Movie Transfers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Movie Transfers

natrep
11-24-2004, 14:16
Hope this is ok in this forum. I noticed a VHS/DVD in Costco the other day that you could use to copy your VHS tapes to DVD. Is it really that easy? I thought VHS tapes were copyright protected and would not copy. Am I wrong? If not, what do you have to do to get them to copy like this? Like a lot of others I have a ton of tapes that I would like to put on DVD's and would appreciate some advice. Can anybody help with some answers? Thanks.

chevrofreak
11-24-2004, 16:14
They probably figure that the people who are going to copy stuff will be copying videos they made themselves, thus no macrovision.

fastvfr
11-24-2004, 19:01
Right.

That will make the DVD's look horrible if you try it with recent (within 3 years or so) movies on VHS tapes.

Since there is no protection on a homemade film, or older VHS films, you can burn them easily.

I prefer to do this sort of backup work on a PC because I get better control over the process. Those DVD blanks aren't cheap; certainly too pricey to use as coasters for your drinks!!!

Yes, there are 'black boxes' and other technologies that will let you de-Macrovision the signal, but we don't talk about them here.

Search Google and you shall find, Young Grasshopper!

Washington,D.C.
11-24-2004, 19:32
Only commercial movies are protected.Those wouldn't pay to convert to DVD anyway.It's cheaper and better to just buy the same movies on DVD's.Those machines are for people who want to save home video's on DVD.Video store memberships are now free and the local library has all of the current DVD's for free.I really can't see buying any commercial movies.I remember when the video stores charged a few hundred dollars for "lifetime" memberships.We had one here that would copy the VHS movies to Betamax for their members that had Beta.They weren't suppose to do that but they were popular because the had movies on Beta.

chevrofreak
11-24-2004, 21:05
Originally posted by fastvfr
Those DVD blanks aren't cheap; certainly too pricey to use as coasters for your drinks!!!

I order the 4x ProDisc media by the 100's from supermediastore.com

My last order was for 100 DVD-R's and 100 paper sleeves, and it was under $40 shipped. Absolutely fantastic media, too. Not one single bad disc in the 120 or so I've burned so far (at 8x mind you)

Furant
11-25-2004, 21:40
Originally posted by chevrofreak
I order the 4x ProDisc media by the 100's from supermediastore.com

My last order was for 100 DVD-R's and 100 paper sleeves, and it was under $40 shipped. Absolutely fantastic media, too. Not one single bad disc in the 120 or so I've burned so far (at 8x mind you)
Good post CF. I have actually been pretty pleased with my Ritek media from supermediastore.com too. It just amazes me to see how much cheaper this stuff is than buying the so-called name-brand stuff at a brick and mortar store.

Joey