How To Take Apart The Model 27 Magazine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How To Take Apart The Model 27 Magazine

diamondmike
11-18-2004, 09:10
I picked up a Glock model 27 and I have never seen anything like this!.

On the bottom of the magazine it has the button to take off the floor plate BUT! it has two little tabs that stop the floor plate from sliding off, one little tab on each side of the magazine.

Anyone know how to take these magazines apart??

kage
11-18-2004, 09:21
Glockmeister knows:

http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml

diamondmike
11-18-2004, 09:34
Kage

Thanks for the information but the magazine in the model 27 just does not slide off like that after pushing in the button!.

I am starting to wonder if the magazine was made so that you can not take it apart!.

kage
11-18-2004, 10:43
I've got a G27 also...you have to squeeze the sides of the magazine a little, but they do disassemble.

It gets easier once you've done it a few times. I frequently change between the standard baseplate and the Pearce +1 extensions on each of my magazines, so I've gotten better at it - but the first time took a while.

mpol777
11-18-2004, 10:50
Those tabs are on all mags, that I know at least, and the floorplate will pop around them. Don't be afraid to put some force on it, it'll go.

DannyR
11-18-2004, 12:27
Firmly insert a Glock tool all the way through the hole, flipping the plastic insert out of the way.

Using the inserted tool as leverage, pull forward about 1/2 inch while squeexing the base with your other hand.

Remove the tool and carefull slide the base off, being ready to catch the spring.

You don't just push the button as must folks seem to think. You have to insert the tool or punch far enough, firmly enough, to flip the plastic insert over on it's side.

Total operation should take less than 3 seconds.

RandySmith
11-18-2004, 13:07
Piece of cake...

Mag disassembly (http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/magdis.mpg)

Randy

DannyR
11-18-2004, 13:55
Randy,

Thanks for making the video that I've been trying to make. I have requested it be made into a sticky.

DWavs
11-18-2004, 17:20
Originally posted by DannyR
Randy,

Thanks for making the video that I've been trying to make. I have requested it be made into a sticky.

Stickied per your request.

David

diamondmike
11-18-2004, 19:54
Thanks for all the advice men!

But I took it to a gun shop and the guy put a towel around it and took a pair of channel locks and pressed in the bottom of the magazine and pushed in the button at the same time and off it came!, I had him put on a finger extension and it feels great!!.

That model 27 is the same size as my Kel-Tec P-11 but weighs more but is a very very accurate gun for being such a large caliber in such a small gun.

It says it holds 9 rounds but I had to really fight the 9th one in.

When I do Diamond deals out of state I have been carrying a Colt Officers model 45acp, I think those days of packing the Colt are over with I am going to carry my model 27 I just can not believe how accurate it is.

I used the CorBon 135gr. and think that it will/would make a great man stopper!

But thanks again for all the advice!!

RandySmith
11-18-2004, 20:00
... took a pair of channel locks...

I hope he didn't ruin it.

Randy

diamondmike
11-18-2004, 20:18
NO! it did not ruin it, theres not even as much as a scratch or dent on it.

Every where I read it said to press in the bottom sides of the magazine to get the floor plate off, I work out every day and use hand grips when I am not busy doing anything else and I tried to press the sides in with my bare hands and it would not budge, it took all he had using the channel locks these little magazines are built like a tank!.

The gun came with two magazines so I am just going to keep the finger extension on one magazine and keep one magazine without it.

RandySmith
11-18-2004, 20:40
It doesn't take much strength at all - just proper technique.

Randy

diamondmike
11-19-2004, 12:15
I watched the video and it made the job look simple, do you need that special tool?

I could see where the guy pressed in the sides of the magazine but mine sure does not bend in that easy, or is it the trick of that special tool that makes it come apart easier?

Steve A
11-19-2004, 13:25
You can accomplish the same thing with a pin punch from your local hardware store. It's a 3/32" if I remember correctly. You don't really have to squeeze hard on the sides, the technique is what does it.

Nice video!

DannyR
11-19-2004, 14:34
If macho gun shop man dented you mag, the dent will be on the metal inside and not on the polymer outside. It takes very little strength to squeeze the tube. I'm 60, just getting over a heart attack, and can still do it behind my back in 3 seconds.;)

The hands in the video are the hands of Randy's wife.

RandySmith
11-19-2004, 14:52

Oh my goodness no! She was on the other end of the camera. ;)

Randy

diamondmike
11-19-2004, 16:19
RandySmith

Where do you get these tools from that was used in the video?

I have called three gun shops and none of them have ever heard of this tool.

Yesterday I took that magazine to a total of 4 different gun shops and none of them knew how to get it apart!.

They all said just push in the button and slide it right off, after I showed them the tabs on the sides they was really puzzled, one guy called over another guy and that guy said that the magazines was made like that so that they can not be taken apart.

Thanks for posting the video I now atleast know not to take channel locks to get it apart!.

RandySmith
11-19-2004, 16:48
The tool I used in the video is the standard glock armorer's tool. I got it when I attended the course. They are also available from all the on-line glock supply places - Lone Wolf, Top Glock, etc...

I am glad you found the video to be of use.

Randy

diamondmike
11-19-2004, 18:01
Well I took one apart!

I used a long thin ice pick and did it just like you showed in the video and it came right apart and only slightly pressed in on the sides.

It is unreal how many gun shops out there sell the Glocks and do not know the first thing about how to do such a simple job as this.

I am glad that they stuck your video up to stay!, I am sure alot of people will benifit from it.

THANKS!

DAG27
11-21-2004, 21:35

sdfhpson
12-10-2004, 22:38
I don't like the sound of the "click" when you pry on the plate... sounds like something breaking!

