A Rangescor 1911 and Nearly Shooting EyeCutter, [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A Rangescor 1911 and Nearly Shooting EyeCutter,

horge
11-18-2004, 18:15
Wokay... I bought an Armscor Practical FS 2T awhile back, after an initial consideration of the GI model. I'm quite happy with the Armscor Practical, but the original lust for a GI-like 1911 never really left me. That old-school cool just tickles the heck out of me.

I wanted a GI, or at least an optional conversion to a GI.
Sooo, stingy codger that I am, I asked EyeCutter to sell me his excess Ranger GI 1911 parts left over from his Ranger STI clone project. For a ridiculously low price I got virtually everything but the frame, MSH, hammer strut pin, grips and mags.

I was particularly interested in the grip safety, slide stop, hammer, trigger, and of course the slide. All of that would go onto the Armscor frame I already had, with a fair bit of fitting. I wasn't going to mess with the Armscor frame, but force the Ranger parts into conformity

Now, EyeCutter had warned me that the early Rangers were really rough.
He wunn't laahn.

Compare the overturned slides of the early Ranger and my Armscor Practical.
http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_slides.jpg
A disconnector's business end would have had a hell of a time riding over all those milling marks. I smoothed it out with fine grit sandpaper, and then with fine steel wool --the kind that leaves superfine steel fibres all over the place (thank God for magnets).
http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_slide.jpg

I bought a new hammer strut pin from Squires Bingham for P57.00,
and then proceeded to install the Ranger parts into the frame. The Armscor pin was a loose fit for the Ranger hammer and strut, but oil and the frame itself would have to keep the little devil in place.
http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_hammerpin.jpg

Overall slide-to-frame fit wasn't.
Meaning it was impossible to get the slide on, more than an inch.
I had to open up and straighten the slide rails, and take a fair amount of metal off the lowermost 'lip' of the slide rails, straightening them especially towards the front. These early Rangers apparently had rails that are milled differently from Armscor's. Different width/depth rail grooves, and those had to be corrected. However, the various compromises in order to get the slide to cycle smoothly left gaps in upper-slide fit:
http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_slidefit.jpg
What else?
The thumb safety lug was a little too fat, and I had to file it down at the 6 to 9 o'clock portion. The slide stop lug was also relieved a bit, to allow the plunger to ride up and snap over it during reassembly. I'll get a nicer 1911 (not 1911A1) trigger, a parked mag catch, and a parked MSH some day, maybe have the slide de-logo'ed and reparked.... but so far, here it is.

http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_1911_1.jpg

http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/armscor_ranger_1911_2.jpg

It's coming along nicely, and I have to thank EyeCutter for such an inexpensive way to satisfy my need for a GI-style 1911.

Yesterday, I tested the new Amrger/Rangescor at PB Dionisio Firing Range, and found that it wouldn't extract at all .... so I have to take a hard look at the Ranger extractor. My wife had a lot of fun with our Bersa while I reassembled-disassembled (not just field stripped, heck) the Armscor into an Armger/Rangescor and back).

We ran into EyeCutter at the 'lounge'.
He got to see the reasembled Practical, and admired its grips.
I then offered to show him the Bersa grips.

Man, I could have just handed him the cold piece, but oh no...
Butthead that I was, I juuust had to show him what the wood grips looked like beside the complementary black of the magazine bottom. So I slapped in what I thought was my 'snapcap' mag.

It wasn't.

Alarmed, I tried to clear the weapon, but instead of just dropping the damned mag, somehow I reverted to
"malf-clearance mode" and racked, effectively chambering a live round.
The pipe was loaded, the safety was off, and a 3 pound single-action trigger was just a quarter-inch movement away from disaster, for about a second.
;P
All the while, my wife had been alerting me to my idiocy.
With my eyes bugged out, I ejected the mag and racked the round out, checked and double-checked that the weapon was truly empty, and then finally handed the Bersa to EyeCutter.

Even though the table we were seated at was blocking part of what I was up to, I'm pretty sure others present had perceived it and were merely too polite to give me a much-deserved yelling-at in front of my wife.

I wasn't man enough to apologize right there and then, to everyone present.
Nooooo, I had to pretend no one caught it, kidding myself that
the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction (log-panelled wall),
that my finger wasn't near the trigger, that I spotted the danger immediately, blah blah blah
Horsepoop.
You just never know what can happen next in a series of tragedy-enabling mistakes.

'Nearly Shooting EyeCutter' might be an exaggeration. Or not.
Because the bottom line remains: My weapon went hot,
and it happened in the course of trying to hand it to him.

Safety. Safety. Safety. Safety. Safety. Safety. Safety. Safety.

I need to go soak my head in Hoppes.

