How to carrry a modern lever action in the field? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to carrry a modern lever action in the field?

Quake Guy
11-20-2004, 00:23
Hello,

Got a Guide Gun recently, has the cross bolt safety typical of all Marlins made over the last 20+ years.

Anyway, do you really need to use this safety? I have heard it much maligned.

So, is hammer at half cock the traditional and perfectly safe way to carry one of these?

Thanks...

MrMurphy
11-20-2004, 11:29
Round chambered, hammer at halfcock, finger out of triggerguard. Use the safety if you want.

akbound
11-20-2004, 16:32
Hi Quake Guy,

The reason the crossbolt safeties were added was to forestall liability suits. Most accidents with lever guns happen when someone tries to manually lower the hammer on a chambered round. If people followed all the rules of safety, (ie. Never point the muzzle at something you do not intend to destroy), there wouldn't be accidents with lever action rifles.

The first "deer" rifle I used as a young man (twelve years of age) was a Marlin chambered for .32 Winchester Special, my father's rifle. He drilled into me not to point the muzzle somewhere I wasn't trying to shoot and I never had a problem. But it does require some extra caution when lowering the hammer to insure a slip doesn't result in an accidental/negligent discharge.

Dave

TexAg
11-20-2004, 21:41
I go ahead and carry with the safety on and hammer at half cock until I am out in the field, actively looking/hunting, then I take the safety off. I've found its too many actions to push the safety off and cock the hammer if you see a deer/pig/etc. and need to shoot quickly.

GRIZZLYBEAR
11-27-2004, 10:41
I many marlin lever actions to include the 450. Some have the cross bolt safety and some don't. I have never used this safety and carry these lever guns, the same way I carry the pre-cross bolt safety, Hammer on half cock.

grizz

Big_Jim
11-30-2004, 14:06
I kind of like the extra safety. I use it when I am pulling a gun up a tree stand. ( I know that your supposed to unload it, but who really does that? I do with guns that only have one safety) I also like it when I'm walking down a trail that might get slippery or when I take the gun in the camper. Once I'm set up in my blind or still hunting its safety off and hammer at half-cock.

My favorite hunting rifle is a Marlin 336D, a limited edition "guide gun" series in 35remington.

akbound
11-30-2004, 14:50
Originally posted by Big_Jim
I kind of like the extra safety. I use it when I am pulling a gun up a tree stand. ( I know that your supposed to unload it, but who really does that? I do with guns that only have one safety) I also like it when I'm walking down a trail that might get slippery or when I take the gun in the camper. Once I'm set up in my blind or still hunting its safety off and hammer at half-cock.

My favorite hunting rifle is a Marlin 336D, a limited edition "guide gun" series in 35remington.
Hi Big_Jim,

I don't unload the entire rifle, but I do unload the chamber. I just get the heebie-jeebie's hauling that rifle up with one in the spout!

Dave

mpol777
11-30-2004, 15:26
I installed this (http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm) on my 1894 and 336. I don't know if it works for the 1895, but I guess it would be the same. Doesn't change the function of the rifle at all. Half-cocked worked for 100 years or so. I don't see any reason to change.

Quake Guy
11-30-2004, 23:53
How do you unload the chamber and keep the other rounds still in the magazine?

akbound
12-01-2004, 09:24
Originally posted by Quake Guy
How do you unload the chamber and keep the other rounds still in the magazine?
Work the lever ejecting the round and don't close the lever again until the rifle is back in your hands. (Just leave the action open.) Even if the round on the carrier were to come out of the rifle (some rifles it will and some it won't) you just dump it into your hand as well. When you get the rifle back into your hands you'd then close the action, work it one more time to actually load the chamber (if the round on the carrier also came out of the rifle), safely lower the hammer to the half-cocked notch, and reload the magazine.

Actually takes much less time to do it than it does to describe doing it! :)

Dave

shrpshtr
12-07-2004, 08:44
Originally posted by Big_Jim
I kind of like the extra safety. I use it when I am pulling a gun up a tree stand. ( I know that your supposed to unload it, but who really does that? I....

i do, religously! just the chamber, like akbound. with any of my long guns, i NEVER have a round in the chamber until i am ready to shoot!