PDA

View Full Version : First person shooter /

sbstudley
11-25-2004, 00:49
I have a Dell dimensions DEM 2350
640 MB RAM
1.99 GHz
Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz

The video card is just what came on the machine from the factory.

Can you recommend a first person shooter game for me.
If it would help to upgrade the video card then what would you recommend that would not cost to much.

Thanks for the help. I am so lost here

Steve

MrMurphy
11-25-2004, 09:17
WW2 game? Alien shooter? Modern? What are your interests?

Tvov
11-25-2004, 11:41
With the newer games, a video/graphics card makes a huge difference. When I got Halo1 this past winter, there were few colors, and most of the bad guys were gray. This spring I got an ATI Radion 9600Pro (I think that's what it is, I don't think that is spelled right), and it has made the game immmensely better. With most all of my other games it has made a big improvement.

I am a big convert to aftermarket graphics cards!

sbstudley
11-25-2004, 22:36
Originally posted by MrMurphy
WW2 game? Alien shooter? Modern? What are your interests?

I have never been a big gamer butI did enjoy playing wolfenstien. So that is my only experience.

Steve

sbstudley
11-25-2004, 22:37
Now that I think about it a WWII game does sound good.

Steve

Tvov
11-25-2004, 23:22
Then try Medal of Honor or Battlefield1942

MOH especially you should be able to find inexpensive somewhere.

sbstudley
11-26-2004, 00:58
That is great. Do I need a graphics card? and if so what would you recommend For not much money?

Steve

Tvov
11-26-2004, 08:56
When we first got MOH last year we were just using the built in graphics of our computer, and it worked fine. It does look better with a card, but it is not necessary. Some games, such as Halo, pretty much require an aftermarket card to get the full effect of the game. You don't really know how a game will look on your computer until you play it!

Do a search on GT, there are a bunch of threads about graphics card, including at least one that I started. A lot of info. My ATI 9600 was around $130, but there are a bunch of new ones out, so you might be able to get a better card for the same or lower price.

chevrofreak
11-26-2004, 19:08
Call of Duty and the United Offensive expansion pack for it are absolutely bad ass.

Gary_P
11-26-2004, 20:12
what he said

played it last week, so much eyecandy and sounds. it totally blew me away

on the other hand if its aliens/zombies you want to frag. get Doom3

Gary

tgtshuter
11-28-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by chevrofreak
Call of Duty and the United Offensive expansion pack for it are absolutely bad ass.

I agree! CoD is awesome, both single player and on-line. But CoD really shines as single player.

For multi-player, you gotta try Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam. Single player sucks with these two games.
Multi-player is where it's at here! Forget the public servers. Get with a tournament or a clan for organized battles - WOW!!

The above is IMHO...there are a bunch of FPS and squad-based games. But that is two different "genres" of games.

sbstudley
12-04-2004, 21:38
I recieved Medal of Honor in the mail today and I really enjoyed it. I am impressed with all the action they packed into it.

Steve

protozo1
12-04-2004, 22:05
Here are some other older ones I know you'll like: Soldier of Fortune, Half-Life, Doom 3, Quake series.

Tvov
12-05-2004, 08:29
You may want to look into the MOH-Spearhead expansion pack, we (my son and I) think it is very good. We also got the MOH-Breakthrough expansion, we don't think it is really worth paying for (if you get it for free or included with another game it may be worth it).

fastvfr
12-05-2004, 16:31
I have to tell you...Doom III, Battlefield Vietnam, and Far Cry are three newer games that will play POORLY on any low-end (ATI Radeon 9600XT or less) video card.

Firt you need to find out if your motherboard supports an AGP slot. Crac\k the case and look between the CPU and the white PCI card slots...it should be long and brown, running parallel to the PCI slots.

That DELL is markedly un-upgradable, though, so it might not. In that case, you are screwed and need a better PC if you want to game at all. And even if it does, the PSU might not supply enough power to run one!

Remember, too, that Dell had the audacity to FUBAR the ATX form factor eight ways from Sunday...the power supply is marginal at best and will KILL a regular MOBO. Likewise, since they reversed and switched wires around in the plugs, you can't use a GOOD PSU without a POS to ATX power adapter, or else it'll kill your Dell MOBO.

Isn't that just precious??

Anyway, I have tried to help folks upgrade these PC's, with limited success, due to the fact that it is usually cheaper to replace them than to try to use any of their 3rd rate components to build a useful gaming rig.

They do OK for e-mail, though.;Q

ATI_RAGE_
12-12-2004, 15:32
I second the ATI Radeon 9600 pro suggestion.. not that I am biased ;)

Jtemple
12-12-2004, 18:11
Get an Xbox, an Xbox Live subscription, and Halo 2. :)