RandySmith
12-11-2004, 06:44
You are compressing the magazine spring when you press down on the insert with the armorer's tool. When the insert slips out from underneath the armorer's tool, the magazine spring's tension is released. The magazine spring uncompresses and strikes the underside of the floor plate. 'CLICK'

This is the technique for full capacity magazines. Any of the 10-rounders produced to meet the restrictions of the klinton gun ban are better handled in a slightly different way. Instead of pushing the tool straight down into the magazine, angle the tip towards the front of the magazine and insert. There is an additional 'shelf' on each side of the left and right insides of the magazine tube. These prevent the magazine insert from going straight down. It must angle downward in the front to be pushed into the tube.

Randy

canis latrans
12-19-2004, 07:41
can the 9 rounders be easily converted to 11 rounds mags (now that we're legal to have them)?

DannyR
12-19-2004, 08:12
No!

The reason 9-round magazines are not 10-round magazines is that 9 is the physical limit. You have to add a "+" base to increase the capacity of 9-round magazines.

canis latrans
12-19-2004, 13:06
appreciate the reply, DannyR.

bocaj
02-18-2005, 14:04
SWEET the video helped like a champ.. I popped of the old bottom grip and stuck on the pearce grip etender for my Glock 27 and bam im in business :)

AggieAK
02-23-2005, 00:45
as a side note, i, being the ever-intelligent aggie that i am, was not pushing the post on the floorplate down enough... i figured if the post was clearing then it'll slide off... wrong. when i tried to compress the sides, it wouldn't budge, and i felt that i would need a tool (like channel locks) later i realized that i was forcing the sides into the floorplate that i was pushing down only a little, once i depressed it more, the thing slid right off. keep that in mind if you are having trouble, push that thing way down.

Glock27Fan
03-17-2005, 02:31
Yeah, the video is great. When I bought the 27 a couple weeks ago, I got the grip extensions. Then I heard about the +1's and got those today. I had to have the gunshop put on the original ext's on, but the video really helped and it was very easy. BTW, I used the 3/32 punch on mine. Thanks!

TRIPLEthreat
04-03-2005, 15:54
I thought about getting that video too about the 27. I had a bear of a time getting the magazine apart when I put my Pearce extender grip on a few weeks ago. I was buying some ammo at a little mom and pop local gun shop here and I bought another extender from the guy and mentioned how difficult it was to put on. He said he could do it in about 20 seconds with just a punch. I'd like to see that!

DannyR
04-03-2005, 16:26
TripleThreat,

Scroll up to Randy's video and watch it. Actual removal time is about 3 seconds.

Glkster19
04-25-2005, 06:45
Originally posted by RandySmith
Piece of cake...

Mag disassembly (http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/magdis.mpg)

Randy

Very useful video, thanks Randy. Bought the Pearce extenders a month ago and could not get the baseplates off. Watched the video and although it did take me a little longer than 3 seconds, I now have my extenders on.

One of those things I didn't want to ask cause many times on GT people get ridiculed for asking a question. Granted, it usually comes from the GNG forum. While this was my first visit to this forum, I may just have to hang out here a little more to learn other tidbits of info.

Thanks Randy and DannyR

Custom Glock Racing
05-06-2005, 12:06
A couple more videos that show other methods.

http://www.custom-glock.com/magtech.html

tone
07-13-2005, 22:13
It seems like the technique in the video is probably that easy with a larger frame Glock (because you have more to work with) I couldn't get this to work with a G27 (subcompact). I did however get the boiling water method to work & it worked very well. Just go slow when putting the floor plate or mag extension back on and the tab will go into the hole easily.
No damage or concern whatsoever! Thanks for the tip!

Jim 42
08-06-2005, 13:19
Fellas ,thanks for the videos nicley done!:)

sdfhpson
08-07-2005, 02:32
Originally posted by sdfhpson
I don't like the sound of the "click" when you pry on the plate... sounds like something breaking!

Ok... I've gotten over this!

TimWarner
09-06-2005, 14:42
The proper technique to remove the base plate on a Klinton mag is to place the magazine on a post 7 yards away, draw G19, shoot the magazine.

The base plate should come off then.

Glock-N-Fun
09-07-2005, 10:41
TW,

In a strange way your right,i personally fell the plastic mags were a mistake from the gitgo.If Gaston would have bit the bullet and made metal mags with a nicely manufactured metal mag lock/release,he wouldn't have had to modify his mags three times,and the mags would have lasted longer under heavy use and punisment.

springermania
09-09-2005, 07:52
Ok, my mags finally looked like they needed disassembly to clean them out. I took my armorer's tool and inserted it onto the button and while depressing it, the button slipped, looks like it's in the mag sideways or something. Anyways, all I can engage with the tool at this point is coils of the spring. I get the sinking feeling I screwed something up, as I can't get the thing apart now. Any suggestions?

Springer

RandySmith
09-09-2005, 08:09
Normal.

Now, use the end of the tool to pull the plate off (as demo'ed in the video). You are good to go.

edited to add:

Is it just offset so the button doesn't protrude through the hole in the floorplate or has the entire plate underneath the floorplate been pushed out of the way? In other words, can you see the spring coils through the hole?

Randy

springermania
09-09-2005, 09:38
I can physically see the spring through the hole, I'm really worried I screwed something up.

RandySmith
09-09-2005, 10:57
No - you are fine.

Use the armorer's tool to pull the floorplate off.

Have you watched the video?

Randy

springermania
09-09-2005, 13:37
Ok, after some fiddling, I got the mag apart. I haven't had any trouble doing this before, maybe I just did something goofy. Somehow, the insert was dislodged from it's position, and was sitting at an ange to the floorplate, dragging on one side of the mag body. I was able to use some uneven pressure on the mag tube and finally pop it off. I'd never seen that before. Thanks for your help!

Springer

RandySmith
09-09-2005, 13:41
I take it you didn't watch any of the videos.

The insert is SUPPOSED to become dislodged from its normal position.

Glad you got it.

