Can a PC and MAC Co-Exist on a Wireless Network? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can a PC and MAC Co-Exist on a Wireless Network?

Nalapombu
11-18-2004, 00:02
Hey all,

Something I have been wondering about. Lets say I have a main machine running Windows XP that connects to the Internet via Cable Modem. I decide later on that I would like to have a portable to be able to move about the house with and get on the Internet. I get a Wireless router and the hardware to make it possible and then I get a new Apple Powerbook. Will the Apple machine be able to share the wireless Internet connection without any trouble? Would I be able to share a printer over the network if printer drivers were available for both Apple and XP? What about editing a Word document on the Apple and then opening it up on the main machine with Word and then printing it out?
What would the limitations be if one was to run a setup like I described? Is it even possible?
Thanks for the help and clearing this up.

Nala

JMag
11-18-2004, 00:19
I have a network card in a old desktop PC running Win 98 SE, a wired 4-port router connected to it, a wireless hub with an iBook and a Win XP wireless notebook running off of it, and an older iMac running off a Neverwire (AC ethernet-type wireless unit, one at each end).

I did it myself with some assistance from Linksys (who do not officially support Macs). It is a hybrid network essentially; wired and wireless with Macs and PCs working with no problems.

I cannot speak to the printer sharing as I have not gone that route as yet.

11-18-2004, 07:01
In a word, yes. Both use TCP/IP for most traffic, the only slightly more complex configurations would be setting up file and printer sharing.