norinco 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : norinco 1911

cebuboy
11-23-2004, 07:06
hi guys, just got a 1911, i settled for a norinco as this is my first 1911:) i have some questions regarding tuning her up;f

1. are there any grips that add volume to the back part? i find the grips too small for my tastes.

2. any info regarding them bake on epoxy paints? the gun is blued. and i dont think it will resist rust like a glock:)

3. the stock sights have to go, any suggestions here?

4. i think the trigger is short, what do you guys think is a good replacement?

5. any suggestions as to what else to tinker?

6. can the hole(grip bushing?) where you screw on the grip screw be replaced?

cebuboy
11-23-2004, 07:09
heres picture of the gun:)

Alexii
11-23-2004, 07:45
1) Ajax or Hogue Grips-- Twin Pines Galleria

2) Have it black chromed: PB Range

3) Depends if you want to preserve the GI concept. If you do, try King's Tappan sights. If not, go with Novak's.

4) Wilson's or King's: Stronghand or Twin Pines

5) Just shoot it first literally bathing in Mobil 1. Things to change will become self-evident...eventually.

6) Norinco's grip bushings are the only things not standard in a 1911 (they use a different metric measure on the threads). If standard grip screws fit, why change it?

Good luck. I, too, am torn between Colt NRM and the Nork.:)

cebuboy
11-23-2004, 07:57
Originally posted by Alexii

2) Have it black chromed: PB Range

5) Just shoot it first literally bathing in Mobil 1. Things to change will become self-evident...eventually.

6) Norinco's grip bushings are the only things not standard in a 1911 (they use a different metric measure on the threads). If standard grip screws fit, why change it?

Good luck. I, too, am torn between Colt NRM and the Nork.:)

is black chrome the same as the shiny chrome except that it is shiny?

do i have to break it in using fmj? or can i just shoot it with lrn?

well, while toying with the grips, i kind of not aligned the screw properly and i think the threads are messed up.

i think 1 colt = 3-4 norincos:)

btw whats "nrm"?

mikol
11-23-2004, 08:17
hi cebuboy,

congrats bro for your new toy!!;z ;c . it took only how many weeks since you've made the purchase? eric mentioned to me about your new purchase but forgot to ask in which store you got it. is it from blue dot or marksman?

give us some updates and range report bai when you'll shoot that baby this coming sat. or sun.;f extend my regards to eric & karlon k? got already some gifts for you guys, just a cheap dunlop shooting/squash glasses ;);f

keep shooting and stay safe bro!:cool:

Alexii
11-23-2004, 08:25
Originally posted by cebuboy
is black chrome the same as the shiny chrome except that it is shiny?

do i have to break it in using fmj? or can i just shoot it with lrn?

well, while toying with the grips, i kind of not aligned the screw properly and i think the threads are messed up.

i think 1 colt = 3-4 norincos:)

btw whats "nrm"?

Try the "Who Does the Best Blueing Locally?" thread. Doc EC or Mc_O can give you firsthand credible info regarding black chrome.

Personally, I prefer breaking in a pistol with FMJs or copper coated reloads.

The grip bushings may have to be installed by a competent gunsmith. Fortunately, there are a lot available. Not aligned, huh? I'll have to check that thing out more closely... thanks fo the heads-up.

NRM= New Roll Mark :)

mikol
11-23-2004, 08:37
hi Alexii,

thanks for you advice about getting a 1911 pistol on the other forum bro.:) got already a price of armscor 1911 9mm practical series & G.I. 9mm "Buddy" from armscor. the prices are really cheap for a 1911 design 9mm pistol.;z

zorkd
11-23-2004, 11:22
i see you got the factory enhanced model too, i got the exact same one. got it for P17,100 at the last show.

it's a good gun, very reliable and accurate.

the bluing is adequate, although the bluing on the beavertail (on the part that contacts the skin of the gripping hand) on mine did show wear in the first two weeks of handling, everything else is holding up pretty well.

the corrosion resistance of the bluing on the slide and frame is superb, i pack it without a holster, and get it all sweaty and wet but it has held up so far. unlike my HK USP, where the slide stop started to rust after routine carry.

cebuboy
11-24-2004, 04:15
Originally posted by mikol

congrats bro for your new toy!!;z ;c . it took only how many weeks since you've made the purchase? eric mentioned to me about your new purchase but forgot to ask in which store you got it. is it from blue dot or marksman?

give us some updates and range report bai when you'll shoot that baby this coming sat. or sun.;f extend my regards to eric & karlon k? got already some gifts for you guys, just a cheap dunlop shooting/squash glasses ;);f

thanks, it took them about 5 weeks to process the order, picked it up a week after they called me(bit busy lately). blue dot and marksman are the same:) being a 1911, i think this piece needs some kolikot to work properly;f i have to take it to the doc first for check-up:) will post the results after i let her rip this saturday.

cebuboy
11-24-2004, 04:22

Personally, I prefer breaking in a pistol with FMJs or copper coated reloads.

