Honda RC51 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Honda RC51 ?

Glocker32c
11-26-2004, 07:45
The last motorcycle I bought was a 1973 Honda 750. Matter of fact I still have it. I have been looking at a Honda RC51.

Does anyone have one?

It looks scary fast??

Did tou pay list, $11,600 ?

Thanks,

Joey

LtTripMD
11-26-2004, 08:17
i don't own one. i've ridden several. they are very fast. the riding position is one of the more aggressive i've been on (which is a turn-off for me).

they sound incredible. they're very torquey.

i would recommend staying away. they're a lot of fun, but not worth the cost to the average rider.

it depends on what you want to do with it i guess, but unless your answer is "use it for my track racing" then it's probably more bike (higher displacement, higher sticker price, higher insurance) than you need.

trip.

Glocker32c
11-26-2004, 10:57
Trip - Any suggestions on a fast sport bike? I have always ridden a Honda, but maybe a change would be good. What do you ride?

Thanks,
Joey

Mad Ryan
11-26-2004, 13:09
I love my ZX-9 (2002) and would buy one again if I had it to do over. It's fast, handles well, and is comfy. The RC-51 is a fast bike, but get's killed by any of the liter class inline fours in all out power output. That being said, they handle like a dream, but they are pretty uncomfortable. I'd check out the superhawk, which has nearly the same motor, with a much more relaxed riding position for much less money. Also, the Suzuki SV-1000 is another great bike in the same vein as the Honda Superhawk.

My favorite sportbikes are

2004 Yamaha R-1
2004 Honda CBR 1000
2002+ Kawasaki ZX-9
Any of the 2000+ GSXR 750 or 1000

the GSXR 750 is a great bike.

chevrofreak
11-26-2004, 18:05
The RC51 is the single most uncomfortable bike I've ever sat on. The seat was just shaped wrong for me, and was painful in my thighs. Other than that......

hank327
11-26-2004, 21:12
Since you have a Honda 750 from the 70's you might like this.

The Kawasaki ZRX-1200R is in the style of a early 1980's superbike.
It's not as fast or as manueverable as a modern sport bike, but it is a very capabable machine. It is alot more comfortable than a modern sport bike as well.

The 'Rex is a very versitile. You can run through the twisties, sport tour across the USA, commute to work, or just cruise up and down the 'strip. Here's a couple of sites to check out.

http://zrxoa.org/

http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp

The engine is based on the Ninja 1100 and pretty much bulletproof.
It may not be the absolute best at any one thing, but it is very good at most of the things you will ask of a motorcycle.

LtTripMD
11-27-2004, 01:39
Originally posted by hank327

It's not as fast or as manueverable as a modern sport bike, but it is a very capabable machine. It is alot more comfortable than a modern sport bike as well.

The 'Rex is a very versitile. You can run through the twisties, sport tour across the USA, commute to work, or just cruise up and down the 'strip. Here's a couple of sites to check out.

It may not be the absolute best at any one thing, but it is very good at most of the things you will ask of a motorcycle.

yeah, i'm a big fan of teh REX. a lot of folks don't like the look, but i love it. classic lines. naked. easy to work on.

i'd definitely look in to that.

trip.

MikeG22
11-27-2004, 10:11
Any modern SS bike will suit you well. I've got an 04 suzuki gsxr 600 and it's a pretty sweet bike. Maybe not quite as fast as the litre bikes but the handling is amazing and it's a bit easier to ride. Realize that any of these will blow away anything your old 1973 bike could ever do so you may not want to start with too large of a motor.

Anyhow, the rc51 is much better as a track bike then as something you ride around much on the streets.

Check out www.gixxer.com

TreeTrooper
11-27-2004, 14:25
I am riding a 92 VFR750 at present (have been for the last 8 years), but I've had some stick time aboard an RC51 that belongs to a close friend. Fun bike, for about 20-30 minutes.

WERA49
11-27-2004, 22:32
I rode a RC51 and was disappointed with it. It didn't have near the power that everyone was claiming. To pass someone, it needs several downshifts.

Glocker23C, have you considered a Yamaha FZ-1? It has the R1 engine, but detuned for more torque.

The ZRX1200 looks great, but is heavy and slow. I rode one and was disappointed by it also.

The VFR800 is a nice bike but the suspension is overyl soft and it is heavy. However, it is narrow. That is always nice.

