Bmw K1200 S [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bmw K1200 S

WERA49
11-16-2004, 19:14
This is BMW's new bike. Most of you have seen an article on it. It is a transverse mounted inline four.

I'm shocked (and pleased!) that BMW would show a picture like this on their website. :)

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/k1200s/index.jsp

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/k1200s/gallery/im17.jpg

TriggerRider
11-16-2004, 19:34
That is a great picture, and both the bike and the pic are not typical of BMW. No doubt it will be a 'screamer' of a machine, but it will also be extremely expensive when compared to an equal performing Japanese motorcycle. Still...... I'm glad that BMW decided to break-the-mold when they developed this bike.

fnfalman
11-17-2004, 11:27
BMWs will always be more expensive than most motorcycles. They come better engineered as a package with accessories that fit just so. Their electronics also work well. The same with doodads like heated grips and ABS, etc.

I'm ordering a F650CS right now. I'll work my way up to a heavier and faster motorcycle as my skills progress.

If you want coolness then go Italian. If you want fast for cheap, then go Japanese. If you want slow and outdated, go American. If you want a solid piece of well manufactured and engineered machine then go BMW.

WERA49
11-17-2004, 14:46
If you want a solid piece of well manufactured and engineered machine then go BMW.
FNFALMAN, I expected you to say something like that. I know that you are a fan of German engineering. So am I, I just don't have a BMW like you! ;f

norton
11-17-2004, 17:31
Transverse mounted inline 4?
BMW raised quite a stir when they first came out with the K series 4 cylinders. The BMW faithful howled, said real BMW's only have 2 cylinders. BMW said, well this is the future and deal with it. They phased out the old air cooled boxers.
I owned 3 BMW's. My first was an R80 ST. It was and is still my favorite of all the bikes I have owned (well over 2 dozen).
I also owned a BMW R80 RT. that bike was a pooch.
I also went back in time and owned an R 75/5. Took it to Daytona twice.
Should be interesting to see what the BMW faithful have to say about an engine design that made Japan the ruler of the 2 wheeled world for many years.

fnfalman
11-18-2004, 17:50
FNFALMAN, I expected you to say something like that. I know that you are a fan of German engineering. So am I, I just don't have a BMW like you!
---------------------------------------------------

It's not hype, you know. BMW motorcycles and cars are not the most attractive in that va-va-va-voom sense like the Italian or British makes, nor are they at the very edge of state-of-the-art with the latest in engine technology and oodles of horsepower and torque like the Japanese. But they are well made, solid pieces of machineries with reliable high-tech advancements.

WERA49
11-18-2004, 18:28
Should be interesting to see what the BMW faithful have to say about an engine design that made Japan the ruler of the 2 wheeled world for many years.
Ultimately, I think that the new bike will have a loyal following, just like the opposed twin and inline four. It is still a BMW, it looks like one and will feel like one. The riders will be comfortable with the new bike because of that.

Another benefit is that BMW will likely pickup some new customers that are performance oriented. Many of the new people will have stayed away from BMW because they couldn't 'have their cake and eat it too'. Now they can! :)

Texas T
11-18-2004, 20:11
Originally posted by fnfalman
But they are well made, solid pieces of machineries with reliable high-tech advancements.

Bayerische Motoren Werke

Models: BMW K1200 LT, 2005
Number Potentially Involved: 181
Dates of Manufacture: April 2004

Defect: On certain motorcycles, an incorrect sealing ring was mounted to the piston of the rear brake master cylinder. If only the rear brake were applied during riding, insufficient braking pressure would be available to slow the motorcycle, which could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the rear brake master cylinder. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during July 2004. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117.

NHTSA Recall No. 04V304

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)

fnfalman, I do agree with you. I'd love to have one myself. Specifically the K1200LT specified in the recall notice.

Texas T
11-18-2004, 20:13
K 1200 S

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/splash/images/newk1200s_2/bike.jpg

Texas T
11-18-2004, 20:14
K 1200 LT

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/k1200lt/bike/base_ocean_blue_metallic.jpg

norton
11-19-2004, 07:24
Originally posted by WERA49
Ultimately, I think that the new bike will have a loyal following, just like the opposed twin and inline four. It is still a BMW, it looks like one and will feel like one. The riders will be comfortable with the new bike because of that.

Another benefit is that BMW will likely pickup some new customers that are performance oriented. Many of the new people will have stayed away from BMW because they couldn't 'have their cake and eat it too'. Now they can! :)

I hope its not bland, and too Japanese like. I rode a friends 4 cylinder K bike. It was the sport model, with a little performance fairing. It was one of the early K bikes. It was, in a word, dull.
Especially after jumping off a Ducati 900.

Transverse in line 4's have a tendency to be irritatingly buzzy, with low amp high frequency vibration, especially through the bars, footpegs and sometimes the seat. We will see.

fnfalman
11-19-2004, 16:08
From what I've read from the various UK moto mags, it isn't like the Japanese liter bikes. Oh, it's fast, but it's BMW fast (i.e. smooth pulling instead of buzzing and blazing).

norton
11-19-2004, 17:37
Originally posted by fnfalman
From what I've read from the various UK moto mags, it isn't like the Japanese liter bikes. Oh, it's fast, but it's BMW fast (i.e. smooth pulling instead of buzzing and blazing).

