Transfering Files to my new computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Files to my new computer

harley45
11-18-2004, 22:12
I'm getting a new home computer system and want to transfer some of the files from my old one to it. I know I could burn a cd and transfer that way but I've got several that are over 2 gigs is there a way to transfer files using a usb port or somthing?

Furant
11-18-2004, 23:06
Don't know if there's a way with USB, but if the computers have Network cards, a cheap crossover cable will let you transfer the files.

It might actually be easier to pull your harddrive out of the old computer and put it into your new computer long enough to transfer the files.

Joey

NetNinja
11-19-2004, 00:00
yep what jferrante said.

When you get your new computer do this.

Take the old Hard Drive out
Make it a slave.

Open the new computer and attach it to the spare connector on the ribbon cable that your new computers hard drive is on.
Attach power (very important)

Reboot system

Give WindowsXP some time to find the new hard drive.
After about 2 mins or so you should see the OLD hard Drive in MyComputer.

Start Transfering Files.

Transfer Favorites also, seems to be a big one that eveyone forgets to do.

metallic
11-19-2004, 00:32
Originally posted by jferrante
Don't know if there's a way with USB, but if the computers have Network cards, a cheap crossover cable will let you transfer the files.

It might actually be easier to pull your harddrive out of the old computer and put it into your new computer long enough to transfer the files.

Joey

You should check your warranty and see if putting the hard drive in the new computer will void the warranty before doing this. I'd recommend transferring the files across the network if your old computer has an ethernet card. If your old computer doesnt, then it is only $10 and 10 minutes to put one in.

greenlead
11-20-2004, 22:07
Originally posted by NetNinja
yep what jferrante said.

When you get your new computer do this.

Take the old Hard Drive out
Make it a slave.

Open the new computer and attach it to the spare connector on the ribbon cable that your new computers hard drive is on.
Attach power (very important)

Reboot system

Give WindowsXP some time to find the new hard drive.
After about 2 mins or so you should see the OLD hard Drive in MyComputer.

Start Transfering Files.

Transfer Favorites also, seems to be a big one that eveyone forgets to do.

This is what I was going to recommend. That is how we do it here. I wouldn't advise worrying too much about warranties unless it is a laptop.

Instead of relying on XP, however, I would recommend using Norton Ghost. There is no reason to use a high-level OS, for something so simple.

If you do not have Ghost, you may be able to use the MSDOS "Copy d:\*.* c:". This probably will not work, as I think that DOS is limited to smaller drives.

troyboy30
11-21-2004, 09:12
I have an 'intellimover' kit with software that I used to transfer over 40 gig of music. I'll sell it to you cheap, pm me.