Killed a 10 pointer today..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Killed a 10 pointer today.....

leeinmemphis
11-20-2004, 18:29
Hey everyone,

Well this morning I didn't think I'ld see anything. I had a couple of hounds running around me most of the morning howling all morning. Apparently they got lost from the coon hunters they belonged to. Well they came out finally about 8:15 and I almost shot them for ruining my morning but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So they continued through the woods around to an area that backs up to our new pond and they started barking again. I immediately started to get irritated saying to myself how I should have killed both those hounds. Well the jumped this guy into the field I was sitting on and he got to within 40 yards and I stopped him by calling to him. He stopped and I only had a split second to decide so I went on ahead and shot. He ran about 20 yards and stopped right next to the edge of the woods. I was worried he was going to try to run some so I went on ahead and put another bullet in him. He only went about 10 yards in to the woods. He is a main frame 10 point with one small kicker. TWRA was at the check station and they said that he is a 2-1/2 year old deer(not sure I believe that) and I'ld estimate his weight in the 160-170lb range.

I went ahead and had the processor to cape him out but I'm still undecided on whether or not to have him mounted......any opinions?

-lee-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/leeinmemphis/10pt3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/leeinmemphis/10pt2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/leeinmemphis/10pt1.jpg

Short Cut
11-20-2004, 18:34
Very, very nice, Lee! Looks older than 2.5 years to me too. Ironic the way things played out with the dogs. Thanks for posting the photos.

allhowl
11-20-2004, 19:40
Thats a real good one for sure. I'd want to have him mounted if I took him.

Alchemy
11-20-2004, 19:41
Nice deer, congrats. I've always been interested as too
why a deer is considered a 10 pointer out east, when we
in the west only count one side plus the other?. AKA
out west a buck with 4 points on one side & 5 on the
other would be considered a 4X5. I'm just curious is
all.

TexAg
11-20-2004, 20:37
Nice buck! Thats a heck of a 2.5 year old! Those older deer must be MONSTERS! lol

Craigster
11-20-2004, 23:38
1.. Very nice, and a great story. 2 1/2 years is possible with good feed. There are other factors but Iv found older deer in lean feed years may not grow an impressive rack but will maintain a large base and young healthy deer (older than one year) in very good years can grow surprising racks but lack bulk at the base. Elk are even more extreme.

2.. That is a 5 point or 5X5. You guys on the other side shoot so few deer that you need to double the point count? BUT no matter how you count thats twice what Iv seen so far.

3.. I have gone to skull mounts. Do it yourself, minimum cost, easy to keep clean, no worry of mites, I like them much better and so does the wife.

4.. Nice cart. Which hole did you get him on?

Again......Good job and VERY nice deer.

scrilla
11-21-2004, 01:49
Wow nice buck man!!! Good job. What caliber rifle were you using?

buckfever34
11-21-2004, 18:11
Very nice buck and thanks for the pictures. However, I have a problem...As a young coon (and deer) hunter myself (family tradition) I cannot believe you would even consider killing the hounds that came in on you.

Hounds cannot read "no hunting" or "private property" signs. Please, do not get me wrong, I understand your frustration. The same scenario has happened to me before.

I also believe it was unresponsible on the dog owner's part, but I was very pleased you didn't kill the dogs. In the past, we have had dogs tree on private property late at night and we had to let them go until the next morning when we could ask the landowner for permsssion.

In the end, you probably ended up killing a nice buck you would have never even seen.

stk10767
11-24-2004, 12:53
It's very possible that is a 2 1/2 year old deer. The only way to tell is to look at the teeth and the length of the snout. From what I can tell it's a 2.5 year old with great genes and food available.