5 Hunters Shot Dead Over Treestand- WISCONSIN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 5 Hunters Shot Dead Over Treestand- WISCONSIN

Glocker74
11-21-2004, 22:08
;P

HAYWARD, Wis. A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three injured, officials said.

The alleged gunman, a man from the Twin Cities (search) area, was arrested Sunday afternoon at the line between Rusk and Sawyer counties, according to Sawyer County sheriff's officials.

The violence began shortly after a hunting party saw a hunter occupying their tree stand, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle told KSTP-TV of St. Paul (search), Minn. A confrontation and shooting followed.

One of the shooting victims radioed back to the deer shack (search) for help, he said. When more hunters came to the scene, they also were shot, Zeigle said.

The shootings happened in the town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County, County Sheriff James Meier said in a news release. Three people were taken to a local hospital, Meier said.

The three wounded were taken to hospitals in Marshfield and Rice Lake, where officials said one was in critical condition, one was serious and one was fair.

Wisconsin's deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters.

After they got word of a shooting, it took him and others about three hours to round up the rest of their party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

The incident won't stop their hunt, Wagner said.

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds."

;g

Delta-9
11-21-2004, 22:19

speechless

scrilla
11-22-2004, 02:47
Originally posted by Delta-9

speechless

My thoughts exactly. I just came across this story and I am absolutly shocked. People are crazy nowdays. There are really no words to describe what happened. I just feel sorry for the hunter's families. This sucks.

Dogbite
11-22-2004, 04:27
Insane.That is why you should watch yourself while in the woods,you never know who is out there with you..

raindog
11-22-2004, 07:21
I'm glad I'm not the only person who is just left bewildered by this.

JohnCT
11-22-2004, 07:48
Some additional info from:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=1&u=/ap/hunters_shot

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

Really makes you wonder what made him go down this route.......

buckfever34
11-22-2004, 07:59
This is just a sad, sad, situation. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families.

This is the exact reason why I have been trying to get our Indiana game law changed which makes it illegal to possess a firearm while bowhunting. In my opinion, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you should be allowed to carry your pistol with you into the woods.

What are the laws regarding this in other states?

Buckfever34

onemilmhz
11-22-2004, 09:01
This is very sobering as we recently had a dispute with some hunters leasing the land ajacent to ours. Some dirtbags from Atlanta who come shoot up the woods near us on weekends cut down our foot bridge that crosses a creek ON OUR PROPERTY. They say they were given a plat which incorrectly showed the creek as the property line. Bear in mind that they are LEASING this land for the hunting season and never even asked the landowner if he knew about the bridge or attempted to determine if it was in place with his agreement. They simply took it upon themselves to remove the bridge. When we confronted them about it they gave us the number to the land owners attorney who we promptly contacted. Long story short, they will be repairing the bridge but not once did any of them apologize or even accept responsibilty, all the while acting in a very threatening manner towards the 79 year old gentleman who's land we hunt on. One 20 something y/o scumbag even inquired if he needed to be in the woods by himself, suggesting that something might happen to him and no one would know. These are disturbing times we live in folks.

Delta-9
11-22-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by buckfever34
In my opinion, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you should be allowed to carry your pistol with you into the woods.

Luckily in PA, I believe its legal:

See this document Sec 2325 (a.1) (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=478&QUESTION_ID=151084)

It then references this document (http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6109.html).

It sucks that you would have to break the law to use you CCW while bow hunting, but I would be willing to bet there are many people that do it. As long as you keep the weapon concealed after you leave your home and your game warden doesn't pat you down, you'd be clear. But not exactly the reason I would want to visit Bubba, either.

If you did have to defend yourself from an armed person in the woods, you would be answering to the Police before the game commission and if the police found you to be defending yourself from grave bodily injury, its logical to think your lawyer could also get the game commission to drop the charges. At that point, I would be happy to be alive and the Game Commission's charges wouldn't concern me too much.

Glocker74
11-22-2004, 11:26
In Oregon, bowhunters can now carry. Just passed last year, I believe. The main reason was the number of cougars following or attacking hunters.

What is it about being in the woods that makes some guys think they can do anything and get away with it? This freak sure won't be able to enjoy any more hunting seasons...

I don't know what nationality the shooter is, but in northern California there was a section of coast that was a "dead zone". Hmong refugees went out in hunting season with their SKS/AK's and shot anything that moved, little birds and up. And ate it all...

noway
11-22-2004, 11:41
This plays into the hands of the antis that classified us ALL as a bunch of idiots, stupid rednecks with guns that want to kill things.

