_4evr
11-16-2004, 22:26
I totally agree Nathan.

Sixgun_Symphony
11-17-2004, 00:08
Originally posted by skyboss_4evr

Oh, and by the way... dungarees were phased out in '00. The current working uniform is basically the same color as dungarees, but consists of straight-leg pants with NORMAL style pockets and is made of a polyester/cotton blend which is far easier to keep pressed and neat in appearance.

Well that sucks!

Polyester is a bad idea for a uniform as it melts when on fire and sticks to skin.

Cotton dungarees are better from a safety point of view. They're also cooler in hot weather than BDU's, especially after they been washed many times.

jwalk2515
11-17-2004, 11:24
Well if it helps, the new air force bdu's are worse looking than those. They are getting the blue/grey in tiger stripe.

truckstop cop
11-19-2004, 09:12
i wore od greens and cammies for 13 years of my navy service,i also wore the dungs and the newest uniforms to include the coveralls. but i always loved wearing the cammies best of all.

Ed Ely
11-19-2004, 09:59
Quote-

Shore Sailor of the Year (SSOY) Chief Dental Technician Michele Villagran had a chance to see preliminary designs of the concept uniforms during the SSOY selection process. She said she liked the look and feel of the lightweight, yet sturdy, material.

“Overall, I think they look more professional, and I think the majority of the fleet will be happy with them,” Villagran said. “It will definitely be a new and very much needed look for the Navy.”

Unquote -

The above makes me wonder if she is going to be on the design
team for the females who get knocked up and have to wear the
maternity military uniforms while on duty until delivery!

Perhaps we will get an all female military in the future.

Ed

KIDCOP
11-20-2004, 16:57
Moving away from the Dungs was also done earily 70's as well as the Jumper uniform. It didn't take long for them to move back as the poly mix is a fire hazard. Of course some CNO will come along and say TRADITION.

Sixgun_Symphony
11-23-2004, 23:47
Originally posted by KIDCOP
Of course some CNO will come along and say TRADITION.

I hope it will happen soon!

bp_cowboy
11-24-2004, 05:59
was the old Cotton Dungarees. When I was on shore duty they were great, comfortable, easy on the up keep, and we were able to wear command cap instead of the dixie cup. Sure gonna miss the sight of them.

Hunterjbb
11-24-2004, 17:38
I wore dungerees for my years in.. great nothing like wearing jeans to work everyday basically..

Although i would not have minded having BDU type uniform.. BUT MAN THOSE COLORS ARE HIDEOUS... Why can't they just do a predominently Blue uniform or even a Grey ? Why in the world would the NAVY need digital camoflage?..

I can see it now, maybe i would have blened in better while using the attack scope on my boat so the COB or OOD could not see me.. or maybe when i was running my ambush just outside the the sonar shack I could have gotten a few more of those Sonar guys... :) ya know that digital would have worked great against the bulkheads of the Sub tender i was on.. :cool: the chief may not have seen me and I would not have had as much work to do.. LOL..

man,, good idea way wrong design.

Jeff.

txleapd
11-30-2004, 12:47
Why is now that the Marines got new cammies, every other branch wants it's own BDU?

Why do the Navy and Air Force need blue/grey camouflage uniforms anyway? They should think about painting their ships and airplanes camouflage (if they are worried about being tactical) instead of the people inside them. Doesn’t make sense to me…

Lou Abbott
12-03-2004, 19:08
I spent 31 years in the Navy (Aviation) and they are ALWAYS screwing around with uniforms. Now days, the Security and Master At Arms wear BDUs. Most regular sailors wear dungarees or (heavan forbid) coveralls. BDUs arn't gonna hack it on board ship, period. Wish they would make up their minds and keep the traditional uniforms with improved materials.
This is one of the reasons I decided to retire-fed up with this petty stuff.
AVCM(AW) Retired (and lovin' it)

Pardoner
12-13-2004, 17:38
They have been talking about that for.... well....

Going on 12 years now.

Back in the early 90's when I was in the Navy, they brought it up from time to time.

The coveralls worked just fine on the sub.

JaviFL
12-14-2004, 07:27
Originally posted by Pardoner
The coveralls worked just fine on the sub.

As an FMF Corpsman I got to wear cammies to work every day. Those worked well. Easy to press, and a snap to keep clean unless you were out in the field.

I don't know why everybody else, while out on deployment, doesn't wear coveralls.

Washington,D.C.
12-14-2004, 17:15
>

Cryptoboy
12-22-2004, 08:23
I'd say it's about time! That's probably the only thing I hated about the Navy, was the ridiculous dungarees! If they made them look like something other then prisoner gear, maybe there wouldn't have been as many complaints! Goofy bell bottom jeans!

I know all you old-timers point back to tradition, and that's well and good (I only did 5 years, 94-99). But to keep the tradition alive, you need to continue to get recruits, and even with the 70's fashions coming back (I think they already came and left actually!), people don't want to join a service that makes them wear the equivalent to prisoner clothing! I was 19 when I joined, and if I had known before I got to boot camp what the daily Navy wear was, I might have switched to another service. Even the air force wears camoflage BDU's (never figured that one out, not many trees on a flight line!)

cadillacguns
12-22-2004, 08:56
Cool then when the boat go's down you squids will look like floating sea weed.