Many of you will love the bikes that I just mentioned. They aren't for me for the reasons sited. Please do not take that personally, I'm just trying to help Glocker23C.

In case your wondering, my everyday bike is a 2001 GSXR1000 with Heli bars. It is comfortable and fast. What else could I want? :)

freeride88
12-17-2004, 21:19
Originally posted by WERA49
I rode a RC51 and was disappointed with it. It didn't have near the power that everyone was claiming. To pass someone, it needs several downshifts.

Was it running stock gearing?

Was it missing? ;f

I owned one, and the last thing it needed was more torque. It's hard to believe that 130hp isn't enough for just about anyone. I'm licensed to race with WERA, currently running a supermotard on the track, and my RC was a great ride. It was a great handler, not very comfortable, but a really good bike. It's not for everyone.

norton
12-18-2004, 05:44
Nicky Hayden like his:)

45acp4me
12-18-2004, 09:52
Originally posted by hank327

Yeah, the Kaw or a Bandit 1200 are a nice blend between comfort and performance. The Yamaha FZ1 is a neat bike too, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the Kaw or Bandit.

Regards,
Glen

CBRGlocker
01-03-2005, 14:42
If you're looking for performance and comfort, check out the Yamaha FZ1. If you've been out of the saddle awhile, they also have the FZ6.

jemontgomery
01-03-2005, 21:55
another vote for the fizzy. i have one and love it!
comfortable,fast and "flickable" in the twisties, low priced too.

Litespeed_67
01-09-2005, 09:22
The only thing I found unconfortable on the RC51 was the rock hard seat. I wore bicycle shorts for most rides and that helped a little but there are gel seats available for it that will fix the problem. Any of the liter class inline-4's will take it in a straight line but the I-4's were never able to put the smile on my face like the RC51 did. If I ever decide to get another street bike it will definately be another RC51. Oh yeah, if you plan to carry passengers, look elsewhere....the rear seat setup on the RC51 is a complete joke.

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 15:44
Though I like Honda cycles in general, I feel that the RC51 is one of the worst they have made lately. Why?

1. Overpriced and overhyped.

2. Underpowered and 30MPG.

3. Low top end, and LOTS of rowing between gears.

4. Overpriced. The Super Hawk has most of the RC51's flaws, but at least it is cheaper and more comfy.

If I might make a suggestion, both the ZRX-1200 and the 1200 Bandit are great cycles, with the nod going to the Kaw for raw power and the 'Zuki scoring points for kewl looks.

I love my VFR800, but unless it is tweaked they are indeed slow; especially the newer ones. Mine is a 2001, which I traded a 1997 model VFR750 in on..and the 750 was faster in stock trim.

I have heard lots of good things about the FZ1 as well. It is said to be the fastest, and also the most tunable, standard out there right now. Were I to buy a standard today, this bike in blue would get the nod.

The best thing about naked or 'standard' bikes is that they are 90% as sporty as the bikes their motors came from, yet they are more comfortable - and best of all, the insurance is about 15%-25% as much as it would be for a bike with body panels.

And if you pay $80 a month for having spent fifteen years in the saddle with zero accidents, as I do, you tend to think about that now and then...

"Wow! If I had bought an FZ1 I could buy an extra Glock or two each year!!"

And as for what Norton said about Nicky Hayden...yeah, but just look what they have to pay the guy to get him to ride it!!;f ;a ;f

skorpio
01-13-2005, 21:02
Seeing as how I'm probably the only person to reply here WHO ACTUALLY OWNS a RC51...
Overpriced? $10,600 msrp, just like most other liter bikes
Underpowered? 125 hp and 71 lbs torque, how much more do you need?
Low top end? Stock one does 168-171mph, again, how much more do you need?

Yeah, it's not a bad bike. I've had mine since April '01, it's the orig 2000 model. Great sound, lotsa attention on the street, whether you want it or not! Stock gearing, 16/40, is way too tall, but was set that way by Honda to pass noise restriction policies for importation. Replace with a 15/40 or 15/41, and while you're at it, go with the 520 conversion. Dynojet PowerCommander with a Dan Kyle custom map, available free from DK. Slip on's work best, with Sato from Dan Kyle racing being the premium choice. I've had two different Two Brothers set-ups, Yoshimura full system (which I liked and sounded great), and now have Sato ti/ti hi mount slips. Great midrange, awesome weight loss. The seat is a plank, but it was not designed to be a tourer. The bike is Honda's homologation of the SP1 that took away the Superbike crown from Ducati in it's first year of racing, eventually winning two world titles (SBK with Colin Edwards), four Suzuka 8 hour endurance races, All-Japan Road Race championship several times over, the US superbike title (Nicky Hayden), amongst many others. I do race mine in heavy twins, and after some mods I fare pretty well, considering my skill level. Smooth power delivery, no power band like a 4 cylinder. Torque from 2k rpm's on up to the 9700 rpm soft rev limiter, and then to the 10,200 hard ceiling. With the 15/41 I currently run, I can hit the rev limiter in 6th with enough road.