9MX
11-18-2004, 18:37
The wise Saruman once told me: " Never mix live with dummy ammo, bad juju!" or something to that effect

go ahead and soak your head in hoppes..but please keep the mouth closed when doing so..as it can be fatal;f

seriously, its good that everyone is safe:)

mc_oliver
11-18-2004, 20:07
Dude, lay off on the hoppes. You probably have too much already. ;f Glad to know no more serious events followed, like a vcr-shooting incident or something. ;f;c

batangueno
11-18-2004, 21:19
Nice work, i mean on the Rangescor not the boo boo. :)

kristiansen
11-18-2004, 21:38
RO: magazine out,show clear,hammer down,holster. clear the range,next shooter! big no no to put magazine when not facing the practice target board.glad everybody was safe.maybe too much excitement!;f

julianz
11-18-2004, 23:54
geez, that was a close one..glad no one was hurt.

Eye Cutter
11-19-2004, 04:26
ok lang yun, mabilis naman ako lumikod kay Edna, e!

Eye Cutter
11-19-2004, 04:32
nice fitting horge! you know what? remove the ranger logo and have it re-engraved as a Colt! Ask the smiths upstairs about the engraving.

Eye Cutter
11-19-2004, 04:42
here's a ranger/colt that was offered for sale to one of the team pb members. what gave it away was the too clean lines of the engravings. the seller admitted it was a ranger 1911 later on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eyecutter/Ranger1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eyecutter/1911A1.jpg

horge
11-19-2004, 06:37
Thanks, EyeCutter :)
Once again, my apologies.

When I finally get everything functionally reliable...
I think I'll have it engraved and black-hardchromed by PBDionisio.
Milspec-style lettering, except it'll read:

"PISTOLERONG DULING MODEL OF 1911",

On the other side,

".....PATENTED APR 20, 1897. SEPT 9, 1902 (LOGO) PBD/RANGER/ARMSCOR
DEC 19, 1905. FEB 14, 1911. AUG 19, 1913 (LOGO) BIGLANG LIKO, R.P."

Of course, instead of Colt's cheval rampant logo,
it'll have a lazy, smiling carabao

;e ;e ;e

gunfool
11-19-2004, 18:59
Originally posted by horge
Thanks, EyeCutter :)
Once again, my apologies.

When I finally get everything functionally reliable...
I think I'll have it engraved and black-hardchromed by PBDionisio.
Milspec-style lettering, except it'll read:

"PISTOLERONG DULING MODEL OF 1911",

On the other side,

".....PATENTED APR 20, 1897. SEPT 9, 1902 (LOGO) PBD/RANGER/ARMSCOR
DEC 19, 1905. FEB 14, 1911. AUG 19, 1913 (LOGO) BIGLANG LIKO, R.P."

Of course, instead of Colt's cheval rampant logo,
it'll have a lazy, smiling carabao

;e ;e ;e ;z ;z ;z

Eye Cutter
11-23-2004, 07:01
Horge:

I got the grips from Edna already. How much? Very Nice grain.

horge
11-23-2004, 07:23
Checkst thou thy PM box :)

mikol
11-23-2004, 08:28
hi horge,

any updates about your armsger/rangecor pistola? congrats btw for a job well done, not on the boo boo as batang say's but on your armsger work.;)

horge
11-24-2004, 04:41
Hi mikol,

This may be my last post on this forum for quite awhile, as my work is really getting out of hand. Hopefully I can find the time to pick up either EC's payment (or the stocks/grips) at PBD Range next week. I'll also really try to squeeze in a visit to the Gun Show and Dino's booth (WSC). Ack, I hate inheriting someone else's problems... my hair's falling out like crazy, my face is turning into zit-central, and my hands tremble too much to shoot, even if I could find the time to.
;P

Regarding the Armsger/Rangescor 1911.
It shoots well enough, but it just won't extract the spent casing.
The extractor resists tweaking, and needs outright replacement, and even if replaced, may yet sit a little higher away from the cartridge rim than it needs to. I'll hopefully find time to work on this thing again in a few months.

I could just throw the thing at the PBD smiths and let them sweat it out, but that smacks too much of yellow-belly surrender... grrrrr.

mikol
11-24-2004, 08:43
hi horge,

well...you cannot really mix work with pleasure sometimes.:( but if what you are working is the one that's brings you pleasure, then it only mains one thing, you are making kalikot of your gun's. ;f

hope your work is not really as bad as it sounds 'coz mahirap makalbo 'dre. wala kanang masusuklay pagkatapus maligo.;f ;e just consider your work like modifiying your FA and maybe you'll start to love doing it.;)

darwin25
11-25-2004, 02:54
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Dude, lay off on the hoppes. You probably have too much already. ;f Glad to know no more serious events followed, like a vcr-shooting incident or something. ;f;c

ARAY KO!!!!;f ;z

DVD na ngayon hehehe