The grip bushings may have to be installed by a competent gunsmith. Fortunately, there are a lot available. Not aligned, huh? I'll have to check that thing out more closely... thanks fo the heads-up.

thanks for the info,

how many rounds usually is needed during the breaking in period?

yup, during installing back the grips, i did not align the screw to the screw hole properly, i noticed that the screw wont go in all the way, but still i forced it in, so the thread kind of na loose thread:) i dont know why i'm so clumsy lately.

cebuboy
11-24-2004, 05:00
and a couple more things,

anybody tried a group gripper?

how about those full length guide rods?

Alexii
11-24-2004, 07:44
Break-in period for me is 300 to 500 rounds. Be generous with the Mobil1 lube on metal to metal surfaces especially the rails and barrel lugs. The break-in period is when the metal minutely conforms to the metal it contacts and eventually make the pistol's operation smooth and solid.

Personally, I'd stay away from full length guide rods. Not that I find it an inferior setup (I haven't tried it) but I think there's nothing wrong with its standard recoil system. The gun design went through two major World Wars and a countless myriads of other conflicts including Vietnam and Korea. That validates it well in my eyes. I'd stick with its traditional setup.:)

Hey, Mikol (aka Hitman Joe), you're welcome. Nice to run into you there.;c

mikol
11-24-2004, 08:27
hi Alexii,

thanks again for the advice bro. got already enough $$$ to buy myself a Norc(18k) & the wifey's armscor buddy(11k).:) i'll just get 2 FA for a 29k worth rather that getting one that worths 30k.(kailangan 2 para di na paki-alaman ni kumander 'yung FA ko kung babalik naku dito sa Saudi)

for a starter, i think amrscor 9mm will be fine for the wifey. Norc got alot of good reviews, and it seems a good gun for the price. i think it's a good starter for me also. i'll just have to pay a few extra bucks to the gunsmith for dehoning/re-finishing and that's it. ;f:cool:

hi cebuboy,

hope to see you in action what your new baby my friend, during my holidays back there in Cebu.:)

cebuboy
11-25-2004, 03:58
hi mikol, the current norincos have already acceptable finishes:) unlike before where handling one might leave your hand with cuts;f its a good gun for the price, nice steel and solidly built.

cebuboy
11-27-2004, 23:40
after shooting 200+ fmj rounds yesterday, the gun functioned flawlessly, no failures. shot another couple mags of semi wadcutters with no hitches. upon taking down the gun for inspection, i noticed the rear stud of the ejector got broken. barrel bushing is a bit loose. current addition to the gun is agroup gripper and a shock buff. things to change will be the sights, cant see the darn front sight. ejector and bushing. overall im satisfied with the gun:)

Alexii
11-28-2004, 01:22
Originally posted by cebuboy
upon taking down the gun for inspection, i noticed the rear stud of the ejector got broken. barrel bushing is a bit loose.

Did it work itself way out of the frame and got eaten by the slide rails?

How's the accuracy of the pistol?

mikol
11-28-2004, 01:49
hi cebuboy,

can't wait to be there to make my purchase of that norc.;f i already downloaded the membership form of Kamagong from the website. i'll just have to file it first before getting my FA para iwas sa 1-1.5k charge from the gunstore to provide you with their so-called "gun club cert." for crame purposes.;Q

about the broken ejector, is their any particular replacement from the store where you've got it since it is still under warranty? or you have to replace it by yourself from the after sales parts? about the sight, is it really that bad or you just want to change it to a much better novak syle sights?

pls. keep pouring more updates bro!;f i am just curious about it's performance since it got good reviews in the 1911 forum.:)

cebuboy
11-28-2004, 04:06
Did it work itself way out of the frame and got eaten by the slide rails?

How's the accuracy of the pistol?

i dont think so, maybe the impact of dry cycling the pistol the rear ejector pin snap. you can wiggle the ejector but the gun still functions 100% with no problems:) will find one and replace it just to be sure... now to figure out how to punch out that retaining pin in the front stud and how to take out the broken pin in stuck in the hole.

accuracy is acceptable for a combat pistol around 3"-4" at 15 yards but i think the gun can do better, cant see the sights properly in a sunless afternoon. and im not used to the grips, and the trigger is too short.

cebuboy
11-28-2004, 04:15
hi cebuboy,
about the broken ejector, is their any particular replacement from the store where you've got it since it is still under warranty? or you have to replace it by yourself from the after sales parts? about the sight, is it really that bad or you just want to change it to a much better novak syle sights?

pls. keep pouring more updates bro!;f i am just curious about it's performance since it got good reviews in the 1911 forum.:)

well, in the p.i. i dont think we have such things as after sales support. good thing here is that you can always find parts for the 1911:) sometimes i like to tinker around, will try to do it by myself. if i make it worse;f eh sa gunsmith na. and another thing about 1911 pistols, it makes your gunsmith rich:) about the sights, its too small for me to see clearly, specially the front sight.