Randy

ShootNMove
12-13-2005, 20:34
I don't have the Glock tool, just a Craftsman 3/32 punch and I guess it's not long enough to perfom your procedure on my mags. No problem, I stick a straight pick (that I bought at WalMart in a set of 4 for like $3) through the back between the baseplate and mag tube and it slides right off!

I found that trying to pry it off through the access hole was actually bending the base plate more than my other method.

hunterwarrior
12-17-2005, 23:37
I ***gently*** pre-squeeze the bottom of the mag slightly with a 4" pair of Vise Grips with the swivel pads (The smallest they make). I dipped the pads in Plasti-Dip to keep them from damaging or sliding off the mags. Then use the Glock Meister method. Works every time with no issues.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/small/11sp_sm.jpg

DannyR
12-18-2005, 06:57
^2 The medhod taught by Glock and illustrated here by Randy is so simple that most of you cannot comprehend it. Vise grips are the best way I know to bend and damage magazine tubes.

hunterwarrior
12-18-2005, 11:12
^2 The medhod taught by Glock and illustrated here by Randy is so simple that most of you cannot comprehend it. Vise grips are the best way I know to bend and damage magazine tubes.
I respectfully disagree. Some BRAND NEW sub compact magazines won't cooperate. Using very slight pressure with very small Vise Grips does NOT damage the magazines.

RandySmith
12-18-2005, 11:32
Originally posted by hunterwarrior
I respectfully disagree.
As do I - with your assessment.
Some BRAND NEW sub compact magazines won't cooperate. Using very slight pressure with very small Vise Grips does NOT damage the magazines.
It is all in the technique. Brute force is not required.

Do you even realize what part(s) you are compressing (and mashing/damaging) when you tighten up the vise grips? This tool is totally unnecessary.

Send me one of these brand new G27 mags that you cannot get apart without vise-grips and I will videotape the disassembly for you. If I can do it in under 5 seconds, I keep the mag - if not, I'll send yours back along with a brand new one.

Randy

tna55
01-10-2006, 12:15
Step 1. Grasp magazine firmly, insert punch into hole in bottom of mag
Step 2. Push corner of baseplate against hard surface.
Step 3. Throw everything violently away, jump around screaming like a 10 year old girl.
Step 4. Remove punch from right hand with pliers.
Step 5. After returning from emergency room, decide mag didnít need to be cleaned after all.

g27_mengi
01-16-2006, 07:53
Found myself pretty frustrated yesterday about this exact subject. Then I did a search on GlockTalk. Bingo -- end of frustration. Thanks for the sticky, guys!

Glock27Holywood
01-29-2006, 16:43
I have one myself and with many many hours and much bleeding involved they do come apart. But be prepared to bleed and cuss a lot during the procedure. Basically they say.... (Glock) Press on the mag sidewalls were the two tabs are and place a small screwdriver or metal pry bar and slide the but plate off. It's that simple.... Wish you luck!

Pistol
02-08-2006, 17:04
Some of the comments above sound like the video is not being followed fully. (Excellent Randy - I have done technical training too in another field)

It really is that simple, but I can see some folks are not using a tool that has the dimensions of the Glock tool. I made one from a good quality T6 screwdriver tool by just nipping the torx head off the end with a Dremel. Shaft is about 35-40mm long.Easier to find and cheaper than the tool, try Sears for ex.

The Glock tool dimensions are ideal for them and I have seen many posts where a pin puch of 3/32 is used. These do not have a long enough shaft in the straight area. Others try awls or what ever too, a taper is not going to work on some tasks on the Glock.

Thanks to the armorer where I bought mine, I got the guided tour upon purchase for disassembly.

RandySmith
02-08-2006, 20:42
Excellent point Pistol, spot on!

'The right tool for the job' has a lot of merit.

What is the shape of the handle on the torx screwdriver? The rounded corners of the armorer's tool are used to center the pins in the frame. ;)

Randy

BowHunter252
03-01-2006, 16:15

What is the shape of the handle on the torx screwdriver? The rounded corners of the armorer's tool are used to center the pins in the frame. ;)

Randy

Ahhh now I find out. I've been pushing them back and forth about 10 times to get them centered:)

cincnorad
03-22-2006, 00:12
Just got my Glock 26 today...and after a few hours of pain, frustration, and cussing with trying to get the Mags disassembled -- I finally figured out the solution.

Glockmeister.com sells mags with grip extensions already installed. I should have them by Friday. :)

shovel99
03-27-2006, 05:31
I was referred to your video from my "help" post for the exact same reason. Thanks for helping us all out! Paul D.

shovel99
03-27-2006, 06:23
... or this won't work. When I just depressing the inner base slightly, which would "seem" to work, apparently the inner base was still preventing the outer base from sliding off. I watched the video again, saw Randy push the tool in at least an inch, heard the "click". When I did that, mine came right off. When the base was off, I could see that the 1" thrust had completely flipped the inner base to the side.

Thanks again Randy and everyone else. I can't imagine accomplishing much in the gun hobby without everyone's great assistance.

Paul D.

RandySmith
03-27-2006, 22:25
...push the tool in at least an inch, heard the "click". When I did that, mine came right off...

...I could see that the 1" thrust had completely flipped the inner base to the side.

Glad you got it.

Flipping the insert aside is the key to disassembling a magazine.

Randy

HuntingGuy
06-16-2006, 12:15
Randy,

Finally broke down and bought a GAT at Lone Wolf, sure is better than a sanded down screwdriver LOL..

Thanks for the fine video, my friend. Ok folks, send me your mags, I'll take off the plates for 3.00 per :supergrin:

kraigster414
11-03-2006, 17:30
If macho gun shop man dented you mag, the dent will be on the metal inside and not on the polymer outside. It takes very little strength to squeeze the tube. I'm 60, just getting over a heart attack, and can still do it behind my back in 3 seconds.;)

I doubt very much that any damage resulted. Brownells actually sells a tool specifically for this purpose that works basically the the same way, though a bit more precise. I have it, I've used it and it works great - no damage to my mags inside or out. You simply exert just enough pressure on the base of the magazine to allow the base plate to be removed. Finger pressure seems to work fine for most.

