my gemsbok hunt...one-year later [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my gemsbok hunt...one-year later

skfullgun
11-21-2004, 22:01
It was one year ago tomorrow that I took a very nice gemsbok on the Mason Mountain Wildlife Management Area (Texas). Me and a hunting partner were drawn from countless entries for a 4-day guided hunt. I will never, ever have another hunt like this one. I took this specimen at a little over 100 yards, shooting from homemade shooting sticks, with a 7mm Rem Mag with Federal Premium ammo. The bullet struck just behind the right shoulder and exited on the left side between the second and third rib. She (yes, the hunt was limited to cull females, preferably older and barren) ran about 100 yards in the opposite direction and fell in the bottom of a rocky draw. The meat was absolutely delicious. I processed it myself (about 180 lbs. of boneless meat!). I made a European mount from the skull. What a hunt! It was different having a dedicated guide and being pampered with good food and a wonderful cabin in which to stay.

skfullgun
11-21-2004, 22:10
Just for reference, I'm 6'6" and weigh about 265 lbs. That makes that one big animal!

lomfs24
11-22-2004, 00:16
That is a good sized animal for sure. Can you post a pic of he european mount of the skull?

skfullgun
11-23-2004, 21:33
I'll try to post a pic of it. I probably should have done a shoulder mount, but between the 8' ceilings in my house and the $1200 for the mount it was not practical.

lomfs24
11-23-2004, 23:09
Originally posted by skfullen
I'll try to post a pic of it. I probably should have done a shoulder mount, but between the 8' ceilings in my house and the $1200 for the mount it was not practical.

That is the same reason why I didn't mount my very large elk that I got a couple years ago.