I am always amazed at what people will put up with just because of a nameplate. If its not Japanese sport bike fast, then what's the point of paying mucho dinero more then a Honda? And please don't give me that crap about build quality, or that intangible asset "character". If its buzzy and not fast, and its a clone of an engine configuration Japan made famous, then call it what it is. An expensive imitation.

WERA49
11-20-2004, 11:42
If its buzzy and not fast,
Who said that it was buzzy and not fast?

and its a clone of an engine configuration Japan made famous,
Made famous, yes. The inline four has been around for decades. It is a good design. My GSXR1000 is very smooth. To say that all inline fours are buzzy is an over statement.

Transverse in line 4's have a tendency to be irritatingly buzzy, with low amp high frequency vibration, especially through the bars, footpegs and sometimes the seat. We will see.
You need to ride different and newer bikes. Why do you expect anything that BMW makes to be buzzy? They are known for being smooth. Everyone expects that from them.

In addition to all that has been said, some people just like riding/driving something different. My P7M8 is not for everyone, but I love it! Everyone that has shot it has fell in love with it. How many people ride/drive BMW's have the same experience. Coincidence? I think not! :)

norton
11-20-2004, 17:26
FnFalman said the U.K. bike mags called it BMW fast. That translates to not as fast as a Honda to me. What does it say to you?

As far as inline transverse mounted 4 cylinders, Japan owns this category.
The mighty original CB 750 Honda thunderstuck the motorcycle world when it came out in 1969. Not only did it have 4 cylinders, it had 4 carbs and disc brakes. And it was affordable.
Prior to the CB 750 can you name for me any manufacturer who produced an inline 4 cylinder that was fast and reliable? At any point in time?
After the CB debuted, Harley almost collapsed, the mighty British M/c industry collapsed. At that time BMW only produced stodgy old mans bikes, with heavy flywheels that would barely get out of their own way.
Did you read my post? I have owned 3 BMW's, I have ridden twice as many other BMW models.
I have swung a leg over damn near every brand of bike manufactured in the last 50 years.
M/C companies need an image thats all their own. Harley has that, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Triumph etc. Wonder why the 4 cylinder Triumphs failed. Too Japanese like. Their triples on the other hand are fabulous.
BMW will not further their image trying to be a me too to the orient.

WERA49
11-20-2004, 19:14
FnFalman said the U.K. bike mags called it BMW fast. That translates to not as fast as a Honda to me. What does it say to you?
Fast is a relative term. However, 167 HP is not.

I have owned 3 BMW's, I have ridden twice as many other BMW models.
Those share nothing but a name with the new one.

BMW will not further their image trying to be a me too to the orient.
Me too? Hardly. As you know, BMW's are very different. I'm guessing that they will not lose any customers. They will only gain customers.

Norton, if you don't want one, don't buy it.

norton
11-21-2004, 07:09
Wera49
Horsepower numbers published by the manufacturers are always suspect. As well as dry weight.

At least the K bike engine was fairly unique. I know there is nothing really new in the universe. But this engine was easily identifiable to BMW.

Only time and the market will tell if this new bike will be a boom or bust.

WERA49
11-21-2004, 10:29
Horsepower numbers published by the manufacturers are always suspect. As well as dry weight.
I agree. It will be nice to read a full review.

Only time and the market will tell if this new bike will be a boom or bust.
I agree. My guess is that it will be a success.

fnfalman
11-22-2004, 15:17
BMWs are not designed like Japanese or Italian bikes. You crack the throttle on those Jap liter bikes and they'll lunge and howl. You crack the throttle on the Bimmer superbike and it'll pull smoothly without any drama. It doesn't buzz like the Japanese and Italian bikes either. It's a BMW and that means it's a competent vehicle that is designed to perform and ride in a certain way.

As far as I-4 engines go, even Ducati goes four-banger. That configuration may once be the realms of the Japanese two-wheelers, but not any more. No more than V-twins are American and Italian icons. Honda RC51 seems to do just fine with its V-twin engine.

I can't conceive my riding something as power as the new K-bike, at least not any time soon. But it's nice to know that when I'm ready to move up the performance ladder, I can still get me a BMW instead of having to settle for another make.

But for now the F650CS is more than enough for my novice self.

YMMV.

Daniel Ramsey
12-03-2004, 08:57
I'm gonna buy this bike this year.

WERA49
12-03-2004, 15:06
I'm gonna buy this bike this year.
^c

Please, please write a review and post it here.

Daniel Ramsey
12-04-2004, 18:14
Check out this article about the K1200 S!!
http://www.bmwoflasvegas.com/articles/k1200s_introduction_81004.html

And here is another...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-k1200s/

http://www.bmwra.org/images/Intel/K12Sred_4web.jpg