Nephew's first deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nephew's first deer

TexAg
11-17-2004, 13:40
My nephew shot his first deer last Saturday morning. He, his mom, and I went to my feeder where the night before we set up a pop-up blind so we could all fit in it. I was hoping the does I had seen there before would show up, but nothing showed until about 8am when this 8 point came along ( I had passed on it the previous week, thinking I'd get him next year when he was bigger, but its a great first buck). I was dozing on and off and my nephew and sister were asleep, so as I opened my eyes and saw this guy come out of the brush I shook my nephew awake. He got his .22-250 up as the deer went down into a creek bed, then as he got closer, my nephew snapped the safety off (I told him later he could ease it forward and be quieter) the buck looked up and POW, nephew shot and deer went down right there at about 50 yards. He hit him in the neck as he was quartering toward us and we recovered a good chunk of the bullet along the spine where it broke his back. It was great to be there for it and I gutted him so he could watch and learn, but told him if I got a deer that day he had to do mine!

lomfs24
11-17-2004, 17:44
Great story. I'll bet he is jacked about it. That is a great buck for his first time out. I love it when kids get involved in outdoor sports. Both my boys will be with me as soon as they can be.

Tell him congrats!!! That's a great buck.

dougader
11-17-2004, 17:52
That's awesome. I went hunting with my Dad a few times when I was younger but never got a deer. Your nephew has got to be proud about that nice buck! Great shot, too.