Broslow Bag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Broslow Bag

obxprnstar
11-22-2004, 20:06
I will make it my mission to post reqests for info here.... ALOT.

Ok so after several bad pedi calls our EMS administration has decided that purchasing and stocking Broslow bags might be a prudent idea. I've been tasked with getting some budget quotes and info. I've looked at a couple websites, but would be interested in any info and links that anybody can offer along with any tips or stories. If for whatever reason you do not want to post here feel fre to e-mail me.

Respectfully

The OBX PRN Star

DaleGribble
11-23-2004, 09:52
We have a dedicated pedi-bag, and I think it's a good idea. When we know we have a pedi call we grab that bag and we're set.

It's compartmentalized also which makes it easy if you have several hands working on one kid. One person can grab the ET stuff, another person can grab the IV stuff, somebody else can get the BVM, etc... That way your not wasting time digging through everything and having to pass the bag around and around while you hunt for what you need. You just grab whatever you need and get workin.

medic0079
11-24-2004, 16:12
we use a ped bag that is color coded with the different, sizes the color on the broslow tape matches up with a same colored compartment that includes pre-sized et tubes iv sizes, suction caths, io needles, etc... match the color with the kid, and u got everything you need, right size right dose, it eliminates the guesswork.

N2DFire
11-25-2004, 17:17
Not being one to split hairs - you need to decide up front if you want a "Broslow Bag" or a "Pedi Bag".

By that I mean, if memory serves correctly (and it may not), that I seem to recall that there are only 1 or 2 Distributors of the true broslow tape based kits (Licensing related issues). Almost every kit uses the same color code but I see a lot using their own "Pedi Wheel" or some other device.

I bring this up only because buying a kit with the broslow name on it is only going to drive up the price not the quality.

Other than that - happy hunting.

obxprnstar
11-28-2004, 23:47
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Anyone know the vendor that they got theirs from?

TerraMedicX
11-29-2004, 15:59
I actually think the key to this question is the actual Broslow TAPE. The lenght based pediatric treatment guides are amazing! The Children's Hospital here in Denver has the tapes in all of their trauma rooms. Even if you don't get the entire Broslow kit I feel the Broslow type tapes are a wonderful tool and the length based guide is FAR more accurate then other quick to use methods of determining equipment size and drug doses. If I was going to equip an emergency kit I would definately go for a Broslow type tape, but probably not the color coded kit.

Nate.

obxprnstar
11-29-2004, 21:41
We currently have the Broslow tapes on all of our trucks, but are looking for somthing to help orginize our limited amount of pedi equipment, and hopefully enhance our level of service to pedi patients. While we have pedi size et tubes, IO, BVM, and c-collars, they are all jumbeled in with adult equipment. The hope is to be able to expand the quantity of equipment for the little tyke, and be able to deliver care rapidly. With our current level of orginization of pedi equipment thinks are .... not as they should.

N2DFire
11-30-2004, 08:30
Originally posted by obxprnstar
We currently have the Broslow tapes on all of our trucks, but are looking for somthing to help orginize our limited amount of pedi equipment, and hopefully enhance our level of service to pedi patients. While we have pedi size et tubes, IO, BVM, and c-collars, they are all jumbeled in with adult equipment. The hope is to be able to expand the quantity of equipment for the little tyke, and be able to deliver care rapidly. With our current level of orginization of pedi equipment thinks are .... not as they should.

We are in pretty much the same boat. Right now we have an Airway bag that carries EVERYTHING !!
O2 Tank
Adult, Pedi, & Neo BVM
Laryngascope & all blades
Adult ET Tubes in 1 pouch
Pedi ET Tubes in 1 pouch
EDD (Bulb Type)
10cc Syringes, KY, Forceps
Spare Batteries & Bulbes for the 'scopes (Just in case)
Adult & Pedi NRB's
Adult & Pedi NC's
OPA's
NPA's

Right now we're looking to "compartmentalize" everything.
What I'm looking at for us is to create a lot of smaller Bags/Rolls and you only pull what you need. I'm working on a list of Bags & contents to go over w/ our other Medic tonight. Once we decide on something I'll get back with you & we can swap ideas.

obxprnstar
11-30-2004, 08:52
Originally posted by N2DFire
We are in pretty much the same boat. Right now we have an Airway bag that carries EVERYTHING !!
O2 Tank
Adult, Pedi, & Neo BVM
Laryngascope & all blades
Adult ET Tubes in 1 pouch
Pedi ET Tubes in 1 pouch
EDD (Bulb Type)
10cc Syringes, KY, Forceps
Spare Batteries & Bulbes for the 'scopes (Just in case)
Adult & Pedi NRB's
Adult & Pedi NC's
OPA's
NPA's

Christ Allmighty N2D, I almost think we work for the same agency. In addition to the lenghty list above we also cary

Adult Cric Kit
Adult Nedle Decomp Kit
Hand held Neb
Adult Neb Mask
Pedi Neb Mask
Albuterol
Bulb Syringe
Amonia Inhalents
One pair S-XL gloves
Two P-nintey whatever masks

And that is just in the airway bag.
Of course working on the beach we have everything duplicated in our bags as we are somtimes several minutes and on rare occasions miles away from our ambulance.

Apparently the potential idea w/ the broslow bag is, you find out it is a pedi call and you leave the current trauma bag (will then be re-named adult bad) in the truck and just bring in the broslow bag.

I worked Hurricaine releif out in Edgecomb Co NC after Floyd in 99. The carried in this one bag with bp cuff, steth, one iv setup, glucomoter, and basic bandaging sup. I was just amazed.