shock buff for glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shock buff for glock

cebuboy
11-22-2004, 06:04
hi guys, this sounds like a stupid question but im curiuos. any glocker out there with experience with them shock buffers? i know some 1911s like them:)

Alexii
11-22-2004, 06:46
I may be wrong, but installing shock buffs on your Glock prevents you from releasing the slide from slidelock via the slingshot (or overhand) technique since there'll be no more slack to move the slide farther back. It'll make you wholly dependent on releasing the slide via the "slide release".

My advice is to forgo this part and buy dummy rounds instead to protect the gun's breechface.

My .02 peso worth.

9MX
11-22-2004, 08:28
right on;)

mc_oliver
11-22-2004, 20:42
No need. The whole frame is already a shock buffer. ;)

Besides, you can break the recoil tab in the slide if the recoil spring isn't trimmed right with the buff.

jerrytrini
11-22-2004, 21:40
Don't use "Shok Buffs". I tried to use these supposedly frame saver gadgets but my G17 won't even cycle. I highly recommend the use of captured tungsten recoil spring/guide.

cebuboy
11-23-2004, 06:04
thanks for the info guys, im just curious about them. they seem to work well on the 1911 though:) btw, what part of the frame does the slide impact against in the glock?

9MX
11-23-2004, 08:09
Originally posted by cebuboy
thanks for the info guys, im just curious about them. they seem to work well on the 1911 though:) btw, what part of the frame does the slide impact against in the glock?

if i'm not mistaken, only the slide rails

FAlvar
11-23-2004, 22:41
Igan, they work so well in 1911s, so transparent, that I don't even know what they do!

Shok Buff: Example of marketing genius. Invent a problem, and sell the solution! Thanks to Shok Buff, there were no reports of 1911 frames cracking due to battering since... well, since 1911! ;)

cebuboy
11-24-2004, 03:58
Originally posted by 9MX
if i'm not mistaken, only the slide rails

ahh... i also thought of the same, i hear a metal to metal thud when the slide is racked back, will have to check it clearly:)

Saruman
11-24-2004, 10:51
right on! ;f perfection;f

mc_oliver
11-24-2004, 18:36
Originally posted by cebuboy
ahh... i also thought of the same, i hear a metal to metal thud when the slide is racked back, will have to check it clearly:)
IIRC, the new frames have that metal part in front of the front rails protruding out of the plastic (sa mey rail-dustcover junction). That's the metal to metal "thunk" you hear. However, I can't remember exactly which part sa slide actually stops rearward movement. But defitintely it's not the fully-compressed recoil spring. Anyone care to post a pic of the underside of a glock slide?

cebuboy
11-25-2004, 04:46
Originally posted by mc_oliver
IIRC, the new frames have that metal part in front of the front rails protruding out of the plastic (sa mey rail-dustcover junction). That's the metal to metal "thunk" you hear. However, I can't remember exactly which part sa slide actually stops rearward movement. But defitintely it's not the fully-compressed recoil spring. Anyone care to post a pic of the underside of a glock slide?

hi mc_o,

youre right, after closer inspection i found out that there is metal inside the the plastic part just infront of the front frame rails. which will contact with the circular part of the slide where the recoil spring rests. at first the steel insert inside the polymer is not visible. so i thought that the steel slide hits polymer frame thereby negating the need for a shock buffer. i just recently noticed that there is a metal thud when cycling the slide so i got curious what hits what. its just after firing the gun that the polymer covering the steel insert got peened away thereby exposing the steel insert underneath it.