Before the RC, I had a 2000 Superhawk, which was a kick-butt bike. Fun to ride, really fun, but just didn't quite have enough power for me. Before that was a ZX9R and a ZX6R. Figured out I was a twin guy. "Two big jugs are better that four small ones."

Try one out before you let all these other guys, who don't have one themselves, talk you outta it. Make your own decision.

ws6_keith
01-13-2005, 23:49
My dad bought one brand new. I rode it 4 hours out of our week riding trip in Northern GA. The seat was hard and just hit me right in the wrong parts of my butt. Power wasn't bad, but once I climbed on his turbo'd CBR1100XX, he couldn't pry me off!

WERA49
01-14-2005, 04:06
Skorpio, you're right. I don't have one. I rode one and didn't like the engine. Everything else was fine.

I will say this for the RC51, it is one of the best looking bikes of all times! The friends bike that I mentioned has white Marchesini's. I thought that the black wheels were perfect for that bike. It looks even better now. He also has the Sato Ti/DK setup.

gixxer11
01-14-2005, 18:29
If you want a V-Twin sportbike, go with a Suzuki. TL (S or R, my Dad rides an S, and he's increadably fast on it) or an SV. I've worked on pretty much all of them for a living (Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, and Aprilia), and would get the 'Zook, not just cause it's affordable, but they're also awesome bikes. Suzuki does their homework. RC51's are not that great of streetbikes. They do handle very well, but they're no where near as fast as some people (RC51 owners) would have you belive. V-twins are about as fast as newer 600s in a straight line. Twins just have a broader spread of power than 600.

WERA49
01-14-2005, 18:36
but they're no where near as fast as some people (RC51 owners) would have you belive.
True. Remember the rumors flying around just before it was released? It was supposed to be 'unrideable' because it was so fast. Soon after that, it was considered a 'classic'.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I'd still like to have a RC51. They are much better track bikes than streetbikes.

V-twins are about as fast as newer 600s in a straight line.
That seems correct.

Twins just have a broader spread of power than 600.
The majority of that is due to the larger engine. A 600 twin would have much less power than a 600 four cylinder.

Guys, I'm not against V engines. I have two but they are both two strokes. :) TZ250 (V-Twin) and RZ500 (V-4)

gixxer11
01-14-2005, 18:46
Wow, WERA, an RZ500. I've always wanted to check one out. I've only seen one in real life, at an AMA superbike race at Mid-Ohio. It sounded SOOOOO good. I'm impressed!

freeride88
01-17-2005, 10:50
Originally posted by skorpio
Seeing as how I'm probably the only person to reply here WHO ACTUALLY OWNS a RC51...
Overpriced? $10,600 msrp, just like most other liter bikes
Underpowered? 125 hp and 71 lbs torque, how much more do you need?
Low top end? Stock one does 168-171mph, again, how much more do you need?

Yeah, it's not a bad bike. I've had mine since April '01, it's the orig 2000 model. Great sound, lotsa attention on the street, whether you want it or not! Stock gearing, 16/40, is way too tall, but was set that way by Honda to pass noise restriction policies for importation. Replace with a 15/40 or 15/41, and while you're at it, go with the 520 conversion. Dynojet PowerCommander with a Dan Kyle custom map, available free from DK. Slip on's work best, with Sato from Dan Kyle racing being the premium choice. I've had two different Two Brothers set-ups, Yoshimura full system (which I liked and sounded great), and now have Sato ti/ti hi mount slips. Great midrange, awesome weight loss. The seat is a plank, but it was not designed to be a tourer. The bike is Honda's homologation of the SP1 that took away the Superbike crown from Ducati in it's first year of racing, eventually winning two world titles (SBK with Colin Edwards), four Suzuka 8 hour endurance races, All-Japan Road Race championship several times over, the US superbike title (Nicky Hayden), amongst many others. I do race mine in heavy twins, and after some mods I fare pretty well, considering my skill level. Smooth power delivery, no power band like a 4 cylinder. Torque from 2k rpm's on up to the 9700 rpm soft rev limiter, and then to the 10,200 hard ceiling. With the 15/41 I currently run, I can hit the rev limiter in 6th with enough road.

