Hunting from you computer? (must read) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting from you computer? (must read)

eagles405
11-17-2004, 18:45
I don't think this is hunting.;g
eagles405

"Web site allows hunters to kill real prey online

05:52 PM CST on Wednesday, November 17, 2004

By Jason Whitely / 11 News, Houston TX

Hunters may soon be able to forego the camouflage, deer blinds and unpredictable weather for the creature comforts of home as they shoot their favorite wildlife. They could aim and fire from their desktop and the prey is live animals.

Some hunters are apalled by the idea.

"I was probably seven years old when I shot my first deer," said Joe Morales.

Morales has been around hunters ever since he can remember. So when a Texan created a Web site where you can hunt with a remote control rifle on the Internet, Morales was naturally skeptical.

"I thought it was pretty distasteful," Morales said. "To me, it's what I call a canned hunt -- when someone brings in animals and pins them up just for profit and kills them. As for hunting, that's not hunting."

The Web site, from a ranch outside San Antonio, is believed to be the first of its kind.

For $15, you'll soon be able to rent time on the rifle and shoot an animal with the click of your mouse if it walks through your computer screen.

The Web site, live-shot.com, says it's aimed at disabled and handicapped hunters.

Right now, it's perfectly legal to hunt using your computer as long as you have a state license. But Texas Parks and Wildlife tells us it's trying to ban it because the state says among other things it's unsafe.

"Where that round eventually ends up, although the site says it has someone right there on location, what's beyond that picture that you see is uncontrollable," explained Maj. Ted Tolle with Texas Parks & Wildlife.

The Web site says safety is paramount.

And attendants are there to retrieve your kill and send it to you.

Like it or not, the owner says he's already overwhelmed with interest -- weeks before the first on-line hunter ever fires a shot."

Add from the websit
"live-shot.com

"Look for trophy animals to have the beautiful black and white coloration with horn lengths from 16 to 20 inches," the Web site promises."

nyredneck
11-17-2004, 20:05
My God Man! Why the hell even hunt then! Hunting isn't about killing, it's about eveything else that leads up the shot! This is just plain disgusting!:(

Hunterjbb
11-17-2004, 23:14
IF it's truly for the handicapped or disabled folks that can't get into the woods, i'm not sure i'd have a problem with it, however the safety issue is pretty big also and the game commission will deal with that..

Other big problem is how do they confirm your "truly" disabled and can't go hunt ?..

so I can see a lot of bugs having to be worked out and to be honest i doubt it will fly more for the safety issue's then anything else.

But yeah i also agree it's not about the killing, least to me it's not.. I would never do this even if i was handicapped..

Jeff.

lomfs24
11-18-2004, 10:34
I don't think this is hunting. I don't even think it is a alternative for handicapped people. I think this is a glorified, real time, video game.

I think it is sick, twisted and should be outlawed as soon as possible. There are other alternatives for handicapped people. If you don't believe me ask the man who works at my local landfill who has been in a wheel chair and ask him how he got his 350 class 6 point bull elk this year. He will not tell you that he shot it on a game farm across the internet.

OTOH, I think it would be fun to be able to do their target shooting if you could shoot some cooler guns than a .22. Like a fully auto weapon.

scrilla
11-18-2004, 18:44
This totally sucks. There are already enough people who think hunting is wrong and this will only give them more fuel. This is completely unethical even for handicap people. There are plenty of ranches out there that cater to handicap people.

Alchemy
11-18-2004, 19:14
This is not hunting. Hunting is about getting with your
friends, or by yourself, to enjoy solitude or friendship.
Granted everyone want's to bring home an animal, but
the joy of just relaxing and getting away from your
everyday grind is also part of hunting.

If in fact this is true. I think that the Game Dept.
will put a quick stop to it!

onemilmhz
11-18-2004, 20:42
I can't imagine what idiot came up with this rediculous idea. It was obviously someone who knows absolutely nothing about ethical hunting. It's not about the kill, it's about the experience. You can't experience hunting from your desk. Take the hunting out of it and you still have a disaster of an idea. What moron thinks someone operating a firearm by remote computer hundreds of miles away makes sense!? Leave the smart weapons to the experts, our men and women in uniform!

nyredneck
11-18-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by onemilmhz
Leave the smart weapons to the experts, our men and women in uniform!

That's assuming everyone that logged in to use the weapons was smart, cause y'know, they're only as smart as the people who operate them!!;f

CanyonMan
11-20-2004, 01:57
Having been guiding for over 30 years, and a transplanted Okie, now in Tx. I must say, this PC hunting, and Penned up hunting, is absolutely ridiculous!

As for it being a good idea for the Handicapped, this to is not even realistic.

Let me explain:

I have a very good friend that is paralized from the center chest down. He is a "hunter" always has been, and an ethical country boy from a ranch back home, he was shot in the back, and that eneded his walking days, but it 'did not' end him being a human being. He wheels himself out to his pickup truck, pulls himself in, or has help at times, and his truck is rigged for the handicapped. When he gets where he wants to be, he mounts a big four wheeler, (also rigged for him), and goes into some pretty heavy places. He has taken 'record book' game, from deer in Okla; To antelope, and even elk in Colo. "He is a hunter." My stetson is off to him.

