hair balls ( cough ) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hair balls ( cough )

noway
11-23-2004, 12:59
What can you do to prevent and treat cats with a hair balls problem? My friend's cat always get's these choking coughs and has always had a hair ball problem. He mostly gets dry cat food and a can of wet every 4-6weeks. He sounds very bad when he is choking/coughing or whatever you call it.

JMag
11-23-2004, 20:21
No hairball formula cat food (dry) from Petsmart works great. Our feline has never had a hairball. Maybe it's the short hair, too.

MrsKitty
11-24-2004, 00:45
Keep kitty brushed to remove loose hair.

Give kitty some pumpkin as a treat at least once a week--the fiber helps a lot and kitties love pumpkin.

I keep a pot of cat grass for my kitties to snack on all the time. It is supposed to help with hair balls.

I feed Hill's Science Diet hairball formula for the dry food. Kitties get an occasional can of wet food-maybe twice a month. Another tasty treat is chicken baby food. They love that ;)

I don't get hairballs often. Before making these modifications to my kitties' diet, one had constant hairballs.

Try to avoid using the petroleum based hairball remedies. They coat the stomach/digestive tract to make the hairball ease on through but it prevents kitty from absorbing the nutrients in the food! I use these as a last resort.

noway
11-24-2004, 10:20
Q:Does cat grass = katnip?

The cat get's plenty of catnip but he has one problem, he grooms hisself and his body, so i guess double the dosage of hair. the cat is a short hair grey persian. i guess you would consider it short vrs long.

MrsKitty
11-25-2004, 13:54
Catnip gets a cat high. Cat grass is not catnip. Cat grass looks almost like the grass that grows in your yard while catnip is an herb.

I think it is a blend of wheat grass, oat grass, flax and some more things.

You can buy pots of grass at Petsmart or get seeds and start your own. I have done both. I grow my own when I remember to plan ahead but I foget it sometimes...

MrsKitty
11-25-2004, 13:55
Originally posted by noway
...he grooms hisself and his body, so i guess double the dosage of hair. the cat is a short hair grey persian. i guess you would consider it short vrs long.

My cat that gets the most hairballs is a short hair. But her hair is so thick.

The long haired fella gets one occasionally but not like the short.

Of course, the long hair loves to be brushed so that helps a lot. I can pick up my hair brush and he comes running ;f

noway
11-26-2004, 10:07
Thanks, I'll pass that cat grass hint over to them. The cats sounds sickly when he trying to cough up a ball.

I did offer to operate on him.I have a sharp knife. ;f

MrsKitty
11-26-2004, 23:54
Be nice to the kitty ;e

It is pitiful sounding when a kitty is yakking up a hairball :(

KenF
12-16-2004, 19:00
My cat gets hairballs and nothing really seems to get rid of them. I saw you recommend pumpkin. Is that regular canned pumpkin, like you'd use for a pie ?

Ken.

MrsKitty
12-16-2004, 22:55
Yep. Or fresh, cooked if you have it. They love both :)

KenF
12-17-2004, 15:19
OK, thanks.

People say my cat and I get more alike as time goes on. If it turns out she likes pumpkin, then that's just one more thing. I love pumpkin pie !

Ken.

MrsKitty
12-17-2004, 22:44
We freeze pumpkin when we have extra. The cats haven't learned to recognize the frozen yet but they know what the cans look like. The both love it!