Anybody own or rode a Harley VRSC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own or rode a Harley VRSC?

Daniel Ramsey
11-25-2004, 18:41
Just wondering about buying one, looks way too cool!

BikerRN
11-26-2004, 09:28
I rode one. Love the sitting position and forward controls but hate the engine.

To me, IT AIN'T A HARLEY, no matter what the name plate says. If I wanted a water cooled engine I'd get a BMW or a Jap bike. If I wanted a true blue cruiser, then I'd get a Harley.

markos
11-26-2004, 15:23
I rode one one once, nice bike if you are into cruisers. Looks great but way overpriced and underpowered, for the motor company it's a bold move into the 1980's.

Daniel Ramsey
11-26-2004, 18:51
Thank you for helping me out, I'm trying to sorta plan on a quality bike for a first timer like me, basically I want quality with good handling characteristics, not a radical racer, not a behemoth cruiser, I'm still looking though, yes $17,000 is pricy now that I have seen the other prices.

TreeTrooper
11-28-2004, 15:41
I test rode a V-Rod last summer. Nice bike for a Harley. I think the Honda VTX or Yamaha RoadStar are both better deals if you are looking for a cruiser. If you have to have a Harley, the V-Rod is the safest choice. I got rid of my Fatboy last spring, no more farm implements for me :)

WERA49
11-29-2004, 09:05
I rode one. It is very nice. The V-Rod is the only cruiser that I want. The power was great. I don't like the air cooled Harleys.

For those that think Harley has made a mistake, consider this:
The air cooled engine is ancient and inefficient. It is going away.

The EPA also controls noise pollution. That's why Harley switched from roller bearing to plain bearings. What would be quieter yet? A liquid cooled engine.

Two valve engines have terrible combustion chambers. Four valves heads work much better.

The V-Rod has a 60 deg. V as opposed to the standard 45 deg.

The V-Rod has no pushrods. (overhead cams)

The V-Rod has the strongest crank that Harley has ever used. (forged)

Beyond the above points, it's the fastest cruiser on the market. :)

I'm not a cruiser guy. Sportbikes are my favorite. However, if I were in the market to buy a cruiser, it would be a V-Rod.

Daniel Ramsey
11-29-2004, 21:44
I can afford it....but I consider myself still a beginner, its been 30 years. There is a brand new Harley showroom opening up justa 1/4 mile down the road from my job here in Wasilla, Alaska. Those are selling points to me about the overhead cam, forged crank etc. As a diesel mechanic/high performance engines, machinist I value modernization and ruggedness, i was leaning towards a BMW but the styling doesn't appeal to me, knowing myself if I did get a good deal on a BMW bike I would most likely have stripped it down and made it "my way";) of which building a custom bike isn't out of the question either in the future as I have built show cars, custom Jaguars with small bock chevies and many street rod motors. Its just been my course in life of over 35 years as a mechanic my interest has always been either cars, trucks, BIG trucks, boats, snowmachines and heavy equipment (loaders, dozers, trailers, dumps)but nonexistant almost entirely is cycles.

So far the VRSC has it, its American, its a Harley its got muscle and from what I'm hearing can cruise quite well if I was to roll down the Alaska hiway.

I'll be talking to the salesfolks and see if it flies with my credit, I most likely will start out on something much more rider friendly regardless of make and keep this one in thought, its at the top of the list unless I convince myself a BMW is better. Thank you for pointing out those features on the V-rod against the traditional Harley engineering, I read it was a different engine but not THAT different!;f

WERA49
11-29-2004, 22:40
So far the VRSC has it, its American, its a Harley its got muscle
^c

I agree. I like the idea of owning an American bike. However, there are no American sportbikes that I like. I rode the Buell and loved everything but the engine. When Harley/Buell installs the V-Rod engine in the Buell, I'll probably sell on of my bikes and buy the Buell.

I took a XB12S Buell on a test ride. The chassis and suspension are awesome. The suspension is so nice that it felt like aftermarket quality. The brakes were fine. Other than brake pads, I wouldn't change them. The engine was a complete disappointment. I rode to the Buell dealer on my GSXR1000. The salesman seemed to think that the Buell would be "nearly as powerful". Ha! My FZR400 has as much HP! If I never see another air-cooled HD engine, that will be fine with me. I won't miss them.

As for cruising, the owner of the one that I rode has taken many weeklong trips on it. He loves it. He had been away from bikes for a long time (his previous bike was a Yamaha FJ1100). He had been without a bike for approx. 15 years. He bought a 1200 Sportster thinking that it should run about like his old FJ. He hated it. I hated it. After one year he traded the Sportster in on the V-Rod.

He is very happy with the V-Rod. :)

markos
11-30-2004, 11:32
The V-rod may be assembled in the USA, but the motor was designed and built by Porsche, H-D could never have engineered such a powerplant, their technology is decades behind the curve.

45acp4me
11-30-2004, 13:31
Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey
I can afford it....but I consider myself still a beginner, its been 30 years. There is a brand new Harley showroom opening up justa 1/4 mile down the road from my job here in Wasilla, Alaska. Those are selling points to me about the overhead cam, forged crank etc. As a diesel mechanic/high performance engines, machinist I value modernization and ruggedness, i was leaning towards a BMW but the styling doesn't appeal to me, knowing myself if I did get a good deal on a BMW bike I would most likely have stripped it down and made it "my way";) of which building a custom bike isn't out of the question either in the future as I have built show cars, custom Jaguars with small bock chevies and many street rod motors. Its just been my course in life of over 35 years as a mechanic my interest has always been either cars, trucks, BIG trucks, boats, snowmachines and heavy equipment (loaders, dozers, trailers, dumps)but nonexistant almost entirely is cycles.

So far the VRSC has it, its American, its a Harley its got muscle and from what I'm hearing can cruise quite well if I was to roll down the Alaska hiway.

I'll be talking to the salesfolks and see if it flies with my credit, I most likely will start out on something much more rider friendly regardless of make and keep this one in thought, its at the top of the list unless I convince myself a BMW is better. Thank you for pointing out those features on the V-rod against the traditional Harley engineering, I read it was a different engine but not THAT different!;f

If you have not yet owned a bike, seriously consider riding a 500CC or less standard bike or dual sport for a year or two before moving up to a big, heavy bike. Start out light and nimble, then buy the big heavy one.

New riders drop bikes in the driveway and parking lots. Dropping a used $1,500 beginner bike hurts the pocket book much less than dropping a HD. If you crash, you can replace parts for much cheaper on a bike like a GS500 compared to a V-rod.

Taking a class and buying good gear is a must.

Have fun, and don't forget, everyone on the road wants to kill you. ;f

Cheers!
Glen

kaizoku
12-13-2004, 11:51

fnfalman
12-13-2004, 13:43
If I were to ever wanted to ride an H-D, the V-Rod is the only one that I would want to ride.