Misery
01-06-2007, 01:33
I just put a pierce grip extension on my new G33, and I had a very tough time. There's nothing to grab on to since the mag is so small, plus being new it's very tight. I really chewed up the retention button on the floor plate. I used an allen wrench. I won't be putting the other extension on tonight. It's a PITA.

shovel99
01-06-2007, 06:34
Hi Misery,

From your comments, its pretty clear that you didn't use a tool long enough to 'flip' the mag base inside the mag. The allen wrench wasn't either long or stout enough. You can use anything with a shaft on it small enough to fit into the opening... like a number eight nail... or small diameter screwdriver (the point might scratch up the retainer but not hurt anything). A flat blade screwdriver small enough to fit works just fine.

You just push the bottom plate in with the screw driver at least 2 inches or there abouts... angling the screwdriver at about a 30 degree angle to one side of the mag or the other. You need the length so that there is room for the inner base to rotate 90 dgrees to the plate and slip past the screwdriver shaft. When it does, you will hear a click. You then just use your tool, still insterted, to slide the base forward, off the magazine.

Again, your tool was too short. They love to sell you Glock Armorer's tools.. but it is just a small screwdriver with the tip hacksawed off.

Good luck.

Paul

Misery
01-11-2007, 14:06
Thanks Paul. I'll look around outside for something better to use. The Glock tool is too expensive for what it is. Anyhow, I'll try how you said. ;)

sfmittels
01-18-2007, 21:09
Try using a small C-clamp to squeeze the sides of the magazine together, then ideally use a proper-sized pin punch. The bottom plate slides off easily and quickly with the magazine sides held together by the C-clamp. Magazine floorplate removal and replacement in less than a minute. Without the C-clamp (or something equivalent), you have an additional task: to clean the blood off the magazine - don't ask how I know.

shafferds
02-06-2007, 14:16
you can also use a flat head scewdriver 1/8 inch - if picked up one from sears for 3.30 + tax - life time warranty

BoondockSaint54
03-17-2007, 16:55
Oops. Think I broke something. I tried the technique in the video, it ain't working. I have a brand new 27 and for the life of me I can't get the plate off. I've tried to press the sides about 20 different ways and still nothing. Now the plate on the inside is sideways and up at the top, not at the side where it's supposed to be. Any advise or is that magazine just garbage now?

shovel99
03-17-2007, 18:58
Hi,
If the interior base has flipped up... to the side... maybe even further up inside the magazine alongside the spring... not to worry. What holds the exterior mag base from just slipping forward off the bottom of the magazine is a small "tit" that pokes through the hole in the base, preventing the exterior base from slipping off.

The bottom of the spring holds the interior base down against the exterior base... and the "tit" in the hole. When you push the "tit" through the hole and the interior base flips... whatever tool you are using should be able to just slide the base forward off the magazine... and the spring will pop down and out, bringing the interior base with it. It's just like a jack in the box of old. When you put it back together... the spring goes in... pretty obvious the orientation of top and bottom parallel with slide and mag base... you push down the spring with the interior base... and while holding it down.... slip the exterior mag base over the interior one... and slide it on until it "clicks" and the "tit" pokes through the hole.

You should be "there"... just pull the base off... I doubt if you have broken it.

Good luck, Paul

RandySmith
03-17-2007, 19:14
The 'tit' on the magazine insert also keeps the magazine insert in place.

The magazine insert itself is what keeps the sides of the magazine from being compressed and the floor plate 'locked' in place. Once it has been flipped out of the way, the floor plate will come right off.

You guys who are using C clamps, the Brownells tool, etc... are going to damage your magazine tube and/or insert.

This is such an easy thing - some of you are making it way more difficult than it has to be by inventing new ways in which to disassemble.

Randy

BoondockSaint54
03-17-2007, 19:38
I'll try it again, I just hope I havn't damages the plate. Thanks again

stratocastor80
06-03-2007, 13:36
I know this thread is a little old, but it really helped me. I thought I had broken one of my mags, had flipped the insert, but couldn't get the baseplate off. After watching the linked video earlier in the thread, I was able to take the plate off and fix it in under 20 seconds. Not that hard once you see it done. Thank you guys so much!!!!!

ndshooter
06-21-2007, 16:58
awesome thread! got my glock 26 2 days ago and couldnt figure out how to get the extenders on. Luckily a nice fellow replied to my post in the accessories thread and i changed mine in about 10 seconds. It amazing how easy it is once you know how to do it. thanks everyone.

-new glock owner

EASTTEXGLOCKER
06-26-2007, 20:56
I thought I would chime in on this subject, those that have done this before it is pretty straight forward. MY first time let say it can cause one to nearly have a nervous breakdown. I LEARNED from my first attempt. So I IMPROVISED I HAVE a XCELITE PS120 KIT some may know that this is 8 small nut drivers and a torque handle. I found that the P-3 3/32" was the perfect size insert it( lock tab release ) half the way down
(1") with nut driver on handle & you can bring the base right on off if you are right handed (pull toward front part of mag) with left hand holding magazine left thumb following the base as you slowly move the left hand thumb to hold spring plate in place mag base now removed ( NOTE DO NOT USE ANY TOOLS) put extension on with right hand & slight downward pressure with left thumb floor plate just enough so base will slide over extension continue until rear of extension is on you will notice the front part of extension is now flush with magazine.If you have trouble pushing just use a sturdy flat surface and push on just reverse for left-handed . Hey folks I hope this will help I know others have give their thought so now I have too and I notice a 60 year young person said he could do it behind his back I may have to try that but I am 66 years old.

GOOD LUCK

SCC
07-13-2007, 20:54

Randy that is good to know thank's did not know that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wavey:

DannyR
10-11-2007, 19:12
Maintenance update 10/11/07.

