Win Xp, multiple users, and Spybot S&D [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp, multiple users, and Spybot S&D

gwalchmai
11-18-2004, 09:50
A friend has his family PC running Xp Pro with user accounts for himself, his wife, and each of three kids. He is OVERRUN with spyware. I went through and ran Spybot S&D under his username, since he was the admin, and it found hundreds of instances and fixed them. The I logged on to his wife's username and it found and fixed hundreds more, and the same for each of the kids' accounts.

Is there not a way for S&D to run in some sort of superuser mode and take out all the accounts at once?

vertigo7
11-19-2004, 21:14
Uncomplicated and painless way to do it quickly: create a batch file and drag it into the startup group for each user, containing the following command:

spybotsd.exe /taskbarhide /autoupdate /autoimmunize /autocheck /autofix

This will run the program at Windows startup every time each user logs in, make it invisible so an impatient user won't shut it off before it's able to find and fix problems they've created, let it automagically update itself, make sure it's immunized against all currently detected spyware, check for problems and fix them. You can add /autoclose to that line if you want the program to shut down after it scans. I'd leave it running.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

gwalchmai
11-20-2004, 05:41
That's a great idea, V7. Thanks!