Hearing stuff like this make me want to buy 400plus acres and hunt on private own land.

hapuna
11-22-2004, 11:58
Originally posted by noway
This plays into the hands of the antis that classified us ALL as a bunch of idiots, stupid rednecks with guns that want to kill things.

Hearing stuff like this make me want to buy 400plus acres and hunt on private own land.

Excellent point...this undoes all the work that is done to make ccw acceptable cause people will be convinced that gun owners are nuts!!!;Q

RonC
11-22-2004, 12:04
The 'antis' apparently know what they are talking about. Wisconsin is a 'blue' state, isn't it.

Riverweasel
11-22-2004, 12:29
This is the exact reason why I have been trying to get our Indiana game law changed which makes it illegal to possess a firearm while bowhunting. In my opinion, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you should be allowed to carry your pistol with you into the woods.

This was just changed in Michigan. You can now CCW while bow hunting as long as there is no attempt to take game with it. (you cant dispatch a wounded deer either).

waterfowl is federally regulated "only one firearm in possession".

I hope they make an example of this guy so all the idiot tresspassers
will think twice. I'm sure all the legitimate hunters are already thinking twice about how to deal with tresspassers. Me, I would probably call the DNR or State Police and not confront the tresspasser...Unitl I press charges.

buckfever34
11-22-2004, 12:44
I have been trying to talk to people to express my opinions on the Concealed Carry subject. I do this for two reasons, coyotes and idiots.

I once had a pack of coyotes come in on me while sitting on the ground bowhunting. I was pretty scared because they were very reluctant to scare off. 1 or 2 coyotes are pretty shy, but 6 of them think they can take over the world.

The main reason is idiots, I had a guy that met me at my vehicle when I walked out of a section of woods that was owned by a neighbor. I had obtained written permission before going onto his property, but his neighbor (which also hunted there) did not like me hunting in what he called "HIS SPOT." He approached me with a pump shotgun, never aimed it at me or nothing but why the hell did he have it?

Buckfever34

noway
11-22-2004, 12:52
yeah hunters and non-hunters do some strange things around "lets get a deer weeks". My dad was telling me about a neighbor that had some let in central TX and was out hunting on HIS property and he was glassing 2-3 deers about 100yrds from the road way. At that time, a truck pass by slowed down and backup. 2 hunters jumped out with rifle and procceed to cross fence and stalk the deer. He let the hunters get within 60 yrds from the road and dishcarge 2 shots to scare off the hunters and of course deer.

he them called the SO dept, they wheren't too happy with is tactics but they did find the truck and issue warning to them ( hunters ) for crossing private property.

Skyhook
11-22-2004, 13:19
I am in no way surprised criminal behavior occurs in wooded terrain. Criminal behavior is evidenced in churches, for crying out loud. Criminals are just that- criminals, and they do what criminals do.
I'll bet this shootist has some priors--- anybody want to bet?

Rusty Shackleford
11-22-2004, 13:42
Of course he has priors... Reading the police reports around here from the Ocala National Forest about 9 out of 10 firearms violations are simple possession by a convicted felon. (usually stupid enough to be poaching with the firearm they're not supposed to have in the first place)

lomfs24
11-22-2004, 17:38
This is just a sad, sad, situation. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families.

Buckfever34

In Montana you can carry a firearm anytime, pretty much anywhere. The exception is that you cannot carry a gun conceal , in part or in whole, by clothing while inside city limits, federal or state buildings, banks, rooms that serve alcohol, trains and logging/mining camps. You can conceal a weapon if you have a permit with the exceptions of state and federal buildings, banks and places that serve alcohol. So you can carry concealed or not legally while bowhunting.

rhikdavis
11-22-2004, 17:53
, He approached me with a pump shotgun, never aimed it at me or nothing but why the hell did he have it?

Buckfever34

If you are going into the woods to confront a allegedly trespassing hunter, dont' forget the pump shotgun.

allhowl
11-22-2004, 19:14
The SKS (I have one also)is deadly even though its a cheap auto, out to 150 yds. even with the iron sights. This guy had a scope on his. I'd rather have a rifle for distances past 45 yds. At least in Okla. you can hunt in bowseason (if you have a CC permit) & I always carry.

The killer chased some of the hunters down and they didn't even have
anyting to protect themselfe with. Wish they would have each been armed & not wearing hunter orange. Things might have been different.

Hunterjbb
11-22-2004, 19:39
that he was a naturalized citizen and loved to hunt, the anti's are going to have a field day with this.. AND he was HMONG activist, evidently there seems to be some strife in that neck of the woods between the Hmong residents and the other inhabitants of the area..

Also Said in the article that i just read that he took the scope off the rifle? who knows for sure.. They said none of the folks coming to the rescue brought weapons, they left them at the cabin..