Glockster27
10-14-2007, 12:11
You can get the Glock Armorers Tool from www.Glockmeister.com or on ebay or just use a 3/32 punch. I wouldn't use channel locks or a vise to compress the sides or the magazine because you may damage the metal part of the magazine or break something in side it.

I have installed at least five extensions on my G27 magazines with this tool and it is a snap once you get use to it. One of the best investments that I have made along with the front & rear sight installation tool from Glockmeister.

Good luck,

parkinaz
11-26-2007, 17:40
Am I missing something regarding the 10 rounders? The inside plate will only push in about 1/8 of an inch before stopping. I finally was able to get the damn thing off but after inspecting it I find that there is absolutely no way that the GAT would insert any farther than the punch I was using. You have very little leverage when you only get the tip of the tool into the mag before it stops.

I haven't tried it on any of the 13 rounders yet but assume that they are built like the mags in the video with an inside plate that can flip up out of the way.

I mashed hands about 2 out of 3 attempts to get the thing apart. Now that I have done it a few times I think I can do it without the bodily injury but there is still no way to take apart the Klinton mags without brute force.

Is this normal with the 10 rounders? I have heard mention of newer baseplates but need to read up on this. Might be that I have older internal plates? Bought the gun in 2000 or so.

DannyR
11-29-2007, 14:00
You just need to use a little more downward force. There have been no changes to the bases or inserts during the last 15 years. All 10-round mags are 1994 or newer.

parkinaz
12-02-2007, 16:57
OK, I just got my spring kit in the mail to rebuild my mags. The 10 rounders are built different then the 13 rounders. There is a shelf built into both sides of the magazine body of the 10 rounder in the base that prevents the internal plate from flipping out of the way when trying to disassemble. It is physically impossible to push the internal plates out of the way on both of mine. All of my 13 rounders disassemble just like the video and are a piece of cake to strip and put back together.

The Glock Armourers Tool cannot be pushed more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch into the mag with the 10 rounders. They are a real PITA to take down. You have to get the nib pushed in and either crank really hard on the tool (I recommend you don't do this as it dings up the hole for the nib) or you have to have something really hard to push the back corner of the base plate on to get it over the locking tabs on the mag body.

I don't know if there are any differences between calibers for the 10 rounders or if any 10 rounders were built different to this but the video solution will not work for both of mine. I have two model 32 .357SIG 10 round mags that are both built the same with the shelves built in the bottom of the mag body. I also have one model 32 .357SIG 13 round mag that disassembles exactly like video shows. I have two model 23 .40 S&W 13 round mags that also disassemble exactly like the video shows.

I can post pics if anyone is really that interested. Long story short, the 10 round mags do not come apart as simply as the hi cap mags unless there are different 10 round mag designs that I don't know about. This may also be the reason why a few others are saying their mags won't come apart easily. I don't know if the 26, 27, 33 mags are built with shelves or not.

wallew
01-03-2008, 23:45
Randy,
WHOA! Flashback to my Glock Armorers one day course. GREAT VID. Short, precise and to the point.

To everyone else who are complaining about the price of this armorers tool.

Let me get this correct.

You spent AT LEAST $400 for a used Glock or $500 for a new Glock. And believe me I DO UNDERSTAND that money does not grow on trees. I am retired. So that means I have ZERO money.

At either Glockmeister or LWD the armorer's tool is $10. Ok, lets add 50% ($5) for s&h. So you spend a TOTAL of $15 for a tool that YOU NEED for ease of disassembly/reassembly and you are saying that's too expensive?

I'm sorry, but that makes NO SENSE.

Do you change a flat tire on your car with a hammer? NO.

You get the tire iron (correct tool for the job) to loosen the nuts on the flat tire.

You use a car jack (please tell me YOU DO USE A CAR JACK - again, the CORRECT TOOL) to lift and lower your car while changing the flat off the car. Yeah, yeah, some of you young studs just hold the car up while your spouse/friend changes the tire.

Then you put the nuts back on with the tire iron again. Unless you are anal like I am and check everything with your torque wrench (you COULD ARGUE it's NOT the correct tool, but according to manufacturers specs, it's so many ft/lbs per nut, so I can't say it is or is not the correct tool).

But folks, it's all relative. Compared to what I paid Glock for the one day armorers course (my memory is vague, as it's been 10+ years) or what I paid for the 14 months of my gunsmithing school, that $15 for the CORRECT TOOL pales in comparison.

And just so EVERYONE KNOWS - the GLOCK ARMORERS TOOL that I got at my Glock Armorer's course a little more than 10 years ago measurement is as follows.

OAL is 3.690 inches
Pin Length is 1.390 inches
Pin Diameter is .0975 inches
Handle is .473 x .473 square and is 2.30 inches in length

(3/32 is .0938 inches, so the armorers tool diameter is a little larger than the 3/32 pin punch - BUT a 3/32 pin punch whose pin is at least 1.5 inches in length for that 3/32 punch SHOULD WORK for this particular magazine disassembly routine)

I hope this helps.

And THANK YOU RANDY for making that video.

And IF THOSE ARE YOUR WIFE'S HANDS IN THE VID, send that woman to a spa day dude...

DannyR
01-04-2008, 19:46
I was wrong about the hands. They are Randy's hands.:embarassed:

shooter757
02-22-2008, 07:36
That was a fantastic VID!

kahman
03-04-2008, 17:45
Perfect, thanks. Two guys at a local gun shop weren't doing it correctly and couldn't get it off. I added my mag extender and as I thought, I took it back off. Reason I got the G26 is to be as compact as possible. It just makes the handle almost as big as the G23 I was carrying. Just my opinion.

texLJ
03-10-2008, 14:29
As do I - with your assessment.
[b]
It is all in the technique. Brute force is not required.