Before the RC, I had a 2000 Superhawk, which was a kick-butt bike. Fun to ride, really fun, but just didn't quite have enough power for me. Before that was a ZX9R and a ZX6R. Figured out I was a twin guy. "Two big jugs are better that four small ones."

Try one out before you let all these other guys, who don't have one themselves, talk you outta it. Make your own decision.

I owned one, as well. It's a great bike, doing what it was made to do, spending time on the track. It's a focused machine.

epsylum
01-17-2005, 21:08
The RC-51 was nice for it's day. But, motorcycle technology advances at a fast rate. The 51 is usual Honda. Release a bike. Has decent success (nothing HUGE). Then keeps making the exact same thing for the next 7 years. But each year charge a little more (ohhhh but this year it's black, well that's worth it;Q). It's not a terrible bike by any means, but I think you could make your $11,000 + go a little further than towards an almost 6 year old design (that's a LONG time in the sport bike world).

I second Gixxer11, get a Suzuki. If you spend much time crusing on a highway. Do yourself a favor and get a Hayabusa for that same $11,000+. You could then have the current speed king and kiss downshifting goodby (160hp and 99ft/lb torque is a beautiful thing). No, it's not a GSXR in the handling, but it will do a lot better than your current bike in the twisties (again thanx to technological advancement). Also I don't care how old it is, it still is one of the baddest looking bikes on the planet and still turns heads (with 1300cc onboard it'll back up those looks too). Yes it's a design from '99 but it still has a record for something (fastest sraight-line motorcycle). That cannot be said about the 51 which doesn't even have a reason for being any more now that the Superbike rules allow 1000cc 4 cylinders (currently being filled by the CBR1000RR).

Gixxer11, I know your with me on the Hayabusa thing.

freeride88
01-17-2005, 21:14
Originally posted by epsylum
The RC-51 was nice for it's day. But, motorcycle technology advances at a fast rate. The 51 is usual Honda. Release a bike. Has decent success (nothing HUGE). Then keeps making the exact same thing for the next 7 years. But each year charge a little more (ohhhh but this year it's black, well that's worth it;Q). It's not a terrible bike by any means, but I think you could make your $11,000 + go a little further than towards an almost 6 year old design (that's a LONG time in the sport bike world).

I second Gixxer11, get a Suzuki. If you spend much time crusing on a highway. Do yourself a favor and get a Hayabusa for that same $11,000+. You could then have the current speed king and kiss downshifting goodby (160hp and 99ft/lb torque is a beautiful thing). No, it's not a GSXR in the handling, but it will do a lot better than your current bike in the twisties (again thanx to technological advancement). Also I don't care how old it is, it still is one of the baddest looking bikes on the planet and still turns heads (with 1300cc onboard it'll back up those looks too).

Gixxer11, I know your with me on this.

Are you saying a Busa will hang with the RC51 in the twisties? If so, let me dig up the number of the guy on the Busa that I was lapping on my supermotard last year at Talladega. The Busa might beat your current bike in the twisties, if you're riding something that was made in the 80s, currently.

You're right, IF and ONLY IF you're one of those people who HAS to have the latest and greatest. I'm not sure you understand this, but Val Rossi on an EX500 would smoke 99% of the world on the bike of their choice on any track. I ride a motard on the track because it makes me a better rider. Until you can outride that supersport 600, you don't NEED anything else. The RC51 is a fun bike. It has ENOUGH power for anyone who's not a car-craft cowboy, as my father says.

If you don't like it, go fire up your spec sheet and go for a nice long ride.

chevrofreak
01-18-2005, 02:49
Originally posted by freeride88
Are you saying a Busa will hang with the RC51 in the twisties? If so, let me dig up the number of the guy on the Busa that I was lapping on my supermotard last year at Talladega.

Supermotards are some of the best handling bikes there are.

epsylum
01-18-2005, 15:07
Originally posted by freeride88
Are you saying a Busa will hang with the RC51 in the twisties? If so, let me dig up the number of the guy on the Busa that I was lapping on my supermotard last year at Talladega. The Busa might beat your current bike in the twisties, if you're riding something that was made in the 80s, currently.