Anyway you cut it, this will be a Huge boost to the anti hunters/anti gun folks..

How can you express your feelings in a situation like this, to me it's almost incomprehensible..

And Rusty it didn't mention whether or not he had any prior police issue's, although time will tell i'm sure if he did it will come out.

My prayers go out to the families of the ones slain..

Jeff.

vafish
11-22-2004, 19:53
Originally posted by Hunterjbb

And Rusty it didn't mention whether or not he had any prior police issue's, although time will tell i'm sure if he did it will come out.

My prayers go out to the families of the ones slain..

Jeff.

Article I read said that he had prior police activity for domestic violence including threatening his wife with a firearm, but she refused to cooperate with prosecutors.

http://northernvirginia.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D86H8RVO0

f1b32oPTic
11-22-2004, 22:27
well i have to say that after reading this thread at all the other hunting forums that i am so impressed that glocktalks thread did not contain any racial remarks. that says alot about the people here

even the archery forum i visit was already crapped up with a bunch of racist sentiment.

the reason i say this is one of my best hunting buddies is japanese and he is a damn fine sportsman and friend.

kudos to us for not being idiots and realizing that all races have their bad apples.

oh and also you should have seen all the sks hate going on at the archery forum. alot of them came across as anti gun pinkos that had no idea that what they were talking about. lwt me try to find a link

freakshow10mm
11-23-2004, 00:55
Originally posted by RonC
The 'antis' apparently know what they are talking about. Wisconsin is a 'blue' state, isn't it.

Unfortunately, in the past few years, yes. Wisconsin is a mixed state. Basically we have conservative values mixed in with manufacturing and therefore labor unions as a major economic impact so they tend to vote Democrat for the US stuff and usually 50-50 to a little more Republican in the state level. I say "they" because I vote Republican straight ballot anytime everytime, unless there is only one candidate for a local election and it is a Democrat, then I vote for Mickey Mouse or Tweetie Bird. I would love to see the look on their faces when they see that write-in!

Skyhook
11-23-2004, 04:41
".. AND he was HMONG activist, evidently there seems to be some strife in that neck of the woods between the Hmong residents and the other inhabitants of the area.."

I have friends in MN where there is a rather large population of Hmong and there are some serious issues.

Big Time
11-23-2004, 06:06
And now a 6th hunter has just died from gunshot wounds.

RonC
11-23-2004, 07:55
Thanks freakshow10mm for the clarification.

My comment was meant as tongue-in-cheek. Some of us are very sensitive to the comment made by the wife of our soon-to-be-unemployed junior senator, that there would be no rioting in the streets if Kerry were elected, implying the opposite if W were elected.

The implication to me is those type people assume all hunters with guns are dangerous to each other because they, themselves, would be if they had a gun. In other words, they are imputing their own motives and feelings and actions to everyone else.

Delta-9
11-23-2004, 08:50
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
well i have to say that after reading this thread at all the other hunting forums that i am so impressed that glocktalks thread did not contain any racial remarks. that says alot about the people here

This makes me interested in what kind of remarks and discussions went on around here during the DC/VA shootings.

I wasn't a regular to this forum then.

vafish
11-23-2004, 13:12
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
, then I vote for Mickey Mouse or Tweetie Bird. I would love to see the look on their faces when they see that write-in!

Not to HiJack the thread, but my Republican congressman hasn't been very 2A friendly lately. I couldn't bring myself to vote for his democratic challenger, so I wrote in Mickey Mouse this year.

Six2Life
11-23-2004, 13:43
I am familiar with the area of Northern CA that gets hunted/poached extensively by certain asian immigrant groups. My cousin and some of his friends were up in the National Forest that is a popular local public hunting spot. They came upon a group of 5 or 6 Hmong that had just shot a doe. They told my cousin's group that if thay said anything they would shoot them. Of course my cousin's group said "sure thing" and hauled ass outta there. More than likely it was just an idle threat but still it helps illustrate how much respect they have for our laws and other people. Sterotypes don't just form out of the blue. Only an idiot doesn't learn from the mistakes/experiences of themself and others.

duncan
11-26-2004, 17:03

Buckfever34

Bad story for all hunters!

CCW fine in WA state with permit. Rifle and CCW gun always.

SLing438
11-27-2004, 07:46
This guy is not a true hunter. A true hunter respects the game laws, private property & is courteous to his fellow hunters. This guy is an abomination & I'm hoping that Wisconsin has the death penalty for this idiot.

Having said that, one of my fears is that this will turn into a backlash against Asian-Americans (I'm half Chinese). I'm going out Monday for the start of our gun season (on private land). I just hope that most guys realize that we are mostly law abiding citizens who would never think of shooting another human except in TRUE self defense.