I need a wiring solution [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a wiring solution

pal2511
11-26-2004, 00:24
I am having about 8 or 9 cat 5 and 8 or 9 coaxial cables running to one spot. I need to think of a way to mount my router switch cable modem and cable splitters to the wall or a central location . I was thinking of maybe building a wood box or buying one of those plastic deals where you can just pop in the modules...what do you guys think. Here is what it currently looks like..I am still running wires mind you.http://www.ponyexpress.net/~pal251/%16%07%90K%04/DSC01012.JPG

NetNinja
11-26-2004, 08:28
yep.

You may want to move your cat5 cables away from the electrical conduits.
RF interference.

Texas T
11-26-2004, 14:50
Originally posted by NetNinja
You may want to move your cat5 cables away from the electrical conduits. RF interference. And if you can't move them, run the cables at a 90 degree angle to the electrical when they have to cross.

pal2511
11-26-2004, 15:11
Unfortunately pretty much everywhere I run them in teh basement is gonna have electrical conduits....all the walls have electrical conduits and I have 2 or 3 conduits running the length of the basement...I have a total of like 15 or 16 outlets down here...

pal2511
11-26-2004, 15:12
Originally posted by Texas T
And if you can't move them, run the cables at a 90 degree angle to the electrical when they have to cross.

Got a picture of how I am supposed to do that by chance ...or can you explain it?

I am looking at the home networking products at lowes that comes with a cable splitter patch panel and has room for a couple extra things like an amp and stuff in the box for 80 dollars....hat do you guys think of osmething like that/

gwalchmai
11-27-2004, 10:34
Originally posted by pal2511
Got a picture of how I am supposed to do that by chance ...or can you explain it? Electrical wires produce radio frequency radiation (RF) which will induce currents in yout network cables, making your network slower. You should avoid placing netwok cables close to electrical cables wherever possible, and if you have to cross over them, do so at right angles if you can, or as great an angle as possible, since this RF problem will be greatest when your network cable is parallel to the power cables. A few inches of separation is usually enough.

pal2511
11-27-2004, 21:39
Ok I got you now

so you make the wires like a cross basically and dont do the parallel thing.

unixglocker
11-28-2004, 20:37
slap up a piece of plywood and screw the stuff to that maybe?

ric0123
11-28-2004, 22:59
I used to install that sort of thing. What we used was a metal box (normally inset into the wall) with a "pegboard" behind it and a series of leviton patch panels for the hooksups. All available at Home Depot. A small box was 24 x 24, fits a telephone panel on top, coax below, and a network hub on bottom if you squeeze. If you want EVERYTHING to fit in it, get the 24x 48 and your linksys router and cable modem will go in it as well.

bbauman
11-28-2004, 23:38
Tie wraps go a long way to making things look a bit more organized. You can pull slack in individual cables up in the ceiling to have them all even on your shelf. $0.02.

SamBuca
12-01-2004, 00:46
I've never had a parallel inductance problem with CAT5 or CAT6. Coax is a nightmare....the shielding works fine against your normal RF, but next to an electrical wire it sucks.

Use the velcro ties. Twist ties take FOREVER and zip strips are more or less permanent.

If you're rewiring the whole house anyway, make wiring troughs for the coax/CAT5 and keep them away from power lines.

pal2511
12-01-2004, 10:59
What is a wire trough? Is it like a wire conduit?

SamBuca
12-01-2004, 18:00
It's just a dedicated place to stash the wires. You could route PVC pipe and put strong plastic twine in it when you build it....then when you want to run another wire, tie it to the twine along with a new piece of twine and yank on the other end. The smooth curves of the PVC will let you route it through the entire house and attaching another piece of twine will let you do it again.

pal2511
12-08-2004, 03:56
How far away should I keep the coax wires away from the power lines? I dont know if I am too keen on running PVC pipe but it would look a lot cleaner if I did that..

pal2511
12-08-2004, 03:57
Do they make a trough or whatever its called that is open on top that you can just lay the wires on top. Like a pipe that is cut in half or something

gwalchmai
12-08-2004, 06:11
pal, usually a foot or so is plenty of separation. Also be sure to keep your ethernet cables away from any flourescent light ballasts, which tend to be pretty "noisy" electronically.

Most home centers have a product called "wiremould" which you can house the cables in, but it's kinda pricy, as would be any kind of tray solution. If you're handy though you could make a tray by glueing up some strips of moulding.

grantglock
12-08-2004, 09:42
Originally posted by pal2511
Do they make a trough or whatever its called that is open on top that you can just lay the wires on top. Like a pipe that is cut in half or something

yep, called wire trays (http://www.madixinc.com/esales/start.swe?SWEView=Home+Page+View+%28eSales%29&SWECmd=GotoView&SWEBOK=1)

pal2511
12-09-2004, 16:01
Anything else that can work as a wire tray? You said I could glue boards together......I dont know how well that would work out for me...I would prefer a plastic of some sorts but I want teh cheapest thing

gwalchmai
12-09-2004, 21:36
Wire wrap?

Zipties with those little square plastic stick-on things to attach the ties to?

Check at Radio Shack.

gamegod86
12-09-2004, 22:08
Is your coax a distribution system?

As in 1 source spread out to 9 TVs?

If so, you may need a distribution amp, especially if you have cable internet. Cable modems are really picky about signal strength, and every time you split it, the signal is attenuated.

You may possibly need something like the KR-104R on this page: http://www.markertek.com/p/fullpage.php?page=151 Right side, third from bottom.

You may need two or three (or a different, larger product) if you have 9 outputs.

pal2511
12-12-2004, 08:58
My coax is dist to 6 outputs.

Cable quality looks ok right now I dont have a problem and the cable modem is on a different splitter...

Roland-G23
12-12-2004, 09:22
I bought a Leviton distribution panel, RJ45 blocks, jacks, wall plates, coax splitter, and telco distribution panel at Home Depot in 2001 when we closed on this house (built 1962).

All previous CATV and telco lines were drilled through the floor near the baseboards in a couple of rooms.

I pulled Romex to a closet central to the house, cut into the sheetrock, and mounted the panel, and drilled through the floor directly under it to bring in RG6 coax from the CATV demarc, and shielded CAT 5 from the telco demarc. I pulled 3 strands Cat5 and 1 strand RG6 to each bedroom and the family room via the attic, drilled down through the top plate in the studwall, toned out my wires, labeled them, and installed wall plates with 1 RG6 coax connector, and 3 RJ45s. One room I pulled 2 extra RJ45s as that was my computer room.

I punched everything down to the 110 blocks included in my Leviton parts, put ends on the RG6 and attached them to the coax splitter, cross-connected 1 phoneline to each room, and then made some cables to another jack in the closet so I could patch it through to a switch connected to my DSL router.

I put a UPS on a shelf with the router, and attached the switch (now a firewall/gateway device) to the underside of the shelf.

Now that I have satellite, I replaced the coax splitter with a 1x4 multiplexer.

I need to run some new wires to other parts of the house, which may require a bigger panel that I can feed power to. I have to run the new cabling through the crawl space, as I have too much insulation in the attic to crawl through (had the attic brought up to R38, theres 2+ feet of fluffy white insulation in the attic now).

Fireglock
12-12-2004, 13:06
This site may help.

http://www.swhowto.com/

pal2511
12-15-2004, 12:39
Alright thanks for all the tips guys.

I am about ready to run my phone line into the house for the new phone line and into teh phone distribution block. Is cat 5 ok to run from the outside phone demarc box into the house. I heard the cat5 may get too cold and crack...is that true? I live in missouri and I doubt it can get THAT cold...anyways what else would I use