You're right, IF and ONLY IF you're one of those people who HAS to have the latest and greatest. I'm not sure you understand this, but Val Rossi on an EX500 would smoke 99% of the world on the bike of their choice on any track. I ride a motard on the track because it makes me a better rider. Until you can outride that supersport 600, you don't NEED anything else. The RC51 is a fun bike. It has ENOUGH power for anyone who's not a car-craft cowboy, as my father says.

If you don't like it, go fire up your spec sheet and go for a nice long ride.

Okay first READ my post. Did I ever say a busa would out HANDLE a 51. NO. Did I say it would out handle his CB.. YES, because it will.

Secondly I said "If you ride a lot on the highway" not if you are going to track days. A busa is a nice bike for putting around town and going decent distances (since he has an old 750 I doubt he is planning on scrapeing the pegs off). Overall the busa is a good day to day bike and it has lots of power for when you want it.

GlockRat
02-01-2005, 22:14
My old RC51.. alot of fun!
Mine was a weekend toy, no commuting so it worked for me. The seat does suck though! :-)
I kinda miss her.

skorpio
02-02-2005, 17:26
Cool, did you get the kit from Red Racing parts?

I've been seriously toying with the idea of doing mine in the Laguna Seca stars and stripes pattern. But without the Marchesini's...:(

GlockRat
02-02-2005, 18:26
I bought the parts used from a guy in California. I totalled the bike then rebuilt it with this bodywork. I never got a chance to do a track day with it unfortunately, but did take my zx-9r to the track. If you ever get a chance to do a track day definately do it.
I added the Jardine high mounts and a power commander. They really woke the bike up, but it does need the gearing changed. The RC does have alot of potential.

skorpio
02-02-2005, 21:52
Thanks, but I have done about 3 years worth of track days with it.

I have regeared it, currently have 15/41 and 42, but changed to the 520 setup. Any serious owner of a RC must worship at the altar of Dan Kyle. So far he has taken me for a Scotts damper, Sato ti/ti hi mounts, the Renthal 520 15/41 42 conversion, Pirelli Evo corsas, braided ss brake and clutch lines, HRC pads, 19x18 brembo master cylinder, Moriwaki lower suspension link, DK rebuilt forks,... Bill Staab rebuilt my shock with NSR 250 components. Local bike shop got me for: PowerCommander II w/ Sato11 map, Yuasa YTZ7s battery, Vortex clip ons, rear sets, fuel cap, upper triple tree, ect. Track bodywork from OPP racing. Teknic one piece, Held gloves, Spidi Vert II boots, Shoei lid. Dropped the forks about 7mm through the trees. Turns in VERY QUICKLY now.

+ some other stuff I just can't remember right now.

Mad Ryan
02-04-2005, 10:19
Just pick up a new R-1.

One of my best friends has one (2004) and with slipons and fairly minor airbox mods he's getting 165rwhp (tuned on his shop's new Eddy Current Dyno) and the bike rails in corners. They look absolutely beautiful, and are comfy too. I think you can pick one up for around $10,500 any day of the week, and it'll rail all over the RC (No offense to RC-51 owners, but it will) I love the RC-51, but to get them to ride like the race bike they were based on you have to spend huge amounts of money on them, or you can buy a newer liter bike and run it fairly stock. The new CBR-1000R is actually the handling king if you swap out the rear shock of all the new liter bikes. That's another option.

What it really comes down to is rider. Most of the newer sportbikes are so good that if I were to take out my ZX-9 and do laps on a decent track against a guy on his RC-51 it would come down to the rider, although I have a weight and HP advantage, and my ZX-9 is already nearly 3 years old. Any of the new liter class inline bikes would kill a stock RC-51 on the track and are more rideable on the street because they were designed to be that way. They all weigh much less and have much more HP and better ergo's. I've ridden them all and like the R-1 for my 6' 210lb frame, but that's just me. It has the same "bigger bike" feel that my ZX-9 has with higher pegs.

I guess if you want something that you can climb on and not have to fiddle with then any of the newer liter class inline bikes will get you there (in a hurry) but if you want something that you can monkey with and tune and accessorize then the RC-51 is a great bike that handles like a dream, but it's not the best daily rider. It's like a Ducati in that respect, but not like the Aprilia (Strangly) as they seem to have captured the italian vibe.