Pre-match preparations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pre-match preparations

mikey177
11-24-2004, 05:41
Would you seasoned competitors kindly share the things you do to prepare the day or days before a big match?

Do you load your magazines the night before? Do you get a good night's rest? Do you perform any mental exercises or visualizations as you lay in bed? Equipment check? Do you ever get match jitters the night before the competition, and if so, how do you deal with them?

9MX
11-24-2004, 08:20
1. prepare your equipment
2. load or unloaded mags- personal pref
3. sleep early/sleep late - the answer is obvious but still its personal preference
4. visualizations - personal pref but recommended. top guns have these excercises
5. jitters - depends on your mindset but its normal

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 10:24
prepare all your stuff the night before. my current range bag (i bought an american tourister overnight/carry-on bag) contains the following items:

belt and holster
rudy project kerosene shooting glasses
ear muffs and ear plugs
knee and elbow pads
magazine brush and swab
small rag/towel for cleaning pistol and mags
small bottle of Mobil 1 oil
small tool kit for disassembling pistol and magazines - punch, screwdriver, allen keys, leatherman, etc.
pistol cover for when it rains
pro-grip lotion
ballpen
hat/cap
towel
digital camera
sunblock
first aid kit - band aids, analgesic, small bottle of betadine antiseptic, alcohol swabs, antibiotic ointment and eye drops, tape, gauze dressing, etc.
2 bottles of water or gatorade
dried mangoes
hard candies
ammo in sufficient quantity for the match plus extra if ever you get a re-shoot
pistol magazines
the pistol inside a gun rug

do not forget to bring your pistol to the match as i once did!

Allegra
11-24-2004, 10:28
The answer should be , whatever keeps you relaxed and loose on match day.
I dont prepare at all, kung out of town match I'm usually drunk the night before ( hanggnag 3am usually :)), and the only time I handle my gun, andun na sa match mismo.

Si Pible baliktad. Maaga matulog , or kung room mate mo siya, he would spend most of his time trying to psych you out :)
May dry fire pa, equipment check and double check, pati yata parking the next day , pinag aaralan .

Jitters? its what makes competition so addicting
Pag wala na pressure , it's time to change games

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 10:30
make sure your equipment works 100%. the sights should be zeroed in. i also bring along a spare slide stop or any other part that may break. if you have a back-up pistol, bring it to the match also.

preventive maintenance is best. change springs after so many hundreds or thousands of rounds fired through the pistol.

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 10:33
ako naman sobrang relaxed to the point na hindi na ako makatakbo! hahahaha!!!

Saruman
11-24-2004, 10:42
Originally posted by Allegra
The answer should be , whatever keeps you relaxed and loose on match day. I dont prepare at all, kung out of town match I'm usually drunk the night before ( hanggnag 3am usually :)), and the only time I handle my gun, andun na sa match mismo.
Jitters? its what makes competition so addicting
Pag wala na pressure , it's time to change games

ditto on the drunk part.. hehehe.. but i try to dryfire a day or two before the match.. draw strokes and reload movements.. i always get the jitters on the 1st stage.. pagdating sa 2nd and up to the end, enjoy na all the way.. hehehehe ;f ;f .. but i aint seasoned like the rest.. seasonal shooter pwede pa.. time and budget restricts the hobby.. ;c ;c

New_comer
11-24-2004, 10:48
I'll use doc EC's list to describe how I prepare. Mine are only those in bold...
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
prepare all your stuff the night before. my current range bag (i bought an american tourister overnight/carry-on bag) contains the following items:

belt and holster
rudy project kerosene shooting glasses
ear muffs and ear plugs
knee and elbow pads
magazine brush and swab
small rag/towel for cleaning pistol and mags
small bottle of Mobil 1 oil
small tool kit for disassembling pistol and magazines - punch, screwdriver, allen keys, leatherman, etc.
pistol cover for when it rains
pro-grip lotion
ballpen
hat/cap
towel
digital camera
sunblock
first aid kit - band aids, analgesic, small bottle of betadine antiseptic, alcohol swabs, antibiotic ointment and eye drops, tape, gauze dressing, etc.
2 bottles of water or gatorade
dried mangoes
hard candies
ammo in sufficient quantity for the match plus extra if ever you get a re-shoot
pistol magazines
the pistol inside a gun rug

do not forget to bring your pistol to the match as i once did!
And the valid PTT

Do you load your magazines the night before? Nope. Forces me to do something while waiting for the match to start.