If we are willing to make ourselves 'available' to those who are handicapped, we can give them a helping hand, and stay with them, and let them 'truly hunt'. Those who 'offer REAL guided hunts,' (not canned hunts), should "all", make it known that they cater to the handicapped, and will do 'what ever it takes', to get them out there in the wild, and see to it 'they have a good time'. Man, it means a lot to these folks just to get out in the woods, and be a part!

My friend has to really work at it, and it ain't always easy for him, But he is "a hunter."

We are really against the "canned hunts." Shooting fish in a barrel, as it were, for mega bucks, ($$$), that is, driving up and shooting something out of a jeep, and then going back to the office, and lying to everyone about how you trailed the critter for miles, and made a 300 yard shot, while pointing to the mount on the wall, is beyond the words i have to describe how ridiculous this is.

Wether it is by computer, or driving up in a jeep and blowing away a "penned up animal," Boys, "this ain't hunting!

I think Arnold Shwartzenegger would call them, "GIRLY-MEN!

I am "very passionate" for the handicapped, but there is "always some way," to get them out there, and help them have a good hunt, even if they don't get anything. At least by doing this, they feel good about themselves, and that they have "accomplished something."

If you know someone like this... Sacrifice something, for a while, and make the effort to help get them out and hunt, they will be blessed even with an empty game bag, just by simply showing them the love and compassion, to spend the time and effort to show them we really care, and they "ain't" just a person who "has to hunt from a PC!"

BUT, As for the ones who "ARE NOT" handicapped, and participate in these activities, well, their handicap is "in their heart and mind", to call 'this style' a "hunt."

'These,' are the "Girly-Men!"...........No Smilely Face!

CanyonMan

lomfs24
11-20-2004, 04:29
Agreed up to the point where Girly and Men are spoken in the same breath. I don't think the word men should even be used.

Nightspell
11-20-2004, 20:35
This sounds like a real pain in the ass. I want my animals tied to a tree and killed with as much gore as possible. Is it illegal to hunt with explosives?

"Now, from 'KILLS**T.com', we present the 'Barrel-O-Gore'. For only $25 we'll send you a 45 gallon barrel containing 1 dog, 1 cat, a mystery animal, and 3 pounds of C-4. Order Now!"

CanyonMan
11-21-2004, 02:49
lomfs24, Said..(quote)

"Agreed up to the point where Girly and Men are spoken in the same breath. I don't think the word men should even be used." (end quote).

I agree.

My brother and i were talking about this again tonight, and when he found out about the "PC" hunting, he was as appalled as i was.

But, this seems to be the "going trend," among some, who can't even spell 'ethics' much less 'live life with them.' We are hoping that enough game rangers, and those in game management, etc, will rise up and help make this 'new fad' illegal. About the time i begin to think, 'naw, this won't ever really catch on,' i am concerned that with the ever growing number of arm chair hunters, and hard hearted, lazy, unethical thrill seekers, that it just might get even worse. Like my brother said tonight, "this ain't hunting, it's killing, for thrill."

I believe that most,'not all,' of the folks here on HFC forum, are responcible sportsmen, and really 'love to hunt,' and 'not for the kill', but for 'the hunt itself,' and just the fact they are outdoors, and enjoy that privilege.

As i have said before.. The 'thrill seekers', and those who just 'love the killing,' for the sake of killing, we really try and 'weed out,' from taking hunting, or 'having them on the ranch at all.' This is a hard thing, for many times, you don't know they are like that till it is to late. Sometimes it is easy to spot by their attitude and the answers you get when you ask a few questions.

We have one family member that is this way. He wants to "kill something," but 'does not' want to eat it. He has 'no respect' for the hunt, or the game hunted...But, then again, he 'doesn't have any respect for the other family members, or anyone else for that matter either.....' This seems to be the case with these type of folks.

So, we won't take him on a hunt!

Hopefully, this type of 'new fad' will be done away with as fast as it came, and more and more guides and outfitters will start being more 'selective,' of who their clients will be, and stop being so concerned with the $$$$$.

CanyonMan

Dogbite
11-21-2004, 11:10
This is horrible.Its a disgrace to the outdoor sporting world.If you cant smell the rain,and hear the birds in the trees,feel the morning sun shining on your face....your not hunting.Its the adventure of being in the wild places,where anything can happen.Overcoming rain,mud,snow,cold.The pulse pounding excitment of hearing the animal moving through the wilderness close to you.That is hunting.Sitting in front of a computer,in a sterile world,looking at something on a screen is just playing a computer game.No danger,nothing to overcome,no unexpected situations.Who would want to do such a thing?You give up nothing,and in so doing,take nothing away from the experience.This makes me sick.

aggie03
11-25-2004, 11:27
I heard about this. I think it's completely unethical and no reason for it. I have heard the excuse that if you have a physical disability preventing you from hunting then this is your only option. Not true...there are plenty of people who will push your wheelchair right up to your deer blind.