$2,000 Hard Drives again [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $2,000 Hard Drives again


Anon1
11-24-2004, 19:10
For anyone that might remember the very early days of 40MB drives that stored in large suitcases and cost $20k and then was amazed when a whopping 400MB drive was sub $1k.

This 1.6TB drive (that's 1,600 Gigabytes) for $2,200 reminds me of something about all the eggs and one basket.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10551

Clyde in CO
11-24-2004, 22:30
yup, fast forward a few years and you'll see home PC's with terabyte storage.

geminicricket
11-24-2004, 22:38
That crashes every 2 years.

That will so mess up my global climate change simulations.

10 Ring Tao
11-24-2004, 23:41
RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID RAID

Anon1
11-25-2004, 06:04
I agree that a RAID would be required, but then we're talking about atleast $4,400 for 1.6TB of storage.

cgwahl
11-26-2004, 01:22
I remember paying $100 or $200 for a 100 meg hard drive I believe in 1995 (or maybe it was 1 gig, I can't recall now; still was a lot of money at the time for me). Last year I paid about $100 to $120 for a 120 gig hard drive and today I can get that same hard drive for less than $80 (and I think I have even seen it go as low as $60 at some places).

Amazing how prices change as the years go on. Won't be surprised to see a terabyte drive going for $100 by the end of 2010. Heck, maybe even that low by 2007...

10 Ring Tao
11-26-2004, 20:15
Picked up a new western digital 160 gig drive for 29.99 today.

WolfmanGK
11-26-2004, 23:30
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Picked up a new western digital 160 gig drive for 29.99 today.


Where?????!?!

MikeG22
11-27-2004, 02:48
That thing includes a raid array, in fact that is all it is. It's prolly got a number of 7200 rpm drives in raid 0. Nothing too special here considering it's 2U in size and weighs 11 lbs.

10 Ring Tao
11-27-2004, 11:24
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
Where?????!?!

Best buy, paid $119. Will be $29 after $90 worth of mail in rebates.

NRA_guy
11-27-2004, 20:28
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
Where?????!?!

probably an after thanksgiving day sale.

Jon509
11-29-2004, 16:33
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Best buy, paid $119. Will be $29 after $90 worth of mail in rebates.

I took advantage of that, the $198 computer, and the $499 laptop.

It was a good day.

Jon

kilroy2721
11-30-2004, 11:30
My Company just bought one of these 1TB lacie drives...The stupid idots were not thinking clearly when they bought it. The first thing I asked them was how they were going to back it up...you could see the "deer in the headlight look" that they had the only answer that they said is we will use a CD burner for backups...at least it is not my problem.

pfrigm
11-30-2004, 11:55
http://media.big-boys.com/files06/bbpics/pic0348.jpg

M2 Carbine
12-01-2004, 10:24
Ya, I swapped a Hungarian P-63 ($160) for 8 meg of memory giving me a whopping 16 meg and I haven't been into computers all that long.;f

10 Ring Tao
12-01-2004, 11:10
Originally posted by kilroy2721
My Company just bought one of these 1TB lacie drives...The stupid idots were not thinking clearly when they bought it. The first thing I asked them was how they were going to back it up...you could see the "deer in the headlight look" that they had the only answer that they said is we will use a CD burner for backups...at least it is not my problem.

1 gig = 1000 meg
1 ter = 1000 gig
1 ter = 1 million meg
1 CD = 700 meg

1,000,000 (meg in a ter) / 700 (meg in a CD) = 1428.5 CDs

So, 1428.5 CDs per backup of 1 terrabyte of info. Have fun with that. I wonder how many CDs a burner can do before wearing out.

Anon1
12-01-2004, 17:39
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
Ya, I swapped a Hungarian P-63 ($160) for 8 meg of memory giving me a whopping 16 meg and I haven't been into computers all that long.;f

Hey M2,

I just happen to have a few of those very valuable RAM components sitting right here.

Perhaps you'd like to have them on trade for something maybe like an Uzi or some class III thingy? Huh???

M2 Carbine
12-03-2004, 09:16
Thanks Anon1,
If you happen to have a IBM 386 computer with a 40 meg hard drive we may even make a deal for my Kimber.;f

IHR
12-03-2004, 12:22
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
1 gig = 1000 meg
1 ter = 1000 gig
1 ter = 1 million meg
1 CD = 700 meg

1,000,000 (meg in a ter) / 700 (meg in a CD) = 1428.5 CDs

So, 1428.5 CDs per backup of 1 terrabyte of info. Have fun with that. I wonder how many CDs a burner can do before wearing out.
... probably 1425 d'oh! ;g

Griz
12-04-2004, 12:00
Well it was not that long ago that I spent $500 for 16 megs of RAM.
Well it don't seem that long ago...

Lets see, when I got out of the Commadore stuff and bought the first pc type rig it was a 286 with 2 megs of ram and only expandable to 4 megs. = $ 2000 for that thing running on Geos operating sys.

THANK YOU for todays (well, yesterdays) stuff.
;f ;f