Solaris Help needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Solaris Help needed

kilroy2721
11-16-2004, 20:16
I have just taken over a Sun Ultra 5 workstation that has ver. 5.7 on it. I would like to install Solaris 8 on it, but I am unable to. My problem is when the box boots up, it goes straight to the OS. I am not able to get into the bios, or boot to the floppy, I can get it to boot into the cdrom mode though, but I want to do a clean install, and am not sure of how to wipe it clean, any advice?

unixglocker
11-16-2004, 22:03
No bios. Search for Open Firmware. Send it a break to get to a
prompt, boot cdrom.

Clean install part of install process.

Originally posted by kilroy2721
I have just taken over a Sun Ultra 5 workstation that has ver. 5.7 on it. I would like to install Solaris 8 on it, but I am unable to. My problem is when the box boots up, it goes straight to the OS. I am not able to get into the bios, or boot to the floppy, I can get it to boot into the cdrom mode though, but I want to do a clean install, and am not sure of how to wipe it clean, any advice?

HerrGlock
11-17-2004, 06:34
Not a problem.

When the little spinny aroundy thing comes up and you see the boot screen that shows memory (the first thing that comes up on the monitor when booting), press and hold the "Stop" key on the top left of the keyboard and then, with that key still pressed, hit the "A" key on the keyboard.

You will get a prompt that says "Ok"

Press the eject button on the cdrom and put the Solaris 8 disk into it.

type

boot cdrom

That will boot the disk in the cdrom.

as said above, clean install (new install on the menu), do not upgrade.

DanH

David_G17
11-17-2004, 10:33
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Not a problem.

When the little spinny aroundy thing...

;z

you and your fancy high-tech jargon.