Foxfire tabs question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Foxfire tabs question

KGNine
11-20-2004, 13:04
I have been running foxfire for a little while now and it has been working great. Something that I would like for it to do but have not figure out. When I click on a link (like in Glocktalk) it will open a new window. Is there any way to have it just open a new tab? I have been through the advanced options in the tool menu but have not found a setting that would do this. I have also looked for a extension but no luck. It's not a big deal but would be nice.

lomfs24
11-20-2004, 14:32
From what I understand about html, coding and links it is not possible on Glocktalk. Part of the coding in the link at Glocktalk is to open an new window. Your browswer, firefox, does that the coding on the link asks and opens a new window. I have not found a way around this. If anyone has any ideas I would be happy to know.

There is a setting in the advanced section that allows you to make links clicked from other applications, like Thunderbird, to be opened in new tabs in the most current window. That's the best I could come up with.

hapuna
11-20-2004, 15:36
Did you try the "open browser in other applications" in the Advanced Options and picked "in a tab in the present window"?
That would appear to do what you want. I haven't tried it but I think it will work.:)

NetNinja
11-20-2004, 15:47
hold the Ctrl key down. Click on link.

Dandapani
11-20-2004, 16:21
I just use the "middle" button to click on a link and it opens on new tab instead of a new window. On my mouse with wheel, the wheel is the button. Push it instead of rolling it.

DragonRider
11-20-2004, 18:40
^6 What he said. I routinely open all the topics I wish to see and then read through them. All Middle Mouse Button.

John

Eyespy
11-20-2004, 19:24
Right click on the link, and select "Open link in new tab" from the list.

greenlead
11-20-2004, 22:24
Originally posted by Eyespy
Right click on the link, and select "Open link in new tab" from the list.
That's what I was going to say. It is sad that it took that many posts for someone to say something so simple.

AZMAN
11-20-2004, 22:36
Tabbrowser Preferences
by Bradley Chapman
Version: 1.0.0
File Size: 36 KB
Updated: 2004-11-17

This extension adds GUI options to change some of the hidden tab browser preferences available in Firefox. It also enables "single window mode" by opening links in a new tab instead of a new window.

Compatible with versions from 1.0

KGNine
11-21-2004, 18:20
Thanks for all of the responses,the middle button thing works good enough for me. I did not know that it would do that.

Deathwind
11-21-2004, 19:35
If you're using 1.0, you can force this as the default behavior: Open up about:config in your address bar, set browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true, and you'll have this available under your advanced preferences:

http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/releases/tab-options-links.png

lomfs24
11-21-2004, 23:50
Originally posted by Deathwind
If you're using 1.0, you can force this as the default behavior: Open up about:config in your address bar, set browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true, and you'll have this available under your advanced preferences:

You lost me there. What is this? Open up about:config

-edit-- never mind, I figured it out.

lomfs24
11-21-2004, 23:53
Originally posted by Deathwind

works like a charm. :) :) :)

THANK YOU!!!

proguncali
11-22-2004, 01:21
There's an extention called single window...

BikerGoddess
11-22-2004, 11:09
Tools - Options - Advanced - Tabbed Browsing

Laura

hapuna
11-22-2004, 13:04
Originally posted by lomfs24
works like a charm. :) :) :)

THANK YOU!!!

Good then you can explain to me how he got to that selection please

Deathwind
11-22-2004, 15:58
Open about:config (no space in front of the :, GT was inserting one for some reason) just like it were a normal website (like you were going to glocktalk.com, instead type about:config). Then find the preference I mentioned (you can type "singlewindow" in the filter that the page has), click it so it shows up as "true", then do Edit->Preferences->Advanced, and it should be there (you might have to quit Firefox and start it again after changing the thing in about:config before it shows up, I can't remember).

hapuna
11-22-2004, 18:31
Could you please just take and copy the link into a reply for me??? I have tried every "about:config" syntax I could think of and never get where you are talking about. Arigato.:)

lomfs24
11-22-2004, 20:35
about:config

You type that into the address bar instead of http://www.gohere.com

For some reason GT is putting a space between about and the colon. Don't put the space in. simply type about:config

He did say that it had to be firefox 1.0 though. Did you check your version?

KGNine
11-23-2004, 09:06
Deathwind:
That is way cool. Thanks for the tip

hapuna
11-23-2004, 13:52
Originally posted by lomfs24
about:config

You type that into the address bar instead of http://www.gohere.com

For some reason GT is putting a space between about and the colon. Don't put the space in. simply type about:config

He did say that it had to be firefox 1.0 though. Did you check your version?

OK here is what I typed in: http://www.about:config.com
No spaces and it takes me to About. That doesn't seem to be where I was supposed to end up. Whats the problem???
There are no spaces in the url. I am on FF 1.0:)

hapuna
11-23-2004, 14:06
OK I got it....only type in "about.config" nothing else!!!:)

lomfs24
11-23-2004, 23:03
ding ding ding -- WE HAVE A WINNER!!! --- ding ding ding

;f ;f ;f

Sorry.