Do you get a good night's rest? Not much different from my usual insomniac pattern

Do you perform any mental exercises or visualizations as you lay in bed? Counting chicks jumping over lazy me... ;)

Equipment check? A dry fire or two, that's about it.

Do you ever get match jitters the night before the competition, and if so, how do you deal with them? No jitters for me. sometimes I feel it's a chore. But I still push myself out da door. Gotta smell the gunsmoke.... ;)

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 10:55
yeah, the photocopy of the FA license, PTT and PPSA ID are stored in a ziploc bag and are all inside the gun rug pocket

mikey177
11-24-2004, 17:10
Originally posted by Allegra

May dry fire pa, equipment check and double check, pati yata parking the next day , pinag aaralan .

Natawa ako dito sir. Actually, if time and circumstances had permitted it, I would've gone to the PNP range in Lingayen a few days ago just to familiarize myself with its location, since this will be my first time to go there and I don't want to get lost :)

I think I have to get a bigger range bag to lug around all my stuff. At present I am using two smaller bags, which is a bit of a hassle since I may forget to bring something, mistakenly thinking that its in the other bag.

Thanks for the tips.

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 17:34
sa dau or sa gilid ng crame maraming nabibiling mga tool bags. magandang lalagyan ng ammo and as a stage bag. si Laiza meron rin binebenta.

so you don't have to lug all your stuff the whole day if it's not needed.

mc_oliver
11-24-2004, 18:53
make sure your equipment works 100%.
HA? Akala ko sa match na mismo ginagawa yan? ;f;f

batangueno
11-24-2004, 20:01
For me the most important thing is to have a good breakfast. Aba mahirap ng gutomin during the match....hehe ;f

Eye Cutter
11-24-2004, 21:00
psst! batangueno, e hindi naman tayo mauubusan ng pagkain, e! tayo pa! hahaha!!!!

jerrytrini
11-24-2004, 22:22
Work out the day before a big match. If the courses of fire are shown on the net, study them. Chamber check all your match ammo. When you get to the range, mingle and socialize(this is to make you feel relaxed).

When Doc Eyecutter, Falvar, ArmedandDangerous and I shot a Norco match (small one)we had breakfast and spent almost 45 minutes socializing with others. If you regularly shoot a match, jitters will go away. That's why the only prep for a big match is shooting small matches more often. My 2 cents.

batangueno
11-25-2004, 00:15
psst! batangueno, e hindi naman tayo mauubusan ng pagkain, e! tayo pa! hahaha!!!! ;z

homogenizer
11-26-2004, 07:45
Originally posted by mikey177
Would you seasoned competitors kindly share the things you do to prepare the day or days before a big match?

Do you load your magazines the night before? Do you get a good night's rest? Do you perform any mental exercises or visualizations as you lay in bed? Equipment check? Do you ever get match jitters the night before the competition, and if so, how do you deal with them?

magazines: i keep them unloaded. just load em up before the match begins. Its great to have a separate magazines for defense and sport. my defense mags are always filled less 2 rounds ;e

good night's rest: yep! the last time i went to a match with 1 hour of sleep i usually miss a sequence of targets ;f

mental exercise: nope! just relax and dont mind the match!

jitters: usually before the stage begins! I love it! ;e

equipment check: certainly important especially checking and practicing a newyork1 trigger before match day! ;z

9MX
11-26-2004, 12:04
Originally posted by homogenizer
equipment check: certainly important especially checking and practicing a newyork1 trigger before match day! ;z

i told you the new jersey trigger was better;f

homogenizer
11-26-2004, 18:59
Originally posted by 9MX
i told you the new jersey trigger was better;f

;z ;z ;z lets see if the "rosales trigger" works better ;f