For the love of God, Help me! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For the love of God, Help me!

STANMAN
11-18-2004, 11:25
I have the following on my computer: CWshredder, Hijack this, Sbybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware SE Personal, and Stinger, and my computer is still running about 1/4 the speed it should. I have Roadrunner (cable modem) as a provider, and have 79% of my memory free (I only use my computer to surf the internet and play Diablo II), and as I type this I have to wait for the words to catch up with me. It's maddening. It never used to be this way. Oh, I also use the Goggle toolbar as a pop-up blocker. I can hardly even use my Hotmail account because it takes so long to load. I have tried recovering to a earlier date with no help. If someone can help me, it would be much appreciated.

Also, my little Microsoft icon tells me there is updates to download, so I downloaded them. I couldn't even move on the internet afterwards, so I recovered to an earlier date just so I can surf a little.

Thanks for any help guys!!

G20man32904
11-18-2004, 11:52
Not an expert, but I would do a Control+Alt+Delete then hit the processes tab and see whats running.
A good place to start anyway
good luck

STANMAN
11-18-2004, 12:10
All sorts of stuff running, but I would not know what is good, and what to stop. Besides, once I log back on, won't it just start up again?

Furant
11-18-2004, 12:40
In the Start menu, select Run...
type "msconfig" (no quotes)
On the startup tab, see if there are any programs running that shouldn't be. You should be able to go into that application's configuration settings and stop it from running at startup.

Additionally, if you look at your services, there are likely quite a few of them that you can either disable or set to only start manually.

You can look them up here (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html) or a variety of other places on the net.

That said, I would do a complete backup of your system prior to messing with services and startup configs if you don't know what you're doing.

dave5339
11-18-2004, 12:43
I just wiped my desktop drive and reformatted it on Saturday. I did a full re-install on Win XP and the stuff that I wanted. The system runs much faster and cleaner now. It's a night and day difference. You might want to look at doing that.

Semper Fi

G20man32904
11-18-2004, 12:44
Run a google search for each app thats running and you can find out.
The ones that "system", "local service", or "network service" I dont usually have to mess with. Good advice from JF though, back it up before making changes.

MikeG22
11-18-2004, 13:02
Go to majorgeeks.com. Go to the spyware tools section. Download Webroot Spysweeper and install and update it. Do a scan. It is the most thourouh one out there and has always cleaned up machines and finds all sorts of crap adaware doesn't find.

It is a subscription based one but you do get one free update which will get you cleaned up. Also, if you leave it running it protects your machine from catching more stuff. I haven't been updating mine but it's been fine.

You should also look at using mozilla Firefox for a web browser. It imports all your stuff from IE but doesn't have all the vulnerabilities that allow spyware to take hold like IE and it also has great built in pop-up blocking. It's completly free. www.mozilia.org

That should get you up and running.

11-18-2004, 13:27
How much junk do you have running? When you bring up the task manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and go to the processes tab, what the total number on the lower left corner? If its more than about 16, thats why your system is slow.

Start by cleaning up your Services; start - run - type services.msc - click OK. On the list that comes up, go through it one by one using this site : http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm . Once you've got your services cleaned up, then you can start looking at other items, like applications that aren't needed at startup.

SamBuca
11-18-2004, 17:40
With all due respect, the spyware epidemic goes beyond the capabilities of a normal home user. Take your PC to someone who knows how to fix it quick and fix it right.

unixglocker
11-19-2004, 08:07
One thing to add in the processes list, click on CPU to sort it, then you can see what is eating CPU.

MrsKitty
11-19-2004, 09:14
XP SP2 slowed my system down like that. Have you installed it? Might want to uninstall it if you have.

modgun
11-19-2004, 20:21
By chance do you have any tvs split off of the same coax line?
Splitters can cause this.
If it just started out of nowhere call your isp to double check no service issues, and have them ping you.

Perrito
11-21-2004, 05:55
When running MSCONFIG, the list of apps seems like it's in another language. Go here Greatis Startup Application Database (http://www.greatis.com/appdata/index.html) and look for the items that show up in your MSCONFIG list.

STANMAN
11-21-2004, 23:32
I took it to Best Buy and they de-bugged it for $39. The one thing they got rid of which I couldn't was a process called dvdlog.exe, which was eating up about 70% of my speed. I tried ending it numerous times, but it would just come right back (like herpes). Regardless, they got rid of it, and I am back up to speed. Anyone know what that process is, and how they may have gotten rid of it?