Do you even realize what part(s) you are compressing (and mashing/damaging) when you tighten up the vise grips? This tool is totally unnecessary.

Randy

Absolutely right! Quickest way to damage a magazine (with steel insert) that there is.

The old thing from Glock, about "pressing in on the sides of the magazine where the notch is" is a throwback to before the magazines had steel inserts. Us oldtimers remember those, they were the ones that would not fall free if loaded. However, they went away many years ago. Glock just never managed to change the instructions in their books, as far as I know. You CANNOT press in the sides of a modern magazine enough to slide the base off without damaging the steel insert. Period.

Having said all that, I want to say thanks for the video on this thread. I had been using a different technique, of sliding narrow strips of either plastic or steel between the lip of the base and the body, to actually spread out the lips of the base enough to slide it off (with the center post pushed in, of course). This method, however, is tedious at best, and not near as easy as the one shown on the video posted with this thread.

Again, thanks for that! Never to old, or smart, to learn something new. ;-)

DannyR
03-12-2008, 17:20
Gosh, I must have superhuman strength in my 64 year old weaker left hand.:upeyes:

NotSoFast
06-07-2008, 01:21
Okay. I followed all the instructions, watched the video several times and still had problems. I have a 10 rnd mag (courtesy of California) and a new Glock 17. The first magazine (both factory) the armorer's tool won't go deeper than 1/8" and that is with me pressing my full weight on the tool with the mag on the bench.

On the second, I finally got the tool to go all the way in. Then, when pressing I still needed the channel locks to press in the sides. Only slightly and with the jaws overcenter so that only the tips touched. When I finally got it to release and opened it up, the insert was in two pieces.

According to you folks it shouldn't be this hard. And I'm not going to try any more until I know what the problem is and why the insert broke. By the way, these are the two factory mags that came with the G17.

Any insight to what I am doing (or not doing)? Or is it because it is a 10 rounder that is the problem?

I ordered 5 more inserts from Glockmeister so it will be a few days until I can reassemble.

Does the two V-rails that run the length of the 10 rnd mags have anything to do with why my insert broke? They end only 0.24" from the bottom of the mag and the thickness through the mag at that point on each side is 0.26". With the insert width of 0.74" and the inner opening size of 0.76" I don't see how it has room to flip and not break. I may be missing something though.

NotSoFast
06-07-2008, 01:40
This one?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20733&title=MAGAZINE%20TOOL%20for%20GLOCK~

RandySmith
06-10-2008, 19:45
Here's a video (http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/MagDis10Round.mov) for the 10 round "reduced capacity" type magazines.

Randy

TangoFoxtrot
11-08-2008, 17:03
I just had a hell of a time disassembling 9mm and .40 mags to install Pierce Exts. DAMN!:wow:

DannyR
11-19-2008, 16:10
Why? It's so easy, really.

Ryan Partridge
01-16-2009, 13:16
Thanks for the video Randy!

I just installed 3 Pearce Grip ext on my G-30 magazines. It took 2 minutes!

peterj
01-22-2010, 10:09
I had the same problem, hard to remove the floor plates. After quite a bit of time and frustration, I found the easiest way to do this with no special tools.

take a mug of hot water, not boiling, just coffee hot. Soak the end of the mag in it for 45-60 seconds. Use the punch tool and while firmly squeezing the butt of the mag, press the floorplate against the bench or table. It should move very easily.

This worked like a charm for me. Good luck.

nraman
02-08-2010, 22:53
Disregard.

Tingle
02-15-2010, 00:09
I never had a problem taking my glock mags apart until I bought my G26. For those I use 2 small pieces of popsicle stick above the tabs and a pair of channel locks over the end and the gat in for leverage.

nraman
02-15-2010, 00:28
I never had a problem taking my glock mags apart until I bought my G26. For those I use 2 small pieces of popsicle stick above the tabs and a pair of channel locks over the end and the gat in for leverage.

Today, I tried to take apart a couple of G33 mags and failed, no matter how hard I tried. I was forced to shove feeler gauges on both sides to spread them apart a little.
I should have filed the corners of the tabs to make it easier for the next time.

RandySmith
02-21-2010, 22:05
I cut the drill bit and left only about 1/4" or less sticking out of the handle.

I'm glad you got it working but with only a 1/4" sticking out of your handle, it is not long enough to "flip" the insert.

There's more to it than just depressing the insert so it is below the floor plate.

Randy

nraman
02-22-2010, 00:19
I'm glad you got it working but with only a 1/4" sticking out of your handle, it is not long enough to "flip" the insert.

There's more to it than just depressing the insert so it is below the floor plate.

Randy
Please explain, what else is there? I thought all we need to do is get the insert out of the way to free the floor plate.

nraman
02-22-2010, 00:26
take a mug of hot water, not boiling, just coffee hot. Soak the end of the mag in it for 45-60 seconds. Use the punch tool and while firmly squeezing the butt of the mag, press the floorplate against the bench or table. It should move very easily.

This worked like a charm for me. Good luck.

Great idea!

RandySmith
02-22-2010, 09:05
Please explain, what else is there? I thought all we need to do is get the insert out of the way to free the floor plate.

The insert is designed so that it prevents the sides of the magazine tube (where the locking tabs are located) from being compressed, thus the locking tabs effectively hold the floor plate in place.

To see this, disassemble a magazine, take everything out of the tube, then hold the insert in place and see how it fits. Note that when it is in place, the magazine tube is very difficult to compress.

The purpose of a longer "shaft" on your disassembly tool is to flip that insert out of the way. Watch my video again. Notice that the tool is inserted briskly into the hole in the floor plate and, that once it has been inserted, it stays in place. This motion causes the insert to turn sideways and it is no longer in a position to prevent the sides of the magazine tube from being compressed.

Once that insert has been flipped, you won't need vise grips, C-clamps, the brownell's tool, a hair dryer, a bench vise, boiling water, super-human strength, or anything else beyond your disassembly tool to remove the floor plate.

Keep in mind that the glock magazines do not disassemble like most other magazines on the market. I think this is one of the biggest hangups people have when they first start messing with them. The techniques you know and have used on all of your other magazines will not work well with these. They're designed differently.

Randy

nraman
02-22-2010, 11:17
The insert is designed so that it prevents the sides of the magazine tube (where the locking tabs are located) from being compressed, thus the locking tabs effectively hold the floor plate in place.

To see this, disassemble a magazine, take everything out of the tube, then hold the insert in place and see how it fits. Note that when it is in place, the magazine tube is very difficult to compress.

The purpose of a longer "shaft" on your disassembly tool is to flip that insert out of the way. Watch my video again. Notice that the tool is inserted briskly into the hole in the floor plate and, that once it has been inserted, it stays in place. This motion causes the insert to turn sideways and it is no longer in a position to prevent the sides of the magazine tube from being compressed.

Once that insert has been flipped, you won't need vise grips, C-clamps, the brownell's tool, a hair dryer, a bench vise, boiling water, super-human strength, or anything else beyond your disassembly tool to remove the floor plate.

Keep in mind that the glock magazines do not disassemble like most other magazines on the market. I think this is one of the biggest hangups people have when they first start messing with them. The techniques you know and have used on all of your other magazines will not work well with these. They're designed differently.

Randy

Randy, you are absolutely correct!!!!!!!!
I just took apart half a dozen magazines using a long tool, and the difference is amazing. I had not realized how tightly the insert fits. I see now why you have to flip the insert.
Thanks a lot.
I think this needs to be a sticky.

RandySmith
02-23-2010, 21:22
Sure thing, glad to help.

This thread has been a sticky since 11/2004. :supergrin:

Randy

billkny
03-28-2010, 18:05
Randy, thanks for the video, it worked great on my G19 mags and the info about the floorplate was great. I tried the same thing on my 36 mags and because the baseplate is taller you can't squeeze the mag as close to the nubs and even with the floorplate flipped i had to resort to C-clamp visegrips to get it apart:crying:Any tips?

hermanden
04-07-2010, 12:03
Thanks got it.

GKC1
03-14-2011, 13:24
I have a different problem...I had absolutely no problem taking the floor plates off my G26 10 round magazines...but I cannot get them back on! I have launched springs all over the room, cursed frequently and loudly, and tried all sorts of positions, but...no matter what I try, I can't seem to keep the spring and the little internal plate together and compressed long enough to slide the floor plate back on. I am just about ready to throw these in the trash and buy some new mags!

The videos on dis-assembly are great...I've watched them...but it sure would be helpful to show the re-assembly too. I don't know why I can't do this...I've done any number of magazines for 1911s and other polymer pistols...but I simply can't seem to manage to get these Glock mags back together!

HELP!

RandySmith
03-14-2011, 14:11
Here it is, albeit a bit dated. The new followers snap straight on top of the magazine springs. No need for the 1/4 twist.

Magazine Assembly (http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/MagAssembly.mpg)

Randy

GKC1
03-14-2011, 15:36
Here it is, albeit a bit dated. The new followers snap straight on top of the magazine springs. No need for the 1/4 twist.

Magazine Assembly (http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/MagAssembly.m4v)

Randy

I couldn't get the movie to play. I'm sure it's my computer/settings...I'll ask my wife to help when she can (she's knowledgeable about technology and I am a dunce.) In the meantime, thanks for the response.

Edited to add: I'm not sure what you mean by "the new followers snap on the spring." Are you talking about the follower at the top of the magazine spring, that pushes the round upward? That does indeed snap on my spring...it's the little plate that goes on the bottom of the spring, and has the little post on it that in turn locks into the hole in the floor plate...it doesn't seem to attach in any way, and I just can't seem to keep it on top of the spring, and both depressed into the magazine long enough to slide the floor plate on...I've come so close, and then the spring flys out across the room...sigh.

RandySmith
03-14-2011, 18:42
I changed the video format to mpg, see if that works for you.

Yes, the follower is the piece of plastic at the top of the magazine spring. The "magazine insert" is the section of plastic that goes between the magazine spring and the floor plate.

Watch the video and let me know if you have any more questions. I think once you see that it will be clear.

Randy

GKC1
03-14-2011, 19:10
I changed the video format to mpg, see if that works for you.

Yes, the follower is the piece of plastic at the top of the magazine spring. The "magazine insert" is the section of plastic that goes between the magazine spring and the floor plate.

Watch the video and let me know if you have any more questions. I think once you see that it will be clear.

Randy

Yes, it played now...thank you. And that is exactly what I have been trying to do...but my mag spring is SO stout that I have a great deal of difficulty compressing it (maybe I am just a wimp, or these are brand new mags that have never been loaded...or both) and keeping the magazine insert balanced on it while trying to compress the spring, etc.

After I watched this video, I tried again...and came very close...but just when I had the floor plate sliding onto the magazine, the spring shot out of the magazine, and curse words shot out of my mouth. :steamed:

I am sure it is just me...:embarassed:

But thanks so much for the video. That makes it look easy, and at least I can take some comfort in knowing that I am trying to do it the right way...and also some embarrassment that I can't do it the right way. :crying:

RandySmith
03-14-2011, 19:42
Randy, thanks for the video, it worked great on my G19 mags and the info about the floorplate was great. I tried the same thing on my 36 mags and because the baseplate is taller you can't squeeze the mag as close to the nubs and even with the floorplate flipped i had to resort to C-clamp visegrips to get it apart:crying:Any tips?

Hello Bill,

I just noticed your question.

Even though it is said to "squeeze the sides", you really don't need to. It's all in the technique with the armorer's tool. Pull harder, it will come off.

Randy

nraman
12-23-2011, 20:29
Flipping the insert aside is the key to disassembling a magazine.

Randy

That's what got me at first. With most magazines, the insert doesn't have to be flipped. You push the nub in a bit and out it goes. Eventually I understood that the insert prevented the magazine sidewalls from squeezing and the that is why the insert has to be flipped out of the way.
Even after I figured it out, there was one mag that gave me a hard time. A G27 I think.

cciman
12-25-2011, 11:19
Not so easy with all Glock mags.

Just finished servicing G30 factory mags. Tried squeezing and even with channel locks, and floor plate flipped, I was unable to pass the notch. Using a dime and a small screwdriver blade as wedge spacers, worked consistently.

RandySmith
12-26-2011, 21:07
Not so easy with all Glock mags.

Just finished servicing G30 factory mags. Tried squeezing and even with channel locks, and floor plate flipped, I was unable to pass the notch. Using a dime and a small screwdriver blade as wedge spacers, worked consistently.

I'm glad you got them apart but really, you don't need all those extra tools. It's all in the technique. Here's a video (http://www.dt-concepts.com/mg/magdisg30.mov) with a G30 magazine.

Randy

jw38
04-29-2013, 17:27
So I've looked everywhere I can think of for a Magazine Question????? This Forum looks like a good place.
Can a 10rd Mag be modifyed to be double stack 15 rd.? (G-3 19 of course). jw38

RimShot
04-30-2013, 00:51
So I've looked everywhere I can think of for a Magazine Question????? This Forum looks like a good place.
Can a 10rd Mag be modifyed to be double stack 15 rd.? (G-3 19 of course). jw38

The Post-Ban 10rd mags couldn't be modified to my knowledge. Even the +2 extender / replacement floorplates wouldn't work.

I'd imagine Glock's just blown-off the dust from the molds used back in '94 and started stamping-out the old 10-rounders again....

DJ Niner
04-30-2013, 02:33
They've been making 10-round mags ever since the '94 AWB, as some states kept a version of the ban in-force at the state level, even after the federal ban sunsetted.

I have a handful of 10s for various size Glocks; I use them in competitions, or outside in muddy conditions when I don't want to mess-up my good full-capacity mags during a speedy slide-lock reload.

jw38
04-30-2013, 10:15
Thanks Guys. Always the best Glock information around. jw38

Black Eagle
07-09-2013, 11:17
No!

The reason 9-round magazines are not 10-round magazines is that 9 is the physical limit. You have to add a "+" base to increase the capacity of 9-round magazines.
I also had the learning curve of not pushing the floorplate in far enough. I put oem +2s on mine but as noted download any way from 9/11 to a 8 or 10 round.

Black Eagle
07-09-2013, 11:21
Can a 10rd Mag be modified to be double stack 15 rd.? (G-3 19 of course). jw38
No. There is a large metal kink running the length of the magazine body. That is why they are so hard (for me) to disassemble. Difficult to push the insert up far enough.

johnchamp
11-13-2013, 12:20
or you can buy one of these. :supergrin:http://youtu.be/XVtjBcwmWXQ

Justdave1
12-13-2014, 22:26
For what it's worth, and I'm new to Glocks, a cop with 30+ years took my new g27, stuck the armorers tool in the bottom, pressed the corner of the floor plate against a hard surface and the plate slid forward immediately and then came off with no issues. Didn't need a clamp, pliers or have to wedge the tool against the inside of the mag. Got home did the same thing to 3 more mags - all the plates came off without any issues. The new Pearce plates slipped right on and clicked into place. I suppose YMMV but it worked fine.

DJ Niner
12-13-2014, 23:03
Yes, most of them come apart rather easily, but the few that don't can contribute to colorful language being bantered about.

Heck, I broke a magazine insert plate one time; no matter how hard I pushed/wiggled it with the punch, the insert simply would not move at ALL. Finally I just leaned on the punch, and SNAP!, the insert broke in half, and I was able to disassemble the mag like normal. I never did figure out what the problem was with that insert, but it just refused to move at all.

nraman
12-14-2014, 10:42
Yes, most of them come apart rather easily, but the few that don't can contribute to colorful language being bantered about.

Heck, I broke a magazine insert plate one time; no matter how hard I pushed/wiggled it with the punch, the insert simply would not move at ALL. Finally I just leaned on the punch, and SNAP!, the insert broke in half, and I was able to disassemble the mag like normal. I never did figure out what the problem was with that insert, but it just refused to move at all.

When I insert the tool I try to get the side of the insert to lift and flip.
After that it's easy. What you describe is not normal, somehow it got stuck. Either the magazine or the insert must have had a defect. After you replaced the insert, did you try to take it apart again?

F-111 John
12-14-2014, 12:04
Heck, I broke a magazine insert plate one time; no matter how hard I pushed/wiggled it with the punch, the insert simply would not move at ALL. Finally I just leaned on the punch, and SNAP!, the insert broke in half, and I was able to disassemble the mag like normal.

I think you're supposed to unload the magazine first...:tongueout:

Justdave1
12-14-2014, 12:42
What? wait.. I thought you were supposed to throw away those "clips" after you ran out of those bullet thingys? Now I'm really confused. Anyway mine are defective because no matter how long I hold my finger down it never goes bang more than once. Been holding it for 2 days now so I'm sure it's broken or something.......

DJ Niner
12-14-2014, 23:01
When I insert the tool I try to get the side of the insert to lift and flip.
After that it's easy. What you describe is not normal, somehow it got stuck. Either the magazine or the insert must have had a defect. After you replaced the insert, did you try to take it apart again?Yes, it came apart and went back together just fine with the new insert. I didn't save the old/broken insert; kinda wish I had, now. I remember giving the pieces a good hard look before I chucked them, but didn't see anything obvious like excess mold flashing.

Justdave1
12-16-2014, 10:27
I was just given a slip on rubber thingy called GTUL magazine disassembly tool. Deceptively simple, makes popping off the bottom plate easy as pie. I'm told they sell on ebay for around $15 bucks.