How many rounds? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds?

Lior
11-26-2004, 14:20
GTers,
This is my first posting in this forum. I have never hunted before, and don't know what to think or say about it (that may change if ever I visit the US).

The question is as follows: how many rounds for your main hunting gun to you take when you go off hunting? How many per animal? I know that it probably varies by state, but is there any limit on the number of rounds one may carry or shoot?

8-Ball
11-26-2004, 14:38
I dont believe there is any laws on how many shells you can take. It depends on what is being hunted for how many shells I take. For deer hunting I load the 12 guage with slugs and hold 5 more with this
http://www.kolpin.com/images/products/206.jpg

that many shells is really not needed but you never know;)

For small game(squirrel, rabbit, etc.) I just load the gun and my hunting vest has a shell holder on it.

mpol777
11-26-2004, 16:54
For upland birds I dump a full box of shells in my vest pocket. There is a high percentage of misses, at least for me ;f, shooting the fast little birds. Waterfowl is usually just 2 in the gun and a handful in my pocket. When I hunt with a rifle I'll put 2 or 3 in the gun (unless it's a single shot) and 3 or 4 in my pocket. Handgun hunting I load the gun fully, so 6-10 rounds depending on the gun.

The only times I carry more than a few rifle rounds is if I'm going way, way out into the middle of nowhere. I'll pack a wallet of 20 rounds on those occassions in case things go bad and I find myself stuck out there for a while.

The only place I've been limited to the amount of shells is at a wildlife refuge. They only allow a few hunts each year and don't want folks blasting away and causing more ruckuss than needed. Each hunter is limited to 25 shells.

leeinmemphis
11-26-2004, 17:29
When deer hunting with a rifle I usually carry a box of ammo for the rifle I am carrying. I have never needed more than what the gun will carry but you just never know when a herd of deer may run through ;z

-lee-

Arc Angel
11-26-2004, 17:44
;Q For bird hunting with a shotgun, Iíve always carried a full box of 25 shells. (And on a busy day, Iíve needed them all.) For centerfire rifle hunting Iíve gone for the past 45 years with five rounds in the gun and ten more in a leather pouch on my belt. (There has never been an occasion when Iíve needed all fifteen. Most of the time only two or three centerfire rounds are sufficient.) ;)

PS: If you decide to go hunting on public game lands you may want to carry more ammunition with the gun. Last time I ventured out into the wilderness on the public domain I could have used, at least, a thirty round magazine. ;f

MrMurphy
11-26-2004, 18:36
Considering what happened in Wisconsin...... I wouldn't be going out without at least sixty rounds!

Sixgun_Symphony
11-26-2004, 19:32
Three to five rounds for deer season.

Sixgun_Symphony
11-26-2004, 19:35
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421555920/5.jpg

Anyone here up for the one shot challenge?

hank327
11-26-2004, 20:01
When deer hunting with a bolt action rifle, I usually carry the 5 rounds in the rifle's magazine and a couple of extras in my pockets.
If I am using a lever action like my Winchester Model 94, I just load up the magazine and go.

When bowhunting, I usually carry 4 broadhead tipped arrows and 1 judo point tipped one in a bow quiver.

noway
11-26-2004, 20:36
It all depends on what you are taking and what you plan on hunting for. Tomorrow I', going squirrel & coon hunting and I will carry #4 & #6 1 1/4oz 12ga shells and about 50 total plus 3 slugs for just in case a deer/hog gives me and opportunity. When I duck hunt I carry over 50rds due to shells dropping in water getting wet and of course all of the teal that I plan on missing. ;f

btw, Also it's betteer to have more and not need them vrs less and need more.

sarge
11-26-2004, 21:20
When I hunt small game with my rimfire rifle, I usually dump a box (50 rounds) in my ammo carrier.

For deer, when muzzle loading, I carry 3 loaders plus the loaded gun. Modern gun, 5 in the rifle (Ruger 77 25/06), and sometimes I carry 1 or 2 more in my pocket. Only twice in the 30+ years I have deer hunted have I needed more than 1 round.

lomfs24
11-26-2004, 22:44
Almost never need more than one round. I depends on what I am shooting though. With the 300 Win Mag it is one in the pipe, three in the mag and a handfull in my pocket.

Actually there is quite a pattern with me. As many as the gun will hold plus a handfull in the pocket.

StockGlock23
11-28-2004, 00:09
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421555920/5.jpg

Anyone here up for the one shot challenge?

Right here man!
I carry one in the pipe and 4 quick loads ready to go with a spare #209 primer
5 rounds 10 primers. never know when one may get wet.

GRIZZLYBEAR
12-06-2004, 06:20
For whitetail 6 rounds in the cylinder, and 2 or 3 in the pocket.
In over twenty-years of handgun hunting I have never used more than 3 rounds any game animal.

grizz

TScottW99
12-06-2004, 06:55
Whitetail

Bow - Four arrows
Muzzleloader - One in the pipe and usally two reloads
Rifle - Use a single shot, one in the chamber and about six in my ammo wallet. This year I have had three shots with two deer dead. One still alive and a bit smarter ;g

Turkey
Bow - Four arrows
Shotgun - Three in the gun and four in my vest. Plan on moving to a single shot for turkey come spring also. Will lower my count.

Waterfowl

Shotgun - At least 75 rounds of T, 2 & 4. Sometimes have to borrow from a buddy ;f

Dove

Shotgun - Usally take at least three boxes (75 rounds) and shoot until I run out ;f

Grouse

Shotgun - Proably about dozen #6's, though these days I'm lucky to fire a shot.

Squirrel

Rifle - One in the chamber plus a magazine full which is 11 then a small handful for extra. It's a .22LR.

Shotgun - Proably about a dozen or so in my game vest.

Virginia No limit on amount of ammo that can be carried. Though you can only have three rounds in your shotgun by law. No rifles for migratory fowl, .23 and larger for bear and deer and at least 350 foot pounds for pistol on bear and deer.