out of the box, its a reliable enough pistol. and with some tinkering, i think it can be made into a great pistol.

mikol
11-28-2004, 04:37
well, that's what 1911 is all about. it's about making kalikot to the max. that if the things get's worst there is always a gunsmith to turn to.;f

jasonub
11-28-2004, 21:01
change the bushing to increase accuracy. if still unsatisfied, bring it to metrillo for barrel fitting.

you might as well have the ejector fixed by a smith too.

good luck

darwin25
11-29-2004, 00:05
I just bought a Norinco Commander from Deenoh. It's a faithful copy of a Colt Commander along with the grip safety and the hammer. I intend to run about a few hundred rounds through it to see what needs to be changed. Reliability and functionality until I am satisfied first. Cosmetics will come later.

batangueno
11-29-2004, 21:02
Darwin, when i saw that Norinco commander you bought it made me think about my next project gun. I will try to enhance it to look like this...
http://www.edbrown.com/images/handguns/kobracarry.jpg

Please update us once you've broken it in. :)

darwin25
11-29-2004, 22:48
Originally posted by batangueno
Darwin, when i saw that Norinco commander you bought it made me think about my next project gun. I will try to enhance it to look like this...
http://www.edbrown.com/images/handguns/kobracarry.jpg

Please update us once you've broken it in. :)

Sure sir.:)

Is that the bobcat mainspring housing?. I'm thinking along the same line too.

batangueno
11-29-2004, 23:14
Originally posted by darwin25
Is that the bobcat mainspring housing?. I'm thinking along the same line too. It's the Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing. :)

darwin25
11-30-2004, 00:08
Originally posted by batangueno
It's the Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing. :)

Thanks for the correction:)

darwin25
11-30-2004, 01:10
Question: I have not quite inspected the Norinco. Do they follow the Series 70 or Series 80 Colt?

mc_oliver
11-30-2004, 01:40
S70 yata.

Bakit ba ang ganda talaga yung nakabihis na commander no?

infinitecolt
11-30-2004, 01:41
Norinco 1911's are Series 70 (no firing pin safety).

batangueno
11-30-2004, 01:51
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Bakit ba ang ganda talaga yung nakabihis na commander no?
Cute kasi eh. ;f

Valor1
11-30-2004, 18:39
Hi. Let me make some suggestions/opinions.

1. You can solve the grip on the back part by creating an “illusion.” This is by changing to a thicker grip (hogue and pachmayr rubber grips are good) and using an arched mainspring housing (which is the stock part on Norincos).

2. The best finish is still hard chrome. The baked on epoxy paints seems to hold up well I just don’t know who applies them locally.

3. As for rear sights, if defensive use, the cognoscenti favors the Novaks. For competition, the Bomar is the way to go. As to the front sights, have them dovetailed.

4. There are may triggers available. King’s triggers have three sizes – short,medium and long and so as the others. It will be a matter of personal preference (specially the looks). Chip McCormicks are also good and so as the Wilsons, Ed Brown, STI and a hundred others.

5. Most important thing to do is to make sure the gun is reliable. Shoot it for 300-500 rounds with FMJ bullets. Have the barrel throated, extractor tuned, get a nice trigger job and have the smith do a good fitting on the barrel, slide to frame, etc. Don't make it too tight. Part of the reliability is in its "looseness."

6. Most grips will fit the Norinco. If you are going to buy new grip screws, it won’t fit in the Norinco (they use a different thread). You may wish to have new grip screw bushings installed if you will buy another set of grip screws.

As for shok-buffs, they are good for the range. They can cause jams if you rip them at the most inopportune moments (you wouldn't like them on a defensive situation). The Full length guide rods are really optional. You can live with or without them. It adds weight but not really that much unless you are using the tungsten kind.

mikol
11-30-2004, 23:43
Originally posted by Valor1

2. The best finish is still hard chrome. The baked on epoxy paints seems to hold up well I just don’t know who applies them locally.

S.A.M do make this kind of finish now in their factory in cebu. i don't know if they have some shop there in manila to do dehoning/re-finishing job.

but if cebuboy want to have it hard chromed black slide & O.D. green or military green oven baked teflon finish frame, S.A.M can do it maybe for less than 5k all-in-all. ;f but to be sure just try to contact shooters for more info.:)

cebuboy
12-02-2004, 04:55

but if cebuboy want to have it hard chromed black slide & O.D. green or military green oven baked teflon finish frame, S.A.M can do it maybe for less than 5k all-in-all. ;f but to be sure just try to contact shooters for more info.:)

;f i'm still trying to shoot the gun some more:) want to find out what else will break:) currently on my list is a new bushing, bigger sights, maybe longer trigger. after that if all goes well then a new finish job and a